X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammer
    304 AMC
    • Apr 25, 2002

Ok, got a set of 4" front springs (thanks Al!)

For now, I made brackets to lower the front brake lines.
    I will be ordering some new stainless brake lines soon.

The rear WOULD have been done today but I couldn't find anyplace local that had the u-bolts I needed. I will get u-bolts tomorrow, and have the rear lifted in the next couple days.
    I should also finally be getting the metal I need to finish the rear flares.

Anyways, a couple pictures.
    I flexed it up, but I was hitting in the rear before I could fully flex the front. No pictures of that though.

I had a little rubbing on the bottom of the fender by the cab, I 'clearanced' that with a BFH and all is well!
    I can turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and still have room!

78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

• Brad W.
      360 AMC
      • Jan 09, 2003

Originally posted by Hammer
      Too bad the front springs on the choptop are NOT lift springs (like I had thought they were). So now I need some front lift springs.
      ROFL. Glenn once had 2" alcans on the front of that choptop frame, was that what you thought was still on it? if so, they are sitting in my garage, hehe. btw- those are the same alcans that once sat under Whitefoot (RIP), if you remember andrew's old rig.
      Brad W.
      1979 wag "Nightmare"
      **project shelved indefinetly**

m715 ex-firetruck
      **project shelved**

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 "Project Juggernaut"
      24v-CTD/NV-4500/quad-cab/4x4
      4" straightpipe, rollin on beadlocked 37's.
      Big as a freight train, as loud as one too.

Comment

• Hammer
        304 AMC
        • Apr 25, 2002

ACK!
        And yeah, I was vaguely thinking those to be the springs I had.
        I DO have the shocks from Whitefoot though

Comment

• DanHS
          • Aug 29, 2004

Nice work, looks good. I had been thinking of the same idea for my Chero since the rear fenders are pretty rusted out, but I started to change my mind. Seeing how well yours is looking makes me think it's still is the best idea, perhaps I'll get to it after I finally have the thing on the road. keep up the good work.
          '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

its looking bad-***!

it was good meeting you ed, wish i could have stayed longer to chat but all the family was in town for the old mans b-day. can't wait to see more progress!

Al
            79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
            99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
            07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Hammer
              304 AMC
              • Apr 25, 2002

Thanks guys!
              I have wanted to do this for about a decade now. About darn time I got around to doing this!
              Good to meet you as well Al. Nothing like a fast 3 hour drive to stop and turn around and go home! But family comes first, so no worries on my part.

I should have more progress by the weekend if I get my u bolts and metal for the flares tomorrow.

Comment

• FSJeeper
                King of Unfinished Projects
                • May 20, 2000

I really like it. That thing is begging for some OD paint!
                In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                  Hey watch this...
                  • Nov 19, 2004

Do your rear wheel wells match up? From the pics it looks like the dirvers side forms around the shape of the tire perfectly, and the passenger side looks like it is trimmed higher..

Comment

• Hammer
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 25, 2002

Originally posted by Dmntxn77
                    Do your rear wheel wells match up? From the pics it looks like the dirvers side forms around the shape of the tire perfectly, and the passenger side looks like it is trimmed higher..
                    The rears are the same height for trimming goes. Or at least close enough for what I was going for to start off with. Hard to tell from the photos because of the angles.
                    I picked up the metal for the flares today. So when I put that in, I will finalize the actual amount of trimming done. I have some final measuring to do, then I have to setup a jig for the plasma cutter. I am trying to get the rear to have the same amount of stickout for the rear flares as the front M715 flares have. I should be REAL close when it's done.

As for the OD paint. Not yet.
                    It will become all one color first, and that color will be gloss black. I already have everything for it, so it shouldn't be TOO long after I get this on the road that I also get it painted.

Comment

• Brad W.
                      360 AMC
                      • Jan 09, 2003

Originally posted by Hammer
                      I DO have the shocks from Whitefoot though
                      ROFL, some how those just don't seem quite as important as custom alcans
                      Brad W.
                      1979 wag "Nightmare"

m715 ex-firetruck
                      **project shelved**

Comment

• Hammer
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 25, 2002

Turns out the passenger side was about 1/8" higher then the driverside. Not very much really, but there was a slight difference.

Been darn busy lately, but I got some time today to work on the rear flares. And I got the rear lift done on the weekend (just blocks for now).

I need a longer rear brake line, anyone have the napa part number for one that is about 6" or more longer then stock? I relocated the brackets for the front, but want/need another hose for the rear anyway, so I might as get a longer one, and one long enough for the SOA/SF when I get there.

Anyways, I got 1/8" metal for the flares. Man, that stuff is TOUGH to bend into a smooth arc!!!
                        Test fitted, measured the amount of stickout I wanted (matching the front M715 fender flares), cut with the plasma.
                        Then proceeded to sweat, curse, and sweat some more. It took a LOT of work to get that flat piece of metal into a smooth enough form to fit in the hole I made.
                        Welded up the flare to the inner fenderwell. Then went around and worked over the outter body skin to match up with the flare as best as possible before welding it all up.
                        Did turn out all that bad either! I still have to weld the both bottom ends, but that will require more cutting and bending before those fit like I want.
                        No pictures today, I should get some tomorrow I hope.

Comment

• Hammer
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 25, 2002

Man, isn't that the truth....

Originally posted by Brad W.
                          ROFL, some how those just don't seem quite as important as custom alcans

Comment

• Brad W.
                            360 AMC
                            • Jan 09, 2003

here's a tip for a long strip of metal like that:

weld (more than a tack) an eyebolt or a ring (or link of chain) to the inside of the curve (the flat side that faces down to the road) on each end of the flare metal. now attach a chain or cable to each eyelet and use a turnbuckle to wind them up... this will curve without really making a bend... put them into the body holes and release (slowly!!) the turnbuckles to let the flare metal conform to the body opening. tack the flares on as you go to keep them lined up and in place. once the tension is off the chain/cable you can grind the links off and nobody will know.

you might have to start the curve but once its begun the turnbuckles will keep it there. they also offer quite a bit of small fit adjustment as you install the flares.
                            Brad W.
                            1979 wag "Nightmare"

m715 ex-firetruck
                            **project shelved**

Comment

• FSJeeper
                              King of Unfinished Projects
                              • May 20, 2000

The flares on the choptop were made by taking the flare strip of metal and wrapping it around a tire with a tiedown strap. Worked great and was easy to do.
                              In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• Hammer
                                304 AMC
                                • Apr 25, 2002

It's not really about making the roundness to it, it the fact that it has to fit OVER the lip I left of the inner fenderwell, and UNDER/INSIDE the outter body skin.
                                Holding it up and moving it around can be quite a PITA actually.
                                I got the curve fairly well done, but moving into position with everything fighting you at once is the real big pain. And you have to try and hold it up, 'finesse' it, and get it all into position.
                                I will be MUCH faster with the driver's side when I get to it though.

Comment

Working...
                                X