International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Classifieds > "Look Here" for Parts, Vehicles and Vendors > Homegrown Vendors: (Members who produce FSJ related items)

Old 07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Cowboy Up

Arrow Hydroboost your FSJ, CJ/YJ, Commando, M715, Bronco, IH, S10, C3, FJ40 for $125+, TX

Here are the current listings and these are available directly from me if you prefer not to deal with ebay (just send me an email here or through my ebay listing):

>>>Custom Hydroboost Sockets now available in kit form ($71. Shipped):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=300548972323

Contact me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com

>>>Hose kits (you cut/assemble to suit) available with pressure and return hose, four field serviceable 90* hose ends, four AN-6 fittings for the pump, hydroboost and steering box ports. $200

>>>NEW one ton GM hydroboost set up for TJ, FSJ, M715 ect. with varied mounts and a used GM 3500 or Ford disc/disc F250/350/450 MC for the large dual piston calipers and a MC rotator/adaptor plate with longer MC rod. The MC rotator/adapter plates are pictured further down and are CNC turned. (by request, $524 shipped or $464 in applications where the MC rotator/adapter plate is not required, ask)

>>>NEW one ton '55-'57 Chevy hydroboost setup inverted ($434 shipped)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-55-57-Chevy-Hydroboost-and-mount-/300670492567?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item46015b9f97

>>>NEW one ton '74+ FSJ or Jeep TJ hydroboost setup ($434 shipped)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-74-88-Full-Size-Jeep-or-Jeep-TJ-Hydroboost-/300658353993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item4600a26749

>>>NEW one ton for '67-'73 FSJ or M715 hydroboost setup ($434 shipped)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-74-88-Full-Size-Jeep-or-Jeep-TJ-Hydroboost-/300658353993?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item4600a26749

>>> NEW one ton for '62-'66 FSJ hydroboost setup ($434 shipped) Ask for availability

Contact Me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com

>>>and cheaper Astro unit ($150 shipped (less MC), add $53 if you want the single flange mount, or add $25 for a 1" spacer
Sold Contact Me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com and I will obtain more with prepayment

>>>Long rod Astro...
Sold Contact Me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com and I will obtain more with prepayment

Interested in a kit mount you build/weld yourself for just about any 4x4 or hot rod using your own hydroboost? email me through the forum or contact me through the ebay listings.... (NO private messages please) Also available via http://www.txfsja.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=74 in the vendor section.

If you have done brake upgrades, have a good solid system but just don't think it's up to what you'd really like... this system will knock your socks off.

New additions: I finished a '79 full size Bronco, '48 Dodge Power Wagon, IH Scout II (see below) and IH Series 150 hydroboost. The Jeep TJ hydroboost fitting turned out a winner. The Jeep ZJ hydroboost mount has been completed and installed. I have worked up most of what I need to do an install on a '57-'58 Buick. Let me know if I can work out something new for you.... I've had requests for.. like an '84 Camaro... etc. I successfully test fit a '67 Camaro hdyroboost, and I'm currently looking at doing a C-4 Corvette, the T100 Toyota and Tacoma/Tundra has been completed and I have a guy in the Netherlands test fitting a '70 Chevelle hydroboost mount, also working out details on the Scout 80 with one installation completed and looking to simplify it a bit for a direct bolt in.

Below is a pic of the new hydroboost I have for sale ('93-'95 P30/3500 one ton van) with the new stainless mount. These HBs have the smaller hole at the front so they won't fit the ~'2000+ disc/disc GM master cylinders without the addition of an adaptor... but I'll consider doing those for folks if needed or you can use other disc/disc masters such as the '78 Corvette. They all have a threaded/removable brake rods for adjustment or coupling to someone's existing MC rod if required. These are exceptionally hard to come across so I bought a supply of them while I could. If you want one and want a longer accumulator I do have a few of those left. I'll be adding pics at some point to show what all I can do with various rotations using my newer single flange mounting plate. Nobody out there has anything close to what you can do with this as far as rotations/adaptations to other MCs, trust me on that because this is what I do every week.

