X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Strode
    1st Chair, Cowbell
    • Nov 08, 2011

And then, for some reason known only to the defective synapses in my aging brain, I mounted them stupidly, with the ears pointing up. Exactly what I was trying to avoid.

(* I was going to post a picture of my FUBAR, but I'm looking at a picture of it now, and I'm still not able to deal with it. No picture of the FUBAR)

So, more welding and filling 3 good sized holes in the door. This is after my filling and a skim coat of filler.

I tried it again further up the door, and it came out ok. I don't think that grinding the base accomplished anything other than it allowed me to mount the mirror slightly below where some other people have mounted theirs. I did match the contour of the door a little. (This is a test fit without the base gasket)

Brad
    (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Strode
      1st Chair, Cowbell
      • Nov 08, 2011

I guess I'll grind the other side the same way so they will match and mount it. I dunno if the grinding is worth it, and opposed to just mounting them right below the wing window like the pioneers before me did.

I'll be painting these body color.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the wiring on these power mirrors. The mirrors themselves have only 3 leads, up/down, in/out, and return. They reverse as the current is reversed.

The switches I grabbed have either 7 or 8 leads. I'm using an ohmmeter to try and figure out what is what, and it's confusing. I need to find a schematic of how the leads out of the switch hit the relay, and then the mirrors. I'm going to need some relays too, and I was looking around at the junkyard to see what would work. I don't know what else I'm going to need relays for.
      Last edited by Strode; 11-05-2012, 02:36 AM.
      Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• cma
        350 Buick
        • Jan 26, 2012

Off Topic: where is this location? at your home? or did you rent any garage or old stock room?

i am looking forward to find a space but it is very difficult...
        Markus!

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink

Comment

• Strode
          1st Chair, Cowbell
          • Nov 08, 2011

It's my garage at my house, which I'm very grateful to have.
          Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• CJ5
            350 Buick
            • May 07, 2002

Sorry about your troubles, Brad. I feel your pain. I am so glad I am done. Well, mostly, I still have the hood to sand the clear and re-clear.

It looks really good though. I went around the world figuring things out too. It is the nature of doing things ourselves.

How were your old mirrors? I may be interested in them if the black plastic trim is good. I used my old ones but could not refurbish the plastic trim very good.
            Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
            '72CJ - Complete Restore
            '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
            '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• Strode
              1st Chair, Cowbell
              • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by CJ5
              Sorry about your troubles, Brad. I feel your pain. I am so glad I am done. Well, mostly, I still have the hood to sand the clear and re-clear.

It looks really good though. I went around the world figuring things out too. It is the nature of doing things ourselves.

How were your old mirrors? I may be interested in them if the black plastic trim is good. I used my old ones but could not refurbish the plastic trim very good.
              Let me get up in the attic, and I'll get a picture of them for you. You're welcome to have them. They'd be honored to be attached to your fine restoration.

Edit: They are in great shape, sent you a PM.
              Last edited by Strode; 11-06-2012, 05:24 AM.
              Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• streetglide
                232 I6
                • Feb 06, 2009

You have way more patience than I have on your project. Hence the reason I farmed out my paint job.
                In the end, you'll have a greater sense of satisfaction knowing you done it all yourself.
                Plus, I'm sure you saved way more money than what I spent on mine.
                Wish I had the patience and knowledge you have to tackle a job like that. Cant wait to see the outcome...!
                84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
                69 Dodge Coronet(Super-wanna-Bee)
                77 Dodge M880

Comment

• Strode
                  1st Chair, Cowbell
                  • Nov 08, 2011

Originally posted by streetglide
                  You have way more patience than I have on your project. Hence the reason I farmed out my paint job.
                  In the end, you'll have a greater sense of satisfaction knowing you done it all yourself.
                  Plus, I'm sure you saved way more money than what I spent on mine.
                  Wish I had the patience and knowledge you have to tackle a job like that. Cant wait to see the outcome...!
                  Glide, thanks. I'm really enjoying seeing the Money Pit come together.
                  Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• Strode
                    1st Chair, Cowbell
                    • Nov 08, 2011

Did a little more work this weekend. I did the passenger side Bronco mirror, grinding the edges down again.

Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• Strode
                      1st Chair, Cowbell
                      • Nov 08, 2011

I also primed the mirrors, and they will be body color.

I also put my steering column back together. I think I got it back together right.

Before:

After:

Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• Mars
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 24, 2010

hmm Bronco mirrors eh? Is there a benefit to the mod or simply for a different look?
                        Wannabe Fabricator
                        Grumpy on a good day.
                        1981 J-10 Laredo.. mmmm bucket seats...
                        What I'm working on: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...50#post1503850

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
                          350 Buick
                          • Apr 23, 2011

Looking good! I like the mirrors.
                          Andy
                          '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
                          Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• Strode
                            1st Chair, Cowbell
                            • Nov 08, 2011

The Bronco mirrors are alot bigger. I think WHSII said they were 70% bigger? I'm not used to little mirrors anymore. And I like little stick-on convex mirrors, and there's not any room for them on the stock mirrors.

I got the idea from others on here who have done it.
                            Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

• CJ5
                              350 Buick
                              • May 07, 2002

Originally posted by Strode182
                              The Bronco mirrors are alot bigger. I think WHSII said they were 70% bigger? I'm not used to little mirrors anymore. And I like little stick-on convex mirrors, and there's not any room for them on the stock mirrors.

I got the idea from others on here who have done it.
                              I am glad you made the change.
                              Chief Laredo Build Album:http://www.fototime.com/inv/BB4AF31A10748CC
                              '72CJ - Complete Restore
                              '81SJ - Loredo Resto Project
                              '91YJ - Rock Crawler

Comment

• Strode
                                1st Chair, Cowbell
                                • Nov 08, 2011

Since my painting is on hold until I get the drivetrain back in, and the body back on the frame, I've been looking for seat options. (* All that bird poo looking stuff on the Jeep is from me colorsanding the roof)

My original seats aren't very good. I finally found some nice seats in a 98 Explorer at the junkyard. They're green/blue, which is not going to work, so I'll have to get them recovered.

My proudest moment of this whole project was getting this drivers seat out of that Explorer. It had been rolled, and I could only get in on the passenger side. And the drivers side was electric, so I couldn't move the seat forward to get at the rear bolts.

So I spent at least an hour face down in some awful spongy muck in that wreck. I'd spend 5 minutes blindly trying to get my wrench positioned on the bolt, in order to move it 15 degrees. It took forever, but I finally got it.

I started mocking up the drivers side....

Last edited by Strode; 11-17-2012, 08:39 PM.
                                Brad

Ristow's Bunker

Comment

Working...
                                X