• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83 chif
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 01, 2005

My diesel swap progress

Hey people, I've been posted threads and asking questions and bothering JeepinPete about my 6.2 swap since August, but I haven't had much time to work on my rig because of school. I just made some progress this weekend and took some pics though, so I figure I'd share.....

I have some photo's of my workspace, the new motor, the old motor and the Ford trans that I was going to use. I also have some photo's from the street, if you take a look, you can see why I like my parents so much, that mess has been there for months visible from the street, and they don't give me as much of a hard time as they could get away with. There is also a photo of one of my new front seats that I didn't mount up yet, and a photo of my Warn 8274 that will go up front when I'm done the swap.

I just got the trans (Getrag 5 speed) mounted this weekend, and I pulled all the old unnecessary hoses and junk and I stuck on some dynamat. All I have to do is find somebody who can weld in my conversion mounts, then hook up my hydroboost (which I didn't buy yet, but will buy from Elliot) and the hydraulic clutch set up. JeepinPete is actually doing a slight mod to my hydraulic clutch master cylinder then when I get it back I'll drill a hole in the firewall and bolt it up. Then I need to do the exhaust and radiator and a bunch of small junk...I still have a lot to do though, sort of discouraging, anyone have any motivating words??
    Last edited by 83 chif; 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM.
    - Doug

MY HEEP:
    daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K
  • 83 chif
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 01, 2005

pics

here's my second try to post the pics....
    - Doug

MY HEEP:
    daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K

Comment

• 83 chif
      327 Rambler
      • Sep 01, 2005

give me a sec

haha....i'll try again in a few minutes.....
      - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• 83 chif
        327 Rambler
        • Sep 01, 2005

here we go again.....

I also included a pic of my growing junk pile on the side of the house, it sits behind my Jeep in the back end of the driveway, I think it's a pretty impressive collection....
        - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• 83 chif
          327 Rambler
          • Sep 01, 2005

@$#&!!!!!!!

- Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• 83 chif
            327 Rambler
            • Sep 01, 2005

oh yea

oh yea, the best part....that warn winch was 50 beans at a junk yard.....it is complete too, that is just it stripped down ready to get a cleaning......
            - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• COLOFIREMAN
              Gone,But not Forgotten.
              • Apr 09, 2005

Looking good but I have question, did you go with the 6.2 due to having it or do you plan to turbo it?
              Jason in the Mountains
              1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
              1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
              1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
              1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
              1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
              1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• 83 chif
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 01, 2005

6.2L

I choose the 6.2L because I bought it from a friend for 400 bucks. I don't really plan to turbo it yet. I just want to get the truck running, then once I get more aquainted with the diesel, I'm going to heat the fuel lines and run it on WVO that I've been brewing on my campus. Of course I never heard about the bottom end exploding until after I bought it....wish me luck.....
                - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• JeepinPete
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 09, 2003

An engine swap is a lot of work, but when when you get it running, you'll have the biggest smile on your face, and then you will know it was worth the work.

By the way, I received the MC this weekend. I'll get it fixed up and sent back out some time this week...
                  Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                  Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                  Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• nixgtp
                    230 Tornado
                    • Aug 26, 2007

I just bought a 6.9L IDI international with a t18 in hopes of doing something like you are to my 68' waggy. But its going to be a long road.

Comment

• YellowJeep
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 20, 2007

Originally posted by 83 chif
                      I choose the 6.2L because I bought it from a friend for 400 bucks. I don't really plan to turbo it yet. I just want to get the truck running, then once I get more aquainted with the diesel, I'm going to heat the fuel lines and run it on WVO that I've been brewing on my campus. Of course I never heard about the bottom end exploding until after I bought it....wish me luck.....
                      If the bottom end comes apart, there are lots of spares out there! I'd venture to say you'll be quite happy with it when you are done.

I can't beleive this post has gone almost a whole page and no one has chimed in telling you an engine swap is a dumb idea! When they do, ignore them!
                      Chad-
                      88 Wrangler - TBI350 SM465 Ford 8.8
                      79 Cherokee Golden Eagle - AKA "The Screamin Eagle" 5.3 Runs and Drives. TH400 and Q-Trac!
                      77 Pontiac CanAm - 6.0LSx/4l80e swap
                      2010 - Ford Flex Limited AKA the wifes wagon
                      Carbs suck!

Comment

• Elliott
                        Cowboy Up
                        • Jun 22, 2002

I like the 5sp idea and man you sure scored on that Warn.
                        *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                        ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• willam
                          350 Buick
                          • Jul 12, 2005

nice work, keep it up.

One question? What type of vehicle did your drivers seat come out of?
                          It looks like it provides excellent support and is uber comfortable. I'll be looking for something soon and need idea's on seating.

Comment

• 83 chif
                            327 Rambler
                            • Sep 01, 2005

work

yea, i know when it's running again i will feel like my time was well spent, i can't wait to be driving that thing around....

the 6.9L sounds cool, but that is a heavy motor, are you going to reinforce the frame any?

i bought the seats from my friend, he couldn't remember what the car was called that they came out of, but he said it was a small two door awd car, maybe an Eagle Talon or something. My boss has an old Toyota BJ75 (?) from Canada that has almost identical seats, so maybe mine came from a Toyota sports car. Sorry I'm not sure, but they are wicked comfortable.....
                            - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

Working...
                            X