***Pricing on the new units with a painted mount is $434 shipped or with a 304 stainless mount it's $479 shipped (while the small supply of stainless mounts lasts, the next run might be double...) the stainless plates are cut a little oversize and are blank for the bolt pattern to keep them more universal, the fit and drill is up to you but it is a pretty close match to the aluminum firewall block.... too narrow for a CJ, but will fit a TJ and many other vehicles at 5x5".

Shown with a single flange stainless mount:

Shown with P30 master cylinder: (these new hydroboosts are also available with a longer accumulator for another $50)

Here are the master cylinder rotator/adapter plates, these are available now with whatever you need for just about any MC and I have many master cylinders too, just ask:

>>>Ask me about the AMC V8 dual power steering pump setup I've worked up to run a designated pump for HB so you can use the primary pump for steering assist and have plenty of flow using any HB from the Astro on up.

Join/follow the discussion here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=112665

It gives you 1500PSI designated strickly to your HB and mounts under your current PS pump so you can easily add a remote reservoir.

In order to purchase these the brackets are linked to here in the vendor section at: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...04#post1042804

Or Contact Me at sterlingworth16 at yahoo dot com

Last edited by Elliott : 12-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Cowboy Up

Want some info?

1) It’s bolt in, four bolts at the firewall, four bolts from the HB mounting plate to the firewall spacer and then the hoses and the two bolts for your MC ('74-'80 only) if you wish to retain it. If you keep your MC you don’t have to bleed your brakes.

2) One version of the Full Size Jeep mounting assembly is this single flange mount. This is attached to the HB where the mounting plate is usually held in place by the large nut and has the correct spacing for the brake rod when bolted to the aluminum firewall block on the '74+ FSJ:

(pic 2 is with Astro HB, pic 3 is with the new grommeted/adjustable rod one ton HB, pics 4&5 is with a 2004 GM disc-disc setup)

3) This is a '95 Astro HB bushed for the FSJ pedal pin and shown with the $25 1" mounting block spacer ('74+ FSJ):

4) This is an Astro van HB setup using a stainless mount that will bolt straight to the face of the aluminum firewall block on a '74+ FSJ:
***These single flange mounts in 304 stainless (TIG welded) are $98)

5) Various "universal" plates (less the tube and nut plate):

6) Here is a Dodge rotation on a mount set up for a CJ8:
*** priced at $53 for the mount

7) This is a YJ single flange/Astro setup:

8) Here is the first prototype '67-'73 FSJ & M715 Position 2 mount for where the brake rod attaches to the driver's side of the pedal (requires one hole to be drilled through the firewall to the pedal mounting assembly):
*** priced at $53 for the position 2 single mount

9) Here is the first prototype '67-'73 FSJ & M715 Position 1 mount and HB assembled for Jeeps with the brake rod attaching to the passenger side of the pedal:
***priced at $53 for the single flange position 1 mount

10) Here's a Jeep ZJ hydroboost mount setup:
*** priced at $53 for the single flange mount

Last edited by Elliott : 07-25-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Cowboy Up

Some questions your might have:

What the heck is hydroboost?
Hydroboost is a hydraulic brake booster that replaces your vacuum booster, it results in ~2-3x the braking pressure for the same amount of pedal pressure as vacuum operated brakes. It runs off of your power steering pump.

If it runs off my power steering pump and my pump dies, the belt breaks, or the engine quits how do I stop?
Well if you have vacuum brakes and your engine quits how do you stop? On manual brakes, and isn't that a grunt? So, there is an advantage to hydroboost in those circumstances because it has an accumulator for residual pressure in the event of losing the pump. The accumulator is the gold cylinder usually seen on the right side of the unit, it's filled with 1,500 psi of nitrogen and when your pump is running it fills the chamber with PS fluid and compresses a piston. Provided you have a full charge of nitrogen in your accumulator (yes they can go bad) you will have 2-3 full power brake applications in the event you lose the pump... before you switch to manual brakes.

