• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluehwy
    258 I6
    • Apr 28, 2014

Mad skills for sure for the tow driver.

Love the sticker. Unfortunately it has too much truth.

I have drums off my 79...

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
      350 Buick
      • Aug 19, 2003

Rang. Maybe it's time for some 15x8 chrome factory wheels?

Comment

• oregonphil
        232 I6
        • Oct 17, 2020

Man, you've had some bad luck for a while now. Hope no one got hurt in traffic. Did it just come loose or did it fall off? Might be time to ditch those spacers?
        OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
        72 Commando 304
        07 Toyota Sienna
        76 HD FLH

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

Wow that could have ended much worse!

Luckily nobody got hurt and your Jeep stayed up right.

Hope you get it soon back in one piece and driving it into the next adventure.
          Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
          73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
          80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
          70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
          85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
          83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• wincher
            258 I6
            • Dec 08, 2019

Rang you are a big jinx!
            78 chief 360amc (sold)
            02 wj 4.7HO Overland
            98 ZJ 5,2 limited

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by bluehwy

Mad skills for sure for the tow driver.

Love the sticker. Unfortunately it has too much truth.

I have drums off my 79...
              For sure. (sticker)
              Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
              I wonder where I could get a set. hmmm....
              Originally posted by oregonphil
              Man, you've had some bad luck for a while now. Hope no one got hurt in traffic. Did it just come loose or did it fall off? Might be time to ditch those spacers?
              I don't think its bad luck, I think 80% of my problems are bad worksmanship and/or poor attention to detail on my part.
              When I rolled up to the truck, wheel/tire was stuck in the wheel well. I put my jack under the axle to lift it and pulled the tire out to inspect the carnage. The drum is in my trunk and has some pieces of lug stud in it. I think it was already slightly compromised and he hit a pot hole that finished it off; there was a pot hole about 6' behind where I found him. The road he was on was pretty steep and he had no E-Brake and putting it in Park would not work either so he was sitting there with his foot on the brake pedal to keep it from rolling down the hill. First thing I did when I got there was strap my turd to the back of the wife's car to hold it in place.

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
              Wow that could have ended much worse!

Luckily nobody got hurt and your Jeep stayed up right.

Hope you get it soon back in one piece and driving it into the next adventure.
              YES!! I need another sticker, next to my Solsaks "Honk..." sticker that says "...it could have been much worse"
              Originally posted by wincher
              Rang you are a big jinx!
              Well said, sir! Well said.
              All repair parts are in route. 2 new drums showed up last night. I hope to have this back on the road very soon after I get back from PacNorWest (next week).
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Holy-BahJesus! I would never suspect a failure like that. Could it be that you Over-tightened them with an Impact gun?

Comment

• oregonphil
                  232 I6
                  • Oct 17, 2020

You are way to modest
                  That last view has to be Camarillo, citrus trees in the back ground?
                  OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
                  72 Commando 304
                  07 Toyota Sienna
                  76 HD FLH

Comment

• cu4whln
                    304 AMC
                    • May 16, 2008

Yikes, Yikes, YIKES !
                    It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                    1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                    1972 J4000
                    1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                    2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                    2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by rocklaurence
                      Holy-BahJesus! I would never suspect a failure like that. Could it be that you Over-tightened them with an Impact gun?
                      Yeah, it very well could be. Add that to the third possible culprit. So one or more of these:
                      1) poor quality parts (not sure where I got them), 2) Poorly installed (pulled them through rather than press them in), and now maybe 3) incorrectly installed and over torqued.
                      You are way to modest
                      That last view has to be Camarillo, citrus trees in the back ground?
                      I wish it was modesty but it's a critical look at myself. It is what it is. I would rather acknowledge my shortcomings than pretend to be a master mechanic. You can't fix what you don't know is broken.
                      It is Camarillo: Home sweet Home for 10 more months!
                      Originally posted by cu4whln
                      Yikes, Yikes, YIKES !
                      Concur!
                      Got my rig mostly squared away. Here is more carnage. This is how my drum ended up. All broken lugs accounted for. It's really odd to me how these two are torn. I figured they would all be sheared off in the same direction but these look more like the axle twisted out of it's lug studs. Weird.

I'm not sure what these are called but they are the little hats that hold the springs that hold the shoe.

Mrs. Asphaltrockdweller hooked me up with a complete brake (including the cable).

