Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• will e
      Always Broke
      • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
      OK Thanks. I am after a 1 wire alt.
      Are you trying to cut down on the clutter? Wiring wise, this is just as easy as a 1 wire setup. I don't know that you will find a 'bolt in' 1 wire setup as cheap as the CS130 or CS144
      82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Spectre
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Nov 26, 2004

1 wire alternators have problems, not least of which that they won't charge at idle until you cross a predetermined RPM point.

Also, 1 wire alternators are completely unnecessary on our rigs.
        "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• will e
          Always Broke
          • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Spectre:

Why's that?
          82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Originally posted by Spectre:
            1 wire alternators have problems, not least of which that they won't charge at idle until you cross a predetermined RPM point.

Nothing to do with what is necessary or needed............its what I want, its just that simple. Run what you want I will run what I want. I was just asking a simple question.
            I have run one wire alt many many times and never a problem, bringing the revs up to excite it hardly a problem. I believe the CS-144 is being converted to 1 wire. At any rate I can get a 1 wire 180 amp Alt for around 150.00. I do not have any of the original wiring and I see no point in going with anything more than a 1 wire Alt.

I been also looking at these two.
            180 Amp 1 Wire

200 Amp 1 Wire

[ March 19, 2006, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Crazy_Jeepman ]
            Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
            Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• will e
              Always Broke
              • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Spectre:

Nothing to do with what is necessary or needed............its what I want, its just that simple. Run what you want I will run what I want. I was just asking a simple question.
              I have run one wire alt many many times and never a problem, bringing the revs up to excite it hardly a problem. I believe the CS-144 is being converted to 1 wire. At any rate I can get a 1 wire 180 amp Alt for around 150.00. I do not have any of the original wiring and I see no point in going with anything more than a 1 wire Alt.

I been also looking at these two.
              180 Amp 1 Wire

200 Amp 1 Wire
              </font>[/QUOTE]That's right and I forgot you are running a caddy engine too. So yeah, without the existing wiring and a different engine I don't see any reason not to go with a 1 wire setup.

Comment

• Walt
                350 Buick
                • Feb 24, 2003

Originally posted by rmorit01
                Walt -- Did you work this out yet for a rear support?

Curious -- Bob
                The rear support is not finalized, but ready to weld. The heads are off so it will be a while before I ger the alt installed...
                I just cut off the old rear bracket and notched it to fit the sleeve.

90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• Walt
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 24, 2003

Update on the brace pictured in the last post:
                  After welding it up I put everything together WITHOUT a shim behind the sleeve thinking it was not necessary. The last time I dry fit the assy was with the motor torn down and I did not notice that installing it without a shim behind the sleeve (where the original rear brace was) would cause the angle of the alt to change.
                  Long story short, shim the back of the sleeve ~1/8" or it will not line up correctly.
                  90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• Walt
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 24, 2003

Clearance issues

In case anyone is interested; here are a couple of pictures from the bottom showing why clocking is so important.

The notch in the case must point down or the case will hit the oil filter. The filter also limits the swing of the alt making it difficult to get the belts on. Kind of a hassle. Good excuse to change the oil when putting on new belts!

Comment

• Hutti
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 11, 2006

Originally posted by will e
                      Now, most people don't have this problem because they have a 3 groove crank pulley. But what you want to be cautious of is if you plan on going with 2 A/C compressors, one for OBA. To do this you typically run just one belt for the WP-A/C-ALT and then use the second A/C pulley to drive the OBA. I don't think this will work if you upgrade your alternator.

<just a thought> I am planning on doing this upgrade and running OBA using another York. Since the OBA is "freeing" up one loop on the crank. couldn't you just us that groove to run a belt from crank/wp/alt ? Provided you could find a belt lenght that will work with the belt going crank/wp/ac/alt...

what do you think?

- Christian
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer, ARBs F&R, SOAed, rear disc conversion & Hydroboost, EDL performer intake and cam, Howell TBI, CS144, front & rear customer tube bumpers, Warn 12k

Comment

Working...
                      X