Will my power steering pump be adequate to run both the brakes and the power steering?
In most cases the answer will be yes. If your pump is already on it's last legs than it will be obvious when you add the additional work load of the HB. Because the HB requres very little of the pump's pressure typically the only time you might notice a drain on your power steering capacity is while you are applying the brakes and turning at very slow speeds with large tires in an offroad situation. If you encounter that situation you can 1) upgrade to a higher performance PS pump, 2) swap in a pressure relief valve from a GM dually truck PS pump that was in a hydroboosted system, 3) figure a way to swap on a GM power steering reservoir can that had the additional return line nipple so you can eliminate the barbed hose T-fitting that are included in the kits I sell.

Can I run a second PS pump on my AMC V8 strictly for the hydroboost so I can run my steering assist off the primary pump?
You sure can and there are a number of ways to add another pump to an AMC V8. I've designed some brackets that locates another pump directly below your primary pump in the space where the air pump used to locate and this uses the same brackets and belt. You need to use an AMC 5" dual groove ps pulley on the second pump to match the primary pump and this has only been worked up for the two groove alternator set up so far. Currently the system is about to be trail tested. Follow the development at: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=112665

Can I just use my master cylinder or do I need to buy one with the Astro HB?
Some of the Jeep master cylinders will not work the HB for a couple of different reasons. If you already have an OEM aluminum MC (1981+) it's not going to fit into the HB so you will need to either buy one with the Astro HB or source your own elsewhere (the stub end of the MC needs to be 1 1/2" to fit into the HB, no larger on most HBs. The bolt spacing is 3 7/16). If your MC is iron and installed on a currently vacuum assisted Jeep from 1980 to 1974 you can retain your MC if you like, it will bolt directly to the Astro HB and you will have one less hydraulic system to bleed on installation. For Jeeps prior to 1974 I recommend replacing your OEM master cylinder and most cases will require it (I'm not recommending the modifications it would take to make some of those work). Whatever MC you use with this HB it will require a shallow dimple on the piston as pictured on here:

I need to replace my master cylinder also, how do I bench bleed it so my brakes bleed faster?
Check out these instructions here:

How much do hoses cost, where do I get them and what are the part numbers?
You will need, at the minimum, two pressure hoses and six feet of return line. Plan to buy six 3/8" hose clamps for the return line as well. You can buy the hoses anywhere you want, I priced them at about $50 for all of it at AutoZone... and that's for the cheaper ones. I'm not going to give you the part numbers because they really aren't that helpful and will even slow you down if you try to use them at AutoZone due to their inventory system.
1) If you have a 1980+ Jeep and your power steering system is stock then you have metric 0-ring fittings and you can simply ask for power steering hoses for a 1989 GM dually 3500 with a 350 engine and hydroboost. Pump to HB is #91651 (41.1/4") and HB to gear is # 91659 (44 3/16").
2) If you have a 1979 down Jeep and your power steering system is stock then you have flared hose fittings and those are going to require adapting to the metric 0-ring fittings of the hydroboost I sell. (see below)
3) For stainless braided hoses and fittings you can order those through: http://www.hydratechbraking.com/ I can provide the part numbers for you and have priced this out at $89.95 for the hoses and $148.02 for fittings required to adapt to 3/8 flare pump/steering box using the barbed hose return Tee fitting, prices will vary with optional fittings. This totals $237.97 and that did not include shipping.
4) If you want to source your own 3/8 barbed brass hose fitting for the return line you can find them here: http://www.plumbingsupply.com/barb.html Autozone also carries it as a fuel line Tee fitting.

Are the GM hoses a direct bolt up?
They will bolt straight up to the hydroboost. At the pump and power steering box it requires that you bend the hoses to match. Pictures will be posted as to how to bend them later in this thread.

