X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProTouring442
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 15, 2011

It may very be an illusion, but it looks to me as though the passenger side of the radiator is hitting the frame. If so, vibration will eat a whole in it very quickly. If not, please disregard this message!

Cool swap!
    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• ross80truck
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2011

I worked last night on designing my engine mounts. I have decided to go with more of an engine mount/crossmember. I set the motor in place and then took all my measurement. Then I laid it out on a piece of plywood and cut out a template. It took several different revisions to get it just how I like it, but this is my final design. There will be two of these. One in front and one in rear of the engine mounts. I am going to try to get them cut out of steel today and cleaned up and then tacked in place enough to hold the motor. Once I pull the motor back out, I will final weld everything up. I am also going to connect the two plates with some steal strap to make it more rigid. With this cradle and the heavy front bumper I am going to mount and brace back to the frame, I think the front end will be plenty stiff. I will just have to worry now about boxing in the back half of the frame.

Template test fit

Wood template
      Life Priorities:
      1. God
      2. Wife
      3. Children ( Lane )
      4. Work
      5. Wagoneer

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!

Comment

• ross80truck
        232 I6
        • Oct 17, 2011

Originally posted by ProTouring442
        It may very be an illusion, but it looks to me as though the passenger side of the radiator is hitting the frame. If so, vibration will eat a whole in it very quickly. If not, please disregard this message!

Cool swap!
        You are not wrong. In the pictures the radiator is sitting on the frame. I have it mounted loosely right now using the slots on the side of the radiator. So, it is sitting in its final location front to back, but when I final install it, there will be at least a 1" gap between the frame and the bottom of the radiator. Good eye!
        Life Priorities:
        1. God
        2. Wife
        3. Children ( Lane )
        4. Work
        5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

That will be one beefy engine support. Are you going to have to raise the engine out of the support to move it forward or back, if you ever have to pull it? I don't think I quite understand the final product.
          Originally posted by Resbum
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• ross80truck
            232 I6
            • Oct 17, 2011

That will be one beefy engine support. Are you going to have to raise the engine out of the support to move it forward or back, if you ever have to pull it? I don't think I quite understand the final product.
            It will work just like any engine mount, except that the two mounts will be tied together across the bottom of the motor. This will stiffen the frame in the front. It is very similar to how Eugene 1 mounted his motor in his Cherokee in post #65 of his build thread. We are just going about it differently.

Life Priorities:
            1. God
            2. Wife
            3. Children ( Lane )
            4. Work
            5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Resbum
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 16, 2010

Thanks. I got it now. Nice.
              "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• ross80truck
                232 I6
                • Oct 17, 2011

Finally officially got the motor mounted. I am really happy with how how it turned out and engine placement. I could not believe how much the springs collapsed when I set the total wight of the motor on them. The springs compressed a total of 6" with the motor weight on them. The wagoneer looks pretty goofy from the side right now. I have already been talking to Off Road Design about a set of springs for the front. They are not listed on the website, but they make a custom set of springs for the 80's model Chevy trucks to hold the weight of a Cummins plus give good ride quality and flex. They said a total of 11" of flex. Nice!

In this picture you can see how the engine mount runs completely under the motor to the other side of frame. This is to help stiffen the frame. I will take a piece of 4" strap and weld between the engine mounts from frame to frame to tie the two together.

Here you can see how the engine mount runs completely under the motor. As of now there is only 1" between my highsteer drag link and the oil pan. This will change when I mount new springs.

Notice how flat these springs are with the motor weight on them.

That is a lot of rake from front to rear. Not the look I was going for, but it can be fixed.

Life Priorities:
                1. God
                2. Wife
                3. Children ( Lane )
                4. Work
                5. Wagoneer

Comment

• jMedia
                  350 Buick
                  • May 27, 2009

Looking great! Just a bit of sag.. Are those the stock wag springs up front tho?

Also, from a few posts back, why did you switch to the J20 steering box?

Keep it up!
                  Joshua
                  1988 Grand Wagoneer "Elwood"(thanks krek)
                  Constantly changing, never done

Comment

• ross80truck
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 17, 2011

Originally posted by jMedia
                    Looking great! Just a bit of sag.. Are those the stock wag springs up front tho?

Also, from a few posts back, why did you switch to the J20 steering box?

Keep it up!
                    Yes, they are stock wagoneer springs up front right now. I am most likely going to go with some custom springs from Off Road Design and also do a shackle reversal at the same time.

I switched to the J20 box because it is stronger than the stock waggy steering box and it bolts right in the same location. From what I understand the pistons are bigger in the J20 pump allowing for easier steering with bigger tires. I figured my tires are not going to be that big, but with the 6BT setting on top of them I could use all the extra help I can get.
                    Life Priorities:
                    1. God
                    2. Wife
                    3. Children ( Lane )
                    4. Work
                    5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Resbum
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Very Nice, Ross!!!

Comment

• Bjtgtr
                        232 I6
                        • Jan 03, 2012

Looking great!
                        -BJ-
                        1989 Grand Wagoneer FOR SALE. PM me for details
                        D60f, D70r, 360/727/300 twin sticked, 37"s, 4w discs, 64" rear springs, RSF, SOA, blah, blah, blah

2001 F-250 CC SB 4x4 7.3L Powerstroke DD

Comment

• ross80truck
                          232 I6
                          • Oct 17, 2011

I like so many others here am moving my build thread over to FSJNETWORK.com. Please come over and follow the build there. It was fun while it lasted.
                          Life Priorities:
                          1. God
                          2. Wife
                          3. Children ( Lane )
                          4. Work
                          5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Jays jeep
                            230 Tornado
                            • Feb 20, 2014

what ever happened with this build? is it still under way?
                            1979 Jeep Cherokee S (38,000 original miles)
                            1985 Jeep J-10
                            1986 Jeep CJ7
                            1985 Jeep CJ8
                            1969 Jeep Commando
                            1986 Grand Wagoneer
                            1978 Jeep CJ5 Silver Anniversary
                            1949 Willys 2A race Jeep
                            1983 J-10 Stepside

Yes they all run and drive (well, most of the time)
                            And for the right price they are all for sale so I can buy others.

Comment

• Achilles
                              350 Buick
                              • May 12, 2004

I think he moved the build thread over to the other forum.
                              Life happens while you are making plans...............

1983 Wagoneer Limeted, 169k 360 AMC, NP 229, 727,
                              MODS: 2003 Durango bucket seats:
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=159286
                              Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174925

Comment

Working...
                              X