I was going to just swap one for one but then I thought it would be easier to just swap the broken or missing parts because in order to remove the parking brake cable, you have to drop the gas tank skid plate. I spent about an hour getting it all put back together. Along with new Dorman 610186 lug studs (pressed in this time).

Threw on my new Centric drum (freshly painted with BBQ paint) AND....

YES! The backing plate is bent! yay! "Easier" in rang-a-stang terms means doing it at least twice, spending at least twice as much $$, and ending up less reliable.
                      Tore it all apart again, wire brushed the other backing plate from Ashpaltrockdweller, and threw it all back together again.

I decided to keep my wheel spacer for now (more on that in a later post). I also bought new Dorman acorn nuts 611014. I cracked out my torque wrench and torqued them to 75 foot pounds, then put my wheel/Tire back on, again torqued to 75 foot pounds.

Tonight I plan to replace the passenger lug studs with new Dorman studs, put my new drum on that side, and retorque everything to 75 foot pounds. I also bought a set of sweet Hella driving lights on craigslist to replace the ones on my front bumper and hope to install those tonight.
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Got the passeger rear brake done. No drama, no pics (looks exactly like the other side) now everything is torqued correctly and new Dorman lug studs.

When I installed my grill (after painting it), I was missing the two outer upper brackets. I bought a set from 80limited and got those installed.

It aligned the grill PERFECT! Look at this gap!

A little while ago, I asked if there was some sort of rubber trim that goes here. There was. SOLSAKs hooked me up with some rubber U-channel that fit perfectly. I trimmed it up and installed it on both sides, also.

Moved on to my new lights. They went in the place of the old no-name, crappy ones I had. I don't "need" these but they fill 2 holes on my bumper, were only $20 on craigslist, and they look pretty badass IMHO.

Why are the covers on? Because I dropped one and broke the lens when I was making the pig tails for them. $32 for a new lens. I guess I paid $52 for them.

In other news:
                        Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
                        Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                        ...I wonder where I could get a set. hmmm....
                        I got these jewels from 78 WIDETRAC. They are AMAZINGGGG and the wheels that my center caps came off of.

So. I have a choice to make and this is why I still have my spacers on. I have been watching craigslist and FB Marketplace for 285/75/16s for about a year with no luck. Now I am watching for 33x12.50R15s. Whichever set I get first, goes on my truck. If I get 33's, I will probably have these rims vinyl wrapped in gloss black. The finish on them is almost perfect and I don't want to paint or mess with it but I really like the gloss black/flat center cap look with my yellow/black truck.
                        Last edited by rang-a-stang; 08-25-2021, 10:09 AM.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• oregonphil
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 17, 2020

You'll be rollin' down the road, seeing down the road better and looking badass while doing it.
                          Those are a very nice set of wheels (envious), I did not know that they could vinyl wrap wheels too.
                          OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
                          72 Commando 304
                          07 Toyota Sienna
                          76 HD FLH

Comment

• bluehwy
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2014

A little while ago, I asked if there was some sort of rubber trim that goes here. There was. SOLSAKs hooked me up with some rubber U-channel that fit perfectly.

I need that too! You bought it from him or from where?

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

You'll be rollin' down the road, seeing down the road better and looking badass while doing it.
                              Those are a very nice set of wheels (envious), I did not know that they could vinyl wrap wheels too.
                              Yep! I have a buddy with an R8 that had his wheels wrapped. Not sure how much it costs though. If it is relatively cheap, I'll do it.
                              Originally posted by bluehwy
                              I need that too! You bought it from him or from where?
                              I have some left over. PM Sent.
                              Here's where I asked.
                              Just repainted my pignose and am going to install it. Was there a rubber seal or anything that should be on the extreme outer edges of the grill where it seals up against the fender? I vaguely remember seeing something about this. If so, do you guys know where to find them (neither of my grills have anything)? Or a suitable
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                                Señor Jackhead
                                • Aug 21, 2002

I have had the left rear tire on my GW pass me on two occasions. The first time to whole shaft came out so it was kind of a tripod flipping down the road.
                                Unhappy times those were. Dang, those chrome wagon wheels look dandy! I like the hella out of those lights. Good to see you have the Cherk back on 4 feet!

Flint
                                Ran when parked.
                                http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                                88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                                76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                                http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                                X