Does it matter how I hook up the T-fitting for the return line?
It is critical that the T-fitting is installed in only one way or you will have trouble with your system. Here's the correct way to plumb it:

That reservoir on the Astro/Safari hydroboost looks kind of small, is that going to work with the rear disc brakes I plan to use?
The Astro/Safari reservoir is adequate for disc/drum applications, not for disc/disc setups. You can remove and replace the reservoir with one from your Jeep MC if you have the plastic reservoir (1981+) or take one from a GM truck in a parts yard. On occassion I can do the swap for you if you request it. If you do it yourself (some reservoirs will be brittle from heat and shatter) when you go to re-install it place the grommets in the master cylinder first and then plug the reservoir in.

What if my truck has drum brakes all the way around, will this still work?
Not necessarily, but the set up is more involved. You have to source a few more parts and drill two additional 3/8" holes in your firewall (I'm designing a new mount to use all your existing bolt holes so check on availability). Your brakes must not have any imbalance before doing this.

Will I need to add a residual pressure valve to my brake system to use this with all discs or all drums, and which one would I use?
Yes, if you have drum brakes you will want to add a 10Lb. residual pressure valve to the line that serves the drum brakes. (the rear port on the aluminum master cylinders serve the front brakes). If you plan to run all discs you are best off to add only an adjustable prop valve to the line that serves your rear brakes, but again some will tell you they felt it wasn't required. Residual valves are available from Summit Racing for about $20.00 and you can often find the prop valves on Ebay for around $60-$70.

What if I have really crappy brakes, my wheel cylinders are crude, shoes are old, hard brake lines are pitted and rubber lines are cracked... this is going to improve my brakes still?
No, it will make your brakes more likely to fail due to the increased pressure. Bring your system up to safe operating conditions prior to considering installing a hydroboost system.

Can I use cheapo power steering fluid?
I don't advise it. Howe Performance recommends using GM Goodwrench PN: 89020661.

Should I add a filter?
A filter is a great idea, it cost more... maybe $30 for some. You can place it in the return line between the Tee-fitting and the PS pump reservoir. Clean fluid is the key to hydroboost longevity. Look up AC Delco PF833 (that may be a Purolator #) for ~$12.00. For a really nice, cleanable PS filter from Cardone check out part # 20-0038F (available at Oreilly's and Summit Racing $15.21-$19.95)
http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/STEERING/20610MILFF%20MagnaPure%20Inline%20Filter%20Flyer.p df

Last edited by Elliott : 04-04-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
Cowboy Up

Let's see some more pics...

If you are building custom hoses using 37* flare JIC 90* swivel fittings and need to know the part numbers for the respective AN-6 port adapters here they are as follows below: (note you can buy the field serviceable 90* swivel hose ends and build your own pretty easy, PSC sells those, the fittings and the hose http://www.pscmotorsports.com/ ).

Steering box pressure out (most 1979 down), 11/16x18 flare: Aeroquip # FBM2965 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF03)
or
Steering box pressure out (most 1980 up), 18x1.5mm: Aeroquip # FBM2609 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF01)

Pump pressure out (most 1979 down), 5/8x18 flare: Aeroquip # FBM2964 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF04)

or
Pump pressure out (most 1980 up), 16x1.5mm: Aeroquip # FBM2608 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF02)

1992 HB pressure in, 18x1.5mm: Aeroquip # FBM2609 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF01)

1992 HB pressure out, 16x1.5mm: Aeroquip # FBM2608 (PSC Motor Sports SKU #: PSC-SF02)

HB return out (if not using the hose barb and you want to plumb for JIC fittings) 5/16x24 o-ring Boss

Here are the pics for where to bend the two '89 GM 3500 (with hydroboost) pressure hoses to match your pump and box, be careful not to kink them as the HB requires full flow. After they are bent you can cut the very ends at the pump and box if you have flared fittings and install the respective nuts from your old hose and reflare. (alternatively you could buy 18 & 16mm insert adapters for the HB (shown in the first pic below) and use flare fitting hoses without having to cut the ends)

