• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 82Eagle
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 13, 2018

Cargo panel carpet help needed

I just bought the ACC complete kit for my GW and im wondering if anyone has any tips to installing the carpeting onto the Masonite panels. I purchased the panels from TGW. The carpet sections seem a little small and I don’t want to force anything. Some photos of how someone secured these pieces would be a huge help.
    1985 GW, 1982 Eagle SX/4, 1986 Eagle wagon
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

You don't have a lot of choices. you will have to cut the panels down to fit the carpet, or call ACC and see what they say. I have the same set and the carpet for my tailgate was sewn kind of crooked. sanded down the tailgate card and made it fit. I never used the other pieces that you are having problems with. My factory vinyl side panels were in good shape so I glued it onto the new cards.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

If you start on page 52 of my build, that is where I start doing all my door panels and carpet. What I did was laid out the carpet on the panel and get it straight. Then I ran a board across the middle of the piece to hold everything in place. (I used C-clamps to hold the board in place) Then fold one half of the carpet so the back side is showing. Now spray the adhesive on the panel and the back side of the carpet. let both sides get tacky, work your way from the middle to the end, then repeat for the other half.
      1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

Do not try and drill through the carpet, it could possibly cause the carpet to run. Also on my tailgate carpet, one side was shorter than the other. The kit is not perfect, but it worked for me. You can see it in these two pics.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• 82Eagle
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 13, 2018

Excellent photos. I’ll check out your thread. I’ve done carpet before just not on panels like these. I do have a heat gun handy. Where I’m getting stuck is the vinyl trim piece that wraps around the edge of the panel. It must be a lot easier to put in place once the carpet is secured flat onto the panel. Maybe “test fitting” these doesn’t really work. How did you keep the vinyl edging from buckling around the corners? Will a heat gun help pursuade it?

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

We glued the sides down with that 3-m black trim adhesive in the tube. We just pulled it in place. Heat gun might help, but we did not use one. The key is that the panel is the same shape as the carpet. Basically, you can't change the shape of the carpet, so you have to change the shape of the panel. The factory stuff on my Wagon had some staples, but was mostly glued in place.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• 82Eagle
                230 Tornado
                • Aug 13, 2018

Gotcha. The carpet seems to fit most of the panels. I may have to round some corners. The piece that’s really not quite right is that small section over the wheel well. The corners are extremely sharp. The original edges were cut at those corners and folded over. Naturally I’m hesitant to cut anything if I shouldn’t. I’m clearly not an auto upholsterer lol

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Yeah, just clean up those spots a little and you should be good. My first interior job too.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                  X