International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 11-18-2013, 10:34 AM

I really like the GW grill on the j truck. I want one now...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Ha, thanks. I actually would prefer a muscle grill, but this was the only thing I could find at the time.

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Shakes hands with danger

It's been a while since my last update. Not much has changed other than a prodigious oil leak, apparently out of the rear main seal, and a few little details. The truck is still running strong and asking little.

Heat and defrost have never been great. I tried a new thermostat, a 195*F Stant Superstat, thinking that my existing piece might be a 180* unit. It was actually the original Robertshaw 195* thermostat complete with AMC part number. It actually worked a lot better than the Stant junk, so it will go back in after I find time to do a chemical flush of the cooling system. In the process, I cracked the t-stat housing, but had an extra cast iron part sitting around. Got lucky there.

Last weekend I visited one of the local pick-and-pull wrecking yards and found a total of one FSJ, a lonely and picked-over '83 Wagoneer. It gave me a few goodies: two door speaker grilles and one door speaker bracket, a digital clock, and factory intermittent wiper switch and module. I took them to work today (all my tools are there) and verified that the clock works. I didn't have time to wire that in, but I did get the wiper switch and module installed after work. It works as it should, so I can get rid of the very tacky aftermarket intermittent wiper controller that was hanging out of the ashtray hole. As a bonus, the windshield washers work now as well. Score!

Oh, and the driver's side windshield wiper has always chattered badly on the upstroke, so I twisted the wiper arm with two Crescent wrenches so that the wiper rubber is dragged along the glass rather than pushed across it. Now the wipers work smoothly in both directions. Of course, as soon as I fixed it, it stopped raining...

Did you know? Willys is just Willis spelled differently, but pronounced the same. Neither Willy nor his apostrophe are involved.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Shakes hands with danger

Time for a little update. Nothing exciting. Truck started running fluffy on tip-in last week. It idled fine, but as soon as the throttle was opened a little, it fell down. Ran great if I gave it a boot full of dinosaurs or backed out completely.

OK, so that's an easy one to diagnose. Debris in one of the idle circuits playing hell with transition. Again. Sure enough, here's what the float bowl looked like:

With that much aquarium gravel I almost expected to find a family of sea monkeys swimming around. Luckily we have a vacuum-style brake bleeder at work, which worked well to slurp all that crap out of the float bowl. Several alternating shots of elbow grease, carb cleaner, and compressed air got it to looking suchaways:

And now it runs like it did before. Again.

Also, now wearing an argent muscle grille from HOOT. Much better. No pics of that yet.

Last edited by DarkMonohue : 04-13-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:22 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Well.

On account of a hell of a lot of fog and a bit of bad luck, I now have one slightly abbreviated Grand Cherokee. Pre-squish, it was a very clean example w/ 147K miles. One family since new, always adult owned, never thrashed. Has 31s, a Rubicon Express 3.5" lift, brand new Bilsteins, IRO front track bar, Addco rear sway bar, and was halfway through a comprehensive maintenance exercise. And then, the fog, the luck, the surreal early-morning phone calls, the wife going to the chiropractor every so often, and the sad, muddy, earthy, Jeeply remains dumped unceremoniously behind my place of employment, a constant reminder than I am now married to 4500 pounds of not quite a car.

Getting the ZJ back on the road would require, at a minimum, a new front axle housing, hood, LF fender, front lights, radiator, A/C condenser, upper radius rod, etc., and probably a lot of nickel and dime crap along the way.

Under the influence of fog of the mental variety, I'm contemplating pulling the Magnum 5.2/46RH combo out of the ZJ and stabbing it into the J20. Which would naturally involve wiring, plumbing, mounts, and replacing the NV249 with something more suitable.

Feel free to leave comments and suggestions here while I go tank up on absinthe and let the visions fly me around for a while.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:58 AM
1st Chair, Cowbell

I don't think you'd be gaining anything on your truck. It would give you something to do with the GC carcass, but........how would that be improving the truck?

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Last edited by Strode : 01-31-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:08 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strode
I don't think you'd be gaining anything on your truck. It would give you something to do with the GJ carcass, but........how would that be improving the truck?
Gains:
- Overdrive and lockup converter
- Multipoint EFI
- Swaps are cool

Losses:
- Lots and lots of work
- Original powertrain has half the mileage (but probably 1/10 the quality control)
- OEM is cool. AMC is cool. Mid-80s OEM AMC is absolute junk, but somehow cool.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:11 AM
1st Chair, Cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMonohue
Gains:
- Overdrive and lockup converter
- Multipoint EFI
- Swaps are cool

Losses:
- Lots and lots of work
- Original powertrain has half the mileage (but probably 1/10 the quality control)
- OEM is cool. AMC is cool. Mid-80s OEM AMC is absolute junk, but somehow cool.

What kind of mileage did you get on the GC? I'd think the truck would even be heavier?

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Old 01-31-2015, 01:30 AM
Shakes hands with danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strode
What kind of mileage did you get on the GC? I'd think the truck would even be heavier?
Certainly I wouldn't expect the truck to get better mileage than the GC, but better than the truck currently gets would be nice. The GC was pulling 13-14 around town, 17-18 highway. The truck averages 9-10 in winter and 11 in summer. Weight is pretty close either way, IIRC.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Shakes hands with danger

This afternoon, most of the old ZJ went away. It was sad watching it go. Still, I've seen others structure their lives around the ownership of undriveable vehicles, paying for storage year after year, dragging them around, and it's not something I want any part of. So it's gone now.

Since I was at the shop, I finally got the front pads and rotors replaced this afternoon. The front wheel bearing grease looked like it was old enough to vote. Washed that out, repacked the bearings, painted the front hubs, slid it all back together.

Halfway through the operation the water pump puked all over the floor.

Old 06-10-2021, 11:35 AM
230 Tornado

I really like this truck. I'm a M715, Grand Wagoneer guy, but I like this truck. Old, basic, and clean.