Lee Manufacturing Co
11661 Pendleton St
Sun Valley, CA 91352
818-768-0371

(Double check these part numbers are for the 18 & 16 mm HB ports)
Pressure 40620 $3.97
Return 40630 $3.97

Hose bend, how to using Edelman Pump to HB hose #91651 (41.1/4") and HB to gear hose # 91659 (44 3/16"):

I'm running a big block and need all the room I can get, can I run this thing upside down for more valve cover clearance?
-or-
I'm running a 6 cylinder with a weber carb and need more clearance at the throttle rod, can I run this thing upside down?
Yes, it can be installed upside down and will operate just fine. You will need to work with the hoses fitting up inverted and it will take a little longer to bleed air from the system but it will work.
Ask me about custom rotations other than 180* if interested.

What does it look like installed in a FSJ with a 1" spacer?
This is in a 1980 using the OEM MC, later rigs with the later style cruise control servo require the servo to be relocated on the inner fender:

Here's another pic of it installed in a FSJ using a 1" spacer, with the Astro MC and a Jeep plastic reservoir: (pardon the filth...)

Wonder if you have hood clearance for the late model '03+ GM unit with the tall MC reservoir? It fits:

IH C1000 Series Hydroboost Installation:

How do I know if my hydroboost has a staked or removable rod end?

Custom brake rods for the removable rod hydroboosts (held in place by a grommet):

I built my own mount and need to shorten my own rod, what is the best way and how short can I make it?
Cut/thread 3/8x24tpi and use a coupler with jam nuts. Don't thread it up past where you need to hold it with the vise grips or the jam nut will hit the HB casting when the pedal is fully depressed. Before you start, be sure you have enough OD on the rod to give you enough depth on the threads... some rods don't. Here's a pic of how far up you can thread the rod:

How can I be sure it won't bind and that I have enough pedal travel?
First, check to be sure you have gap at the pedal and pedal assembly crossbar at rest so you know you don't have a constant, partial on situation:

Then, check to be sure that as you articulate the pedal you don't have binding that occurs between any part of the rod and the back of the hydroboost casting:

Last edited by Elliott : 01-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Cowboy Up

This is the Jeep TJ Hydroboost with the dual flange mounting assembly (discontinued in favor of the single flange mount, but available on request) that has been test fit:

Here is the Jeep Commando set up:

Commando HB set up for previously manual braked rigs (not sure if this will fit in rigs previously fit with vacuum assisted brakes, still working on sorting that out)

Here's pics of the Toyota FJ-40 setup:

Pics of assembled unit with 2” stainless spacer: This has an adjustable pushrod and clevis and the hoses are adapted for flared fittings. (hoses, and custom work on this setup are additional costs)

Here's pics of the single flange spacer Kevin designed for his early Bronco. Unlike other Bronco HB mounts this allows the column shift linkage to clear the HB:

The custom one ton HB setup for the early IH C1000 series trucks and Travelalls require a special mounting plate and custom work on the pedal rod.

Here's an Astro unit set up with the larger reservoir for disc/disc on a IH Scout II, this is a single flange mount and requires I install it on the HB prior to shipping (unless you have a Kent-Moore socket for the nut):

This is the single flange style above, installed on a '77 Scout (thanks for the pics Jim):

'79 Full Size Ford Bronco Hydroboost:

'48 Dodge Power Wagon Hydroboost: (for/custom pedal assembly)

Last edited by Elliott : 09-04-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Cowboy Up

What aluminum master cylinder will fit the hydroboost and work with all but the largest dual piston calipers, since my '81+ FSJ MC won't fit? I want something I can use for disc/drum or disc/disc....
Source a '96 Chev C3500 (5.7L) 1 1/4" bore MC. LF port = 1/2-20 inv, LR port = 9/16-18 inv. The following are part numbers:
Cardone #132535
Dorman #M390279
Raybestos #MC390279
Bendix #13252

How to bleed your power steering system after HB installation:

Here's tech on bleeding the system:
http://www.cardone.com/english/club/Products/BRAKES/Protech/Tech_Bulletins/PT%2052-0001.pdf

To view a video of bench bleeding the MC using a Cardone syringe, part # 10-5000MCB check out:
http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/10908BBF%20bench%20bleeder%20flyer.pdf
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEv4y_QqXk

If you have a filthy fluid situation and it requires flushing due to problems that have developed (believe me, there is crud in your steering box) here is tech for that and part numbers for filters to use:
http://www.cardone.com/english/club/Products/BRAKES/Protech/Tech_Bulletins/PT%2052-0002.pdf
***For a really nice, cleanable PS filter from Cardone check out part # 20-0038F (available at Oreilly's and Summit Racing $15.21-$19.95)
http://www.cardone.com/English/Club/Products/STEERING/20610MILFF%20MagnaPure%20Inline%20Filter%20Flyer.p df

What kind of line pressure can you expect from hydroboosting your rig?
Stu has a real nice article on how he went through a lot of trial and error to get his TJ set up like he wanted and posted this pic showing what he obtained for actual line pressure at idle. Check out his article and know that I thank him for giving permission to share the pic here. When I have tooling in hand I intend to also post some pics of the pressures I obtain in the various systems I help put together.
Stu's article where I found his pic:
http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/vanco/hydroboost-4.htm

Here is a pic a customer measured at idle for a 2,400psi reading which should give the max of 2,600psi running (thanks John):

Do I help guys with hotrods?
You bet, I love working up new solutions. Here's some pics:

John's '37 Plymouth Tudor

Nathan's blown '55 Chevy w/big block and tall covers

Daniel's '67 Camaro

Larry's '55 Chevy

Al's '55 Chevy

Scott's twin turbo '68 Chevelle

Last edited by Elliott : 03-29-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:51 PM
Cowboy Up

So what do folks think who've installed one of these units?

Here's some feedback I've gotten:

IFSJA member jc8:
Bought hb/mc/pv

“I bought a complete kit from you off of Ebay.
I thought I would share my experience if there are still doubters!!!
Now first off I have a CJ8 with a swapped in AMC 360 and 727.
The axles are C303 portal axles. Drums at all four corners.
I had a dual diaphragm booster and mc from '85 GW. The brakes were not impressive to say the least!
I made my own spacer, should have bought one from you guys!!!
Everything bolted up. I bled the brakes and all I can say is THANK-YOU.
I've hated having an auto when I came to a descent on the trail, now I can actually control the Jeep!!! JUST FRIGGIN' AWESOME!!!!
Oh yeah I'm on 42s!
JC

Ps. I should add that A TREMENDOUS amount of fabrication was done long before I did the HB swap. I don't want anyone to think they can just bolt up a GW booster in to a CJ!!!!”

IFSJA member Billy Bob:
Bought a hb for his ’80 Cherokee WT

“I am still lovin my hydro boost. Best mod ever on a lifted SJ with larger than stock tires. Nothin like stopping on a dime and getting change back!”

IFSJA member Hutti:
Bought hb/mc. Installed on an ’87 Grand Wagoneer

“Yeeeeeehaaaw! Can't believe how well this works. Thanks for your help and carrying the info together. I just finished it this afternoon and I was able to lock up all 4 tires (35")...actually scared me.
I reused the original steering pump to gear hose...a little bending on the pump side and voila. The hose suggested from the HB to the gear is perfect, as if it was made for a HB retrofit on a Waggy.
ohhh, I did replace the Astro reservoir with the waggy reservoir (got discs in the rear)....it is much easier to get the reservoir back on if you first put the black rubber seals onto the MC and then push the reservoir in.”

IFSJA member londonhogfan:
Bought hb. Installed on 1977 Cherokee.

“It's not a direct bolt in. You have to do a little playn with the lines. I recommend the spacer.... made life much easier.
Took us a couple of hours (hardest part was getting the passenger side lower bolt off the freaking vacuum booster)
It was worth every second (and penny) it took to get it going. It's amazing the difference it makes.
Spacer works great. Was able to get the brake pedal pin right in.”

IFSJA member djmac:
Bought hb/mc. Installed on ’82 J10 w/Ford 460, 35” TSLs.

“It's installed and what a difference. It's still doing a lot moaning and groaning 'cause I did not do a very good job of avoid air bubbles but I figure that will work itself out in the next few days. It has a totally different feel than vacuum assist but much more powerful. It made a lot more for the 460 too. I used the Astro booster and Master Cylinder the fittings fit perfectly in the Astro M/C.”

IFSJA member 83waggy:
Bought hb. Used a YJ master cylinder that looks just like an Astro MC. Installed on ’83 Wagoneer w/33” MTRs.

“These units are awesome, the stopping power is so much more it is like night and day. Installation is simple.”

IFSJA member Cecil 14:
Bought hb/mc. Installed on ’83 J10 with 4.6L stroker, 33” tires.

“I used the Astro booster upside down with the Astro MC and Jeep reservoir.It's finally done! The motor runs great and the hydroboost is AMAZING. The slightest touch of the pedal and she stops RIGHT now. I think together with the rear disks this is definitely the ultimate brake combo. I'm very happy with the results and thank you greatly for your help putting it together. If I even breath on the pedal those 33's are standing still. I LOVE IT!”

IFSJA member outagas:
Bought hb. Installed on his ’73 J10 with all drum brakes (fabbed a long rod to fit his deep style plunger on his OEM MC).

“Just finished the hydro boost install on my 73 j4000.For those of you with the 73 and older trucks with drum brakes you need to do this. There have been many close calls in my truck because of my stopping abilities. Now I can stop on a dime. Those of you who have done this know what I’m talking about. It was fairly inexpensive and worth every penny. I bought everything threw Elliott at a great price and his tech support and knowledge was priceless. (Thanks for everything Elliott) For sure the best mod you can do on our old trucks.”
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Cowboy Up

Other questions that come up?

I want to run disc/disc and understand some guys feel the disc/drum proportioning valve has worked well for them but I would rather use a disc/disc proportioning valve, what options are there for me?

1) Check my for sale listings first, some of my late model units were designed for disc/disc. If you buy the hydroboost from me I include that proportioning valve (when available) with the hydroboost at no addition charge.

2) BJ's Offroad sells a disc/disc prop valve for ~$105 that replaces your OEM valve. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/CartGenie/...st.asp?scat=73

3) BJ's Offroad sells an adjustable valve for $50. http://www.bjsoffroad.com/cartgenie/...pid=986&cid=10

4) For another option on the adjustable valve there is a seller on Ebay that lists one for $70 shipped. See: classic_performance_cpp

Can I run a PS cooler with this?
Certainly, make sure it is installed down line from the T-fitting in the return line if a T-fitting is used. Do not use a cooler that is more than two pass. A member here will be doing some flow tests on the std two pass as well as the plate type coolers, stay tuned for feedback.

Can this be used in combination with steering assist?
My feeling is that with modifications it will work fine in many applications in combination with steering assist. This will be explored more but there are things you can do to improve/hot rod your HB without having it "flowed". Using a smaller (less than 2") steering assist cylinder would benefit in this situation. The best case scenario, IMO, is to run a dual PS pump setup and you can fab your own or I sell most of the parts to do it for an AMC V8: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=115107

How can I get the most out of my low speed performance?
You can get the most out of your HB by eliminating the T-fitting in the return line. In many cases you will never find the need to do this but if you have a doubled transfer case and running some seriious crawl ratio with an auto tranny and you rock crawl then you want all the low rpm performance you can get. Install/braze a second return nipple to the side of your PS reservoir can. Also, if you don't already have a high flow pump then go to the wrecking yard and pull the relief valve and spring out of a similar year range one ton truck that had HB (you want to stay consistent with either 3/8" flare fittings or metric o-ring, depending on what you have in your rig). Install this in your pump and it will boost you from 1,100/1,300 psi to 1,500 psi.

One more way is to run the dual PS pump system on the AMC V8 so you can run a second pump with all 1,500 PSI designated strictly to the HB Check out the parts I've put together at: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=115107

Last edited by Elliott : 06-04-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:23 PM

will the HB work on a '67 Wagoneer that has stock brakes? I'm just not comfortable driving it here in southern california traffic the way the brakes are.....what mods would be required to make it work?

Thanks!
Chad
Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Cowboy Up

The slightly lighter hitting Astro HB would work in your application. You do want your hoses and seals all in good shape. You have to have at least a power steering pump. This would require a mounting assembly and the hoses would need to be adapted to your flared fittings but it's not a big deal, I cover all that above in the questions and some of the decriptions of details (above).
Send me an email through the forum if you want some help sorting this out.
Elliott
Old 08-07-2009, 01:50 AM
Murphy's Law Poster Child

Any news on the IH trial yet?

'82 J10
'65 J2000

Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Cowboy Up

He has it in there and it's working for him but I need to get back to him for some updates as I'm also trying to revise the mounting plate for a more universal/less work installation. The setup we worked up fits though.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Cowboy Up

Some new hydroboost mounts being test fit right now... These all have the Astro bolt pattern on the hydroboost mounting plate. Why? ...because it is the only plate that will let you rotate the HB 180* while not changing the angle on the master cylinder. If you have something other than an Astro HB I sell the Astro repro mounting plates on ebay.

CJ with 6* built in (this is the design for former vacuum brake equiped firewalls, the two bolt firewall for manual MC will take the FSJ firewall bolt pattern assembly):

'55-'57 Chevy (+) with 6* angle built in:

Working it up for a '67-'69 Camaro, ~'59 Ford, '66 Buick, '69 Buick, '76 Impala, '84 Camaro, Jeep TJ, and I think the YJ is slightly different.... stay tuned.

If you are reading this and not a member here you can reach me through my ebay listing. If you have something custom in mind let me know if this doesn't cover it.

Last edited by Elliott : 08-26-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Master Mechanic

Pic of the brake pedal

Elliott, here is a pic of the brake pedal of fthe 1986 Jeep J20, which you asked for. PLEASE NOTE that the center of the arm pivot starts at the 2.0" mark and measures down to 5.75" on the booster arm mount, so it is 3.75" between centers.

I also have a J20 pedal from a stick-shift truck, mid 1980's also, if you would like a dimension off that one.

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Cowboy Up

Thanks Greg, it's the same for the manual tranny brake pedal with the 7/16 pin for the MC rod. However, on the Kaiser rigs that have the 5/8 pin the distance is 4.25 on a auto pedal so I'm thinking with the my HB mounts I probably should have 6* angle on the rod so there is no binding. Will check out those options. Thanks for the help there.

Last edited by Elliott : 08-29-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
Master Mechanic

Elliott,
You're most welcome for the help.

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Cowboy Up

New Hose Configuration

I picked up some '89 GM C2500 hydroboost hoses today. They are shorter than the '85 hoses and the HB to gearbox hose is a bolt up, with what appears to be little to no bending. The pump to HB required bending and it's a lil tricky at the pump.
Anyway, I think the shorter hoses will be appreciated and here's a pic of how they lay out differently at the HB end of things (part numbers were edited above in post #4):

Last edited by Elliott : 09-05-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Cowboy Up

You know... I'd be in the yards tomorrow picking up more HB's if they were open for Thanksgiving. Looks like i'll make a parts run Friday so if you want an astro HB send me an email now and I'll set one aside. I can take a 3/4-1 ton and cut the rod down also... and have three of those right now.

Check my first post here if interested in a dual pump set up for the AMC V8, that gives you a designated pump strictly for your HB.... it's being trail tested soon.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Cowboy Up

Have now added a Scout II hydroboost setup, see the first post here for pics. I'll add more when it's installed.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Grease Monkey

Could I come pay you a visit and have you install it for me? if so how much?

soa/sf
36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear Military oz
no rust!