• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepguzzi
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Oct 21, 2000

Hydraulic Clutch

So, has anyone installed an aftermarket hydraulic clutch? I have a 1985 J10 that already has a T18 four speed out of a J20 in it.

Basically, I am looking for tips on master cylinder location and attaching it to the pedal.
    79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl
  • crazydog
    350 Buick
    • Nov 19, 2005

I used this setup when I converted my Cherokee from an automatic to a manual. I have a NV4500 that I connected to a 401 via a Advanced Adapters bell. I used a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate from BJ's. I mounted the clutch master next to my hydroboost unit and drilled the clutch pedal I acquired from a junkyard. If you have a vacuum booster, you may have fitment problems or maybe not.
    1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• Towtruck
      350 Buick
      • Oct 11, 2001

Originally posted by jeepguzzi
      So, has anyone installed an aftermarket hydraulic clutch? I have a 1985 J10 that already has a T18 four speed out of a J20 in it.

Basically, I am looking for tips on master cylinder location and attaching it to the pedal.
      I also have a J20 T18/208 in my J10. I've been using the clutch linkage from the J20, which has worked fine for going on two decades. But always looking for new ideas. I'll be following your project closely. By the way, I'm hunting for a used front driveshaft if you happen to know of a J20 parts truck.

Thanks, and good luck with the project.
      J10 - Body channel (3 inch drop @ front); dechromed; shaved side parking lights, antenna, and hood trim bar. Ford mirrors, roll pans, side exhaust, 16 inch wheels, custom dash, new interior, Edelbrocked 360, HEI, T18/208 (J20), rear disk brakes, goose neck and bumper hitches.

Comment

• crazydog
        350 Buick
        • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by crazydog
        I used this setup when I converted my Cherokee from an automatic to a manual. I have a NV4500 that I connected to a 401 via a Advanced Adapters bell. I used a Centerforce clutch and pressure plate from BJ's. I mounted the clutch master next to my hydroboost unit and drilled the clutch pedal I acquired from a junkyard. If you have a vacuum booster, you may have fitment problems or maybe not.
        Whoops forgot to include the link.

1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

Comment

• jeepguzzi
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 21, 2000

Yes, the brake booster is sort of in the way. I didn’t want to add hydro boost.
          What type of fastener did you use to attach the rod to the pedal, and where did you drill the pedal?
          79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• crazydog
            350 Buick
            • Nov 19, 2005

[QUOTE=jeepguzzi]Yes, the brake booster is sort of in the way. I didn

Comment

• jeepguzzi
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Oct 21, 2000

[QUOTE=jeepguzzi]Yes, the brake booster is sort of in the way. I didn

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Oct 21, 2000

It looks as if there will be enough room below and outside the booster to mount the new master cylinder. I hope.

Looking at then having to fab a pedal attachment point. I think I’m going to reinforce the pedal with steel plate to make an attachment point lower on the pedal. I’m trying not to drill a hole in the pedal, I don’t think there’s enough material there for that.
                I’ll also need to incorporate a stop so that I don’t bottom the master cylinder.

This project may extend into next year, which is fine.

Comment

• Kris
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 05, 2000

Ive done it.
                  Put an ax15 in my wagon with the hydraulic clutch. You can’t move the clutch master over enough to clear the brake booster without relocating your fuse block. I go over how I made room in the links in my sig below but if I had to do it again I wouldn’t waste my time. Hydroboost is the easiest solution and has the benefit of better brakes. Getting ready to go hydraulic in my sons j10 and already have the hydroboost waiting.

k.
                  89 Waggy

AX-15 swap info threads...
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=83102
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=97262
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104163
                  Theres more but that should get you started

Originally posted by JeepinPete
                  -If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all-

Comment

• AUSTJ4000
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 30, 2015

I found the master and slave from a late J series on Rockauto under $50 I had to make some of the hardlines and used a hydraulic hose from a brake system that was laying around. Clutch is baby light now; mine is a 72 J4000

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I used a low profile cylinder with remote cup. I tried the NOVAC and the OEM TJ cylinders and they were too big to clear the Booster.
                      similar to these: https://www.summitracing.com/search?...20remote%20res

Comment

• jpcoutts
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 28, 2002

Wouldn't the stock setup from the '80 up j trucks like AUSTJ4000 used work?
                        Jim C
                        '67 J3000 Dually
                        '86 J20
                        '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                        '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                        Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by jpcoutts
                          Wouldn't the stock setup from the '80 up j trucks like AUSTJ4000 used work?
                          My '82 J20 has a mechanical clutch. The only hydraulic clutch fro USA J-trucks I know of is the 230 trucks, '62-65.

The Aussie trucks are RHD, possibly using parts we can't get here.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jul 18, 2003

Wilwood makes a few different size and style master cylinders. Both with and without the reservoir on it.

Wilwood makes a wide assortment of small, lightweight master cylinders that are suitable for high performance street and racing applications and they are available in a variety of bore sizes. This page displays Master Cylinders: Compact Remote Master Cylinder

Wilwood makes a wide assortment of small, lightweight master cylinders that are suitable for high performance street and racing applications and they are available in a variety of bore sizes. This page displays Master Cylinders: GS Compact Remote Master Cylinder

Wilwood makes a wide assortment of small, lightweight master cylinders that are suitable for high performance street and racing applications and they are available in a variety of bore sizes. This page displays Master Cylinders: GS Compact Integral Master Cylinder

They also make a pull type slave cylinder. Not sure if it could be made to work with our systems, but maybe?

Wilwood makes a wide assortment of small, lightweight master cylinders that are suitable for high performance street and racing applications and they are available in a variety of bore sizes. This page displays Master Cylinders: Slave Cylinder
                            79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                            Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                            93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

Working...
                            X