• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jay-ten
    232 I6
    • Dec 18, 2008

One Dim Headlight?

So I had one dim headlight and thought I would replace both sides with O'Reilly's Silver Star headlights. I did and the side that was dim with the old headlight is still dim with the new headlight. I am thinking it is a low voltage problem or a weak ground on that side. I am looking for input to help me troubleshoot this.
    I think my first step is to remove the new headlight and check the voltage at the plug for the headlight.
    Your thoughts?
    Thanks.
    '74 J-10 & '79 Cherokee Golden Eagle
    http://sites.google.com/site/jeepj10pickup/
    Gone but not forgotten:
    '76 Wagoneer - 401 & '77 Cherokee Chief W/T - 360
  • Romanov
    232 I6
    • Feb 27, 2012

In a two headlight system one headlamp has two elements. One element for low and both for high. You have three wires on your connecter, the thing plugged into the lamp. Check the plug with a test lamp, with the lights on high you should have power to two of the wires. If you do not trace back until you find the break. Also check that you have twelve volts. If that is not your problem then a bad or weak ground would be your problem.

Now would be a good time to put in a relay to give your lamps voltage direct from the battery.

Comment

The ground on the dim side is probably broken off or the plug is bad.
      Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

There's only one

In all probability it's the ground wire that is the problem. There's only one groung wire per headlight. It's black & goes to a screw on the header panel that is probably corroded. repair or clean it & you'll be good to go.
        Last edited by serehill; 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Edlebrock performer intake
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs
        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Showngo
          327 Rambler
          • Aug 19, 2010

In all likelyhood it is your ground,I would check there first,but I had a buddy years ago that had the same problem,turned out to be a fuse,the glass ones.Looked good,but when we replaced it the headlight was bright again.
          90 Wagoneer w/65 Wag.grille,Cj7 lights,360 AMC w/edelbrock perf.cam,lifters,timing chain,intake,carb,and,headers,custom SS exhaust w/magnaflow muffler,Black cherry pearl w/cordovan interior.Rusty's 4" lift w/KMC revolver bronze 17 x 9 wheels ,& Toyo MT 295-70-17 tires(33").http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/d...nd%20Wagoneer/

Comment

• muddy
            258 I6
            • Aug 30, 2011

Originally posted by Romanov
            In a two headlight system one headlamp has two elements. One element for low and both for high. You have three wires on your connecter, the thing plugged into the lamp. Check the plug with a test lamp, with the lights on high you should have power to two of the wires. If you do not trace back until you find the break. Also check that you have twelve volts. If that is not your problem then a bad or weak ground would be your problem.

Now would be a good time to put in a relay to give your lamps voltage direct from the battery.

When did they start doing that?(the part in red)
            I just finished putting relays on my 87 GW, and only one terminal on the connector is "hot" at a time, one for hi, and one for lo.
            1987 Grand Wagoneer,
            well worn, bone stock, with 120K miles.
            added a snow plow, and looking for a lift.

Comment

The connector on the back of the lamp is oxydized. If you wiggle it while the lights are on, they will likely flicker brighter or go off completely. Try some contact cleaner.
              Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
              Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

Uh Never

Originally posted by muddy
                When did they start doing that?(the part in red)
                I just finished putting relays on my 87 GW, and only one terminal on the connector is "hot" at a time, one for hi, and one for lo.
                They come on one at a time. Ground is still your most probable point of failure.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Working...
                X