International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General Chit-Chat

Old 07-16-2021, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Reminiscing...

Remember the good ol' days when a car had an upper radiator hose, a lower radiator hose, a couple other heater hoses you could buy in bulk? Yeah, you had to maintenance replace them every once in a while but that was scheduled maintenance and easy to do. AND it was like, $30 in rubber.

Last week the wife's Pathfinder had a sensor die. While I was replacing it, my fat clumsy arm broke a nipple off a hose.

No big deal, I thought. It's a 10 year plastic part, these have to be common items and probably pretty easy to replace. That SOB was $250!!!! AND you had to buy this whole hose assembly. There was no place to bypass it either; it is where the steam bypass, front heater core, and rear heater core all come together. My choices were:
1) Buy the $250 OEM part
2) Buy a wrecking yard part (it is probably almost broken, too)
3) buy a Cheapnese one for $180

This is the wife's car so I guess I am buying a $250 hose. Ggggrrrrr.....

Stupid Effing new car!!!
I'm only 44! Why am I reminiscing about coolant hoses?!
09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
Old 07-16-2021, 06:30 PM
hey,does anyone here know how to.......

try buying need today parts or a caddy

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:
Old 07-16-2021, 08:38 PM
350 Buick

A couple lengths of various hose sizes, a few spare belts, a few assorted clamps, some plastic hose splice thingy's..... all rolling around in the back of the jeep at the moment - just in case. Can't really do that with a tesla now, huh? Of course, a tesla doesn't really need much in the way of plumbing.... but just the same!

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:35 PM
350 Buick

Yes newer stuff is all plastic including intakes etc. People always say newer cars and trucks are so much more reliable… you can barely get a 100,000 mile warranty on a semi. I drive a 2020 Kenworth, 1 year warranty. A few things are covered for longer than that, but not much.
Old 07-17-2021, 07:38 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadin'
Of course, a tesla doesn't really need much in the way of plumbing....

Tesla's have radiators and plumbing too plus a whole lot more to go wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by rang-a-stang
Remember the good ol' days when a car had an upper radiator hose, a lower radiator hose, a couple other heater hoses you could buy in bulk? Yeah, you had to maintenance replace them every once in a while but that was scheduled maintenance and easy to do. AND it was like, $30 in rubber.

Last week the wife's Pathfinder had a sensor die. While I was replacing it, my fat clumsy arm broke a nipple off a hose.

No big deal, I thought. It's a 10 year plastic part, these have to be common items and probably pretty easy to replace. That SOB was $250!!!! AND you had to buy this whole hose assembly. There was no place to bypass it either; it is where the steam bypass, front heater core, and rear heater core all come together. My choices were:
1) Buy the $250 OEM part
2) Buy a wrecking yard part (it is probably almost broken, too)
3) buy a Cheapnese one for $180

This is the wife's car so I guess I am buying a $250 hose. Ggggrrrrr.....

Stupid Effing new car!!!
I'm only 44! Why am I reminiscing about coolant hoses?!

That's why a 49 year old truck is my daily driver That said the '99 Taurus I bought for $1,600 in '99 went from one end of this country to the other and back again and in 13 years I changed the tires twice, the heater core and ball joints once and did nothing else to it but oil changes. The last 2 years I had it it cost me over $2,000 for repairs and when it was donated to charity it needed another $1,500 in repairs. All in all 15 years of use for a total of under $6,000 wasn't too bad. It also got 33MPG highway, something even cars with tiny little 4 bangers seem to have trouble getting. On top of that the charity I donated it to got $1,500 for it

All of that said, I hate new cars because they are such a pain to work on.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:05 PM
327 Rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBur
God knows what you need to take with you to Tesla. I think that after 3-5 years of operation, the trunk of a Tesla will be no less necessary than in the trunk of a gasoline car.

Most TSLA's by then will have either burned to the ground or have "Full Self Crashed" themselves into a salvage yard.

My BMWs have the funkiest coolant hose fittings and other things that are pretty ridiculous. Great performing cars, especially when the turbo'd versions are tuned, but overly complicated vehicles nonetheless. Even all the individual LED lights everywhere have sensors to inform the system when to alert you when one burns out. All those electricals and their gremlins require a massive H9 battery rated at 110 amp hours, and it'll play hell when the battery gets old.

My build thread:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189245
My Howell TBI Install How-To:
https://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=189877