AMC 360 Spark Knock Kit Installation Procedures
Contributed By: Eric Faust
Here is the text describing the installation of the spark knock kit in
360 V8's. If nothing alse, it should give people an idea of weather
they want to do this job themselves.
A burst knock will be medium to heavy and is often noticed during
acceleration from stop. The burst knock occurs on quick throttle tip-in
from closed throttle and sometimes on a tip-in from light throttle to
A sustained knock will be a continuous light to medium knock. A
sustained knock occurs at deep throttle during medium to heavy load
conditions. A sustained knock will be noticed with a loaded vehicle
(towing), a long up hill grade, or at hot, dry ambient temperatures.
Sustained knock will usually disappear with fuel enrichment when the
carburetor power valve is activated.
If either type of knock is experienced, proceed with the following
procedures to improve this condition.
- Remove the distributor vacuum delay valve and replace it with a
straight vacuum connector (P/N J3220180).
- Remove the original EGR valve and gasket and replace it with the new
EGR valve (P/N J3239372) and gasket (P/N J3221283). Tighten the EGR
bolts to 13 ft. lbs (17 N-m) of torque.
- Remove the EGR vacuum delay valve and replace it with a straight
- Disconnect vacuum hose from the distributor vacuum advance and plug
the end of the vacuum hose. Connect a timing light to No.1 spark plug.
Loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
- connect a tachometer to the engine ignition.
- with the vehicle in park, set the parking brake firmly and start the
engine. Turn A/c off. Allow engine to warm to normal operating
- Operate the engine at the specified idle RPM, as listed on the under
hood Vehicle Emission Control Maintenance Information Label, and adjust
the engine timing to 8 degrees BTDC.
- Tighten the distributor hold down bolt and recheck the timing to
verify correct setting.
- Stop engine, disconnect timing light and tachometer, remove vacuum
hose plug, and reconnect hose to distributor vacuum advance.
- Readjust the vehicle FAST IDLE, CURB IDLE AND BASE IDLE per vehicle
specification (refer to under hood Vehicle Emission Control Maintenance
- Type information on the Authorized Modification Label (P/N
4275086), and attach near Vehicle Emission Control Maintenance
89 Grand Wagoneer
San Diego, CA