International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 06-28-2013, 09:09 PM

Fiberglass Fenders

So, my build is getting more and more prissy the further along I get....

The metal fenders on my J2000 are pretty beat up, and have some really bad fixes from the PO.

I thought it might be quicker and easier to get a set of fiberglass fenders, and bolt them on. I'm not painting the truck, it's going to get monstalined so that really cuts down on prep work. I was prepared for rough edges, fitment issues, and maybe some low/high spots - however I don't know how to fix what I got.

Here's a few pics. I only took pics of one side, as they're pretty much identical.

The fenders are a bit rough as I was expecting, what I wasn't expecting was the warped stuff. This normal for fiberglass? My only experience with fiberglass panels is with mustang stuff, and it's generally a bit higher quality. Any good ideas on how to fix them?

Doesn't look like the bends are going to come out when it's bolted up, and I can't think of any good ways to fix it without leaving waves and flex points.
Dana 20 w/ PTO
Dana 44/53

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171638

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
HD44, 14 Bolt
SM465
NP205

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161426
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Grease Monkey

So... I actually know a good deal about fiberglass and carbon fiber. Those fenders were pulled from the mold to soon before the resin had a chance to set. If you try to straighten them they will just crack. Once the gelcoat and or resin is cracked any moisture will intrude and due to capillary action the moisture will be drawn up any voids along the glass fiber that isn't properly rolled into the resin. If you purchased these from somewhere you need to return them, this is clearly manufactures defect. If you made them yourself let them sit on the mold for a while longer before you pull them off. It might help to slowly heat the mold up with a heat gun before you start rolling the glass/resin onto it, and of course if you can vacuum bag it you will have a far better cure to the part.

Fiberglass parts gain their strength when the resin cures and polymerization occurs in a chain, linking the carbons in the resin.

Good luck.

2002 TJ Wrangler "APEX" Edition 4.7 Stroker, 4" RC Lift, 33" Toyo MT's, SmittyBuilt Front Bumper. More to follow

1974 J-10 258, T18/D20, D44 F/R 4.10 gears and LSD (No... not that type of LSD)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Grease Monkey

Oh, and excellent choice on monstalining it. By far the best product on the market. Going with black or one of the colors? I heard they are about ready to come out with metallic flake monstaliner.

2002 TJ Wrangler "APEX" Edition 4.7 Stroker, 4" RC Lift, 33" Toyo MT's, SmittyBuilt Front Bumper. More to follow

1974 J-10 258, T18/D20, D44 F/R 4.10 gears and LSD (No... not that type of LSD)
Old 06-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Yeah, I think I'm going to return them - some of the defects can be dealt with, but I just don't see any good solution for fixing the warping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvin
Oh, and excellent choice on monstalining it. By far the best product on the market. Going with black or one of the colors? I heard they are about ready to come out with metallic flake monstaliner.

Going to use Apocalypse on the exterior, block on the inside. I heard about the metallic flake stuff as well, I think a metallic silver would be pretty awesome, but I'll wait and see how it turns out first.
Dana 20 w/ PTO
Dana 44/53

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=171638

1966 Jeep Gladiator
Chevy 350
HD44, 14 Bolt
SM465
NP205

Build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=161426