• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThisGuyUKnow
    350 Buick
    • Mar 25, 2008

Looking For Pics of GM knock sensor on a 360

Hey guys I have a bunch of projects ongoing. One is getting the holley street dominator that is moded for Tuned port injection installed. I plan on picking up a 1990 350 vette harness from a part out and modding it for my purposes.

ANy how the early TPI harnesses seem to be very close to the GM TBI setups people have been junkyarding so I have been studying some of those write ups for those. Any how i was trying to find some write ups where they used the knock sensor. The bustedjeep one he bypassed the knock sensor(but isnt the knock sensor important for spark controll) I know I have read some where the knock sensor was used in the 360 I just cant find it in search or google. Someone got these booked marked? Thanks in advance.
    '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs
  • The Colonel
    360 AMC
    • Feb 21, 2010

You should just be able to thread that knock sensor in the side of the block.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
      350 Buick
      • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by The Colonel
      You should just be able to thread that knock sensor in the side of the block.
      thats what I thought I had read before... where exactly though? got a pic?
      '85 CJ7 Laredo- Rebuilt 360, Tuned Port Injection, T-176, D300, W/T 3.31 w/Trac Loc, 31x10.5x15 BFGs

Comment

• The Colonel
        360 AMC
        • Feb 21, 2010

I don't have any pics, but it shouldn't matter where. I'd put it somewhere near the motor mount.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
          350 Buick
          • Mar 25, 2008

Originally posted by The Colonel
          I don't have any pics, but it shouldn't matter where. I'd put it somewhere near the motor mount.
          This is where I am getting confused do i drill and tap the block?

Comment

• The Colonel
            360 AMC
            • Feb 21, 2010

No, isn't there an extra open bolt hole?

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
              350 Buick
              • Mar 25, 2008

I dont know I will have to look. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I will get the wiring harness relatively soon and be able to start figuring out what i need

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

seems to be plenty of google hits on it...
                1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                  350 Buick
                  • Mar 25, 2008

there are plenty of hits your right but only one of those deals with actually installing the sensor and they say to weld a bung to the side of the block the rest just mention the knock sensor in passing or as a parts list.

THats why i posted here because i know i have seen a thread where it was installed in a preexisting place on the 360. But I didnt realize until colonel replied that the sensor didnt need to go through the case of the engine. I guess that was a dur moment for me

Comment

• mdill
                    Gone. Not Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2000

There is a 3/8" (NPT) drain plug on both sides of the block, down low, in the center, remove said plug screw in sensor, done. (The fancy part is finding the right ESC module that likes what the sensor is saying in a AMC 360)
                    Jeep never used a knock sensor in a 360, they did use one in the 258 at one time, don't know much about that one though.

Mike D.
                    Last edited by mdill; 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM.
                    -----------------------------------------
                    Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
                    1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
                    1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
                    1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
                    1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
                    And the other stuff that gets driven
                    ----------------------------------------

Comment

• jaber
                      Dragin Az
                      • Oct 17, 2003

^^This is where I understood it to go. I am about to do my 3rd conversion, and the other 2 do not have knock sensors on them. They do just fine. And yes, both control timing as well.
                      Jeff

'43 cj2a
                      '51 Willys p/u
                      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                      '68 Panel Delivery
                      '74 CJ5
                      '75 J-20 Wrecker
                      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                      '77 J-10 p/u
                      '79 Cherokee
                      '88 Grand Wagoneer
                      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                        • Mar 20, 2005

The knock sensor is not REQUIRED for timing control. As its name implies, it only SENSES knock.

You can disable it (remove the trouble code) or bypass it (see Binder Planet's website TBI FAQ for details).

I run timing control without the knock sensor. For tuning, run it up until it knocks and then back off a few degrees. Why back off? Because you can't always HEAR it, but it still may be there.

The sensor allows you to run up the timing as far as you can and then the sensor will let you know when it's too much and will also retard the timing AFTER it detects knock. Useful if you're going to run different grades of gasoline, hence the reason they're put into most vehicles.

I was debating installing one, too/ I am still on the fence, but leaning towards no.
                        Ethan Brady
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                          350 Buick
                          • Mar 25, 2008

Well if it can either be threaded into an existing point in the block or still function with a bung welded to the outside of the block then I may as well use it since it is coming with the harness

Comment

• blazer3664
                            350 Buick
                            • Mar 08, 2009

I read on a TBI "how to" somewhere (here??), that it can be installed in a freeze plug. I do not know how it is done though. They started talking about finding the threaded adapters and tapping the block and that was too much for me.

I have read about the welded on bung also, but dont know that I would trust it to stay welded onto the cast block. At least not with ME welding it.

I am on the fence as well, but leaning toward keeping the knock sensor when I do mine.

Jim
                            modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
                            LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
                            SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
                            H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
                            custom shackle flip
                            W/F150 springs
                            -----Coming Soon-----
                            snorkels,
                            OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• ThisGuyUKnow
                              350 Buick
                              • Mar 25, 2008

now the question is if the esc mod for the HEI is the same for the TPI system. I was studying how busted jeep did theirs and it seems like it would be the same system for the TPI setup. I will just have to get a hold of an 90 vette module and see i guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X