International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 PM
Grease Monkey

Have you guys heard of this stuff?

I'm just wondering if anyone hear has heard anything good, bad or ugly about this stuff?

Here is an excerpt from their site:

What are we all about? Internal Combustion Engine Cooling. Engine efficiency, enhanced power production, greater fuel economy, reduced emissions, improved overall vehicle performance - utilizing the most innovative cooling technology available. Our systems use revolutionary new cooling technology to completely eliminate the many problems, inadequacies, and dangers of today's water based cooling systems. A brief outline follows:
All liquid cooled internal combustion engines are cooled by water-based solutions to remove heat from the engine. Most use an Anti-Freeze mixture to prevent freezing and raise the boiling point of the cooling system. The Antifreeze most often used is Ethylene Glycol (“EG”) which is highly toxic (poisonous). Currently conventional coolants are a mixture of Ethylene Glycol and water (“EGW”), A mixture which creates serious problems for which answers have been sought for many years. Because of the water content in EGW (usually 30% to 50%), engines which must be operated at high cooling system pressure (from 15 to 24 PSIG) are still subject to boil-over failures (when operated at high temperature or engine loads). Additionally, because of the high pressures, components such as; hoses, radiators, and heater cores are subject to bursting failures. Also water produces water vapor (steam bubbles) in large volumes, within the engine coolant jackets, which is the fundamental cause of engine “knock” which reduces fuel efficiency and engine power and causes “cavitation” (trapped vapor stalling of the coolant pump, flow loss, and metal fracturing), resulting in loss of coolant, coolant flow and premature engine damage. Finally, EGW requires periodic coolant level checks and replacement, and it is highly toxic.
There has been no practical answer to the problems of EGW until Jack Evans developed Evans NPG™ as a revolutionary new coolant and cooling technology. A simple answer to all the problems of EGW cooling. NPG™ is a highly effective alternate, using Propylene Glycol (“PG”), a safe food and pharmaceutical additive. Most importantly, this new coolant contains no water, hence it has been termed Non-Aqueous (water-free) propylene glycol (“NPG”™) It is covered by many Evans patents, both issued and pending, for both the NPG™ coolant formulations and various system constructions which enhance the performance of the basic NPG™ coolant.
Evans NPG™ and now NPG+™ offer significant advantages over EGW coolants and propylene glycol water coolants (“PGW”), which are only slightly less toxic than EGW coolants. NPG™ virtually eliminates overheating (it will never boil-over). When used as a replacement coolant in current systems there is a marked reduction of critical engine “Hot Spots” (the major cause of engine “knock”), increased power and fuel efficiency (From 5% to 15% by extensive company and independent tests). NPG™ also eliminates virtually all cooling system corrosion (i.e.; rust and cavitation (vapor damage described earlier), and it is essentially non-toxic lifetime coolant (tested in excess of 500,000 miles). The coolant base PG is so safe that it is rated “Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS)” by the EPA, and it is not classified as a hazardous waste. Additional safe operation with an Evans NPG™ system is a result of the coolant operates at a “No to Low system pressure,” (from 0 to 7 PSIG) which means components will not be subjected to high pressure, as is used with EGW, (no “burst” failures) and there is significantly reduced danger of being burned by coolant spray if the cap is released.
Evans Waterless coolants are the future in engine cooling technology, which will be used in all internal combustion engines and vehicles to be manufactured in years to come. It is available to you now.

EVANS NPG™ & NPG+™ Coolants End Coolant

I'm not selling or promoting the stuff but I'm really interested in it because it can solve a lot of funny over-heating issues and it's great for using on the trails because if it spills, it's non-toxic.

It's freakin' expensive at $32.50USD/US gallon and $42.50CA/US Gallon up here. I'm looking to pick some up tomorrow and wonder if anyone has any info.

Greg
Mile Marker H10500 Hydraulic Winch
http://photobucket.com/albums/y174/bANGr/

It's all fun and games until someone breaks a woodie.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM
FSJ Maniac

I've seen the whole setup (new radiator, hoses, etc. from Evans) run on a TJ before...seems like a cool idea, and would be pretty awesome if it does actually work like they say it does.
Texas A&M Offroad
Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Diesel and urbo guys swear buy it.I think there is an article on it in Diesel Power magazine..they seem to like it a lot!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:12 PM

Sounds promising keep us updated how it goes....kinda spendy....but love the idea of adding and forgeting about it xept for periodically checking the level of the fluid.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:42 PM

I use it in my 1998 cummins have just over 800,000km on it no cavitation or cooling problems. Use it if you can afford it. I will be putting it in when I install my new 401.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

sounds to me like its a reboxed "flourenert"(forgive the spelling) the flourenert stuff is a coolant that is non conductive and superior cooling to any anti freeze setup as there is no water in it, amongst other reasons as well. i dont rember how much the flourenert stuff goes for but i bet its right about that price. people use the flourenert stuff in high end liquid cooled pc's because you can completely submerge the mother board and all the components save for the hard drive and stuff in it and then just run the flourenert through a cooling coil (or something to cool the liquid off) and not even have to worry about it because it is non conductive.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Gone. Not Forgotten.

It has been around since for as long as I know, (Used from memory to winterize RV water systems, and in industrial food processing cooling/heating systems) if interested do some reading,

http://www.dow.com/PublishedLiteratu...romPage=GetDoc

Mike D.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:19 PM

I would think that you could put the same $$$ towards SOLVING your cooling problems instead of trying to mask them with this product....

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:04 AM
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJ Guy
I would think that you could put the same $$$ towards SOLVING your cooling problems instead of trying to mask them with this product....

I agree. If my J10 can crawl around in the desert in 120 degree heat and not go above 200 degrees, so can yours. No "magic elixer" is going to do it.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:10 PM
FSJ Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dngrs1
I agree. If my J10 can crawl around in the desert in 120 degree heat and not go above 200 degrees, so can yours. No "magic elixer" is going to do it.

However, if you had an already efficient cooling system.......this would make it better, no?
Texas A&M Offroad
Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM
FSJ Maniac

It does work. I am planning on using it in the street car. Know many to have used it in mud boggers and circle track racers. The price is spendy but consider the long term factors.... no corrosion, last much longer, actually cools, environmentally safe, easier on parts.
1970 SST390 Javelin 10 yr project!

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

BLINKINLIGHTS ...

Keep us up to date on this subject! I for one would highly consider it providing it gets some decent reviews from other FSJ'ers.
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 05-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Interesting. I have no cooling problems, but I would love to prevent corrosion, and stop driving around with toxic chemicals that animals think taste yummy. My one question (aside from can I buy this from a refrigerant company for less), is will it lubricate the water pump properly?

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification