New ##Pics of my SOA hydro assist / steering box..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Donzi
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 11, 2002

New ##Pics of my SOA hydro assist / steering box..

I just finished the front of the SOA, and my hydro assist. My front is 7" higher than the rear, with 4" springs too!!!!!

I have a bit of bump steer

I'm not driving it I promise, so don't flame me... .I just got the stock springs in the mail so I'll change it back to stock springs this weekend.

The hydro assist was a piece of cake but the SOA was a little challenging.

What do you guys think about using the sway bar mount as a shock mount, it seems to work geometrically ???

SOA pics

[ June 23, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: The Donzi ]
    1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Donzi,

Looking SWEET!!!

PLEASE dont drive it till you get the high steering done.... PLEASE

Yes... you can use the swaybar mount for the lower shock mount... it'll save you time in fabbing one up.

Very nice work... but get more closeups of the Hydro assist!!!!
    Todd
    www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• tc
      258 I6
      • Jan 08, 2002

nice work.
      "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra

Comment

• rockjeep44
        The Advisor
        • Oct 15, 2001

SAAAAAWWWWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT
        Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
        There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
        "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• Sambo
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Sep 25, 2001

donzi i have been using the sway connect for shock mounts since i did my soa yrs ago!!!
          works great too!!!
          77 chero DEAD.
          84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Sambo
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Sep 25, 2001

oh btw hows the hydro assis..?
            77 chero DEAD.
            84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• The Donzi
              327 Rambler
              • Dec 11, 2002

Hydro assist works great!!

I'm welded up front so it was a little tough to turn if I wasn't on the gas. Now I can turn with no problem. The only drawback is that the steering response is a little delayed.

The mounting tabs for the ram are from 1" stock with brass bushings. I'll post some more pics later.

Thanks for the feedback guys....

Oh, I'm thinking about keeping the full 11" of lift and just going with pass. flat top etc..what do you guys think????

Would I be too top heavy with 11" sus. lift on a W/T?? (33x12.5 for now)
              1979 Cherokee Chief <br />360,400,1339,44,14ff,SOA,<br />Hydro assist,44044\'s, 63\" chevy rears, Dual electric fans, 35\"SX\'s on hummer rims Rhino lined interior, f/r reciever hitches, Warn 9000i<br />Edelbrock intake, truck avenger<br />Engle cam, chopped, caged

Comment

• Qudawg
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 16, 2003

Can you please tell me about "high steering"
                I did a SOA about 3 months ago and it steers like hell... no flameage please
                thx
                1979 J-10 Golden Eagle The J-Dawg
                1980 Cherokee Laredo

Comment

• Stuka
                  • Jan 21, 2001

When you do a SOA there is two steering setups you can go with.

1: High Steer: This moves the tie rod up above the springs, flat top knuckles are required on boths sides, along with spacers. But the stock drag link and tie rod are used, and it steers as close to stock as you can get with that much lift.

2: Cross Over Steering: This leaves the tie rod in its stock location, but moves the drag link to the top of the passenger side knuckle. One flat top knuckle is required for the passenger side, along with a new drag link.

Comment

• Qudawg
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jun 16, 2003

Thanks Stuka, hey guys, anyone know where i can get a flat top knuckle and a new drag link?
                    1979 J-10 Golden Eagle The J-Dawg
                    1980 Cherokee Laredo

Comment

• blt2krl
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Apr 03, 2001

Looks really good. How about some pics of your steering box.
                      Paul Hartman
                      79 waggoneer
                      AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                      DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                      39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                      www.cbioffroadfab.com
                      WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Glenn_tx
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jun 08, 2002

I swapped sides and flipped the u'bolt plates, then just ground about 1/4" off one corner of each plate to clear the shock. It has plenty off clearance and the grinding may not even be necessary.

Does the hydro assist work in conjunction with the factory power steering?

[ June 22, 2003, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: GlennTX ]
                        Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

• The Donzi
                          327 Rambler
                          • Dec 11, 2002

GlennTX, My factory shock mounts are on the axle, but I did use the sway bar mounts on the ubolt plates... . It seems to work fine just like you were saying. I didn't have to grind anything to make it work either.

Yes, the hydro assist and stock power steering work together. My box is tapped on the cast case and the ram is supplied with hydraulic force from the steering box, acting in concert with the pitman arm.

Comment

• Glenn_tx
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Jun 08, 2002

Yeah, you're right. I musta been smoking crack when I typed that up. Too many late nights lately.

Where did you get your hydro assist setup? I welded my front end too and might look into purchasing one if it works well for you.
                            Glenn<br /><br />-I\'d rather be a fencepost in Texas than the king of Tennessee!

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Guymon:
                              Thanks Stuka, hey guys, anyone know where i can get a flat top knuckle and a new drag link?
                              my seb site has a good bit of pics for the steering ...

If you need parts for high steer or X-Over steer.... www.partsmike.net has what you need.....
                              Todd
                              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X