• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iroc86
    258 I6
    • Oct 24, 2003

Originally posted by racegas
    I'm trying to find the factory relays that control the power locks. I have read that they are behind the dash, but can't find any reference beyond that. I have the Factory Manual and the section on Power Locks doesn't even mention them. Can anyone give me an idea as to what I am looking for?

I've got power at the switch, but am not hearing the relays clicking when I move the switch.
    IIRC, the relays behind the dashboard only operate when using the original infrared (IR) keyless entry system. The door switches are wired directly to the lock actuators and bypass the relays (they also carry the full electrical current).

I think I remember the IR relays being near the middle of the dash, maybe behind the radio area. You'll probably have to drop the A/C unit to see them.

Comment

• acct21
      327 Rambler
      • May 20, 2014

+1 on what iroc86 said -- the relays are only for the RKE in the overhead console. At the doors the locks operate without the use of the relays.

Also wanted to add that I used the later Chrysler RF module 'trunk opener' to wind down my tailgate window. I figured since the button was there...

I used a timer relay to make the system work the way I wanted:

wolstentech.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wolstentech.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

with the (+) trigger coming from one of the trunk output on the RKE module. Have the load (L) on the timer relay feed a heavy-duty automotive relay that provides (+)12V to the leg of your motor that lowers the window. Then set the timer relay for a 4-5 second turn-off.

When you activate the RKE button, it will trip the timer relay, which will provide power to the automotive relay for that set amount of time. While the timer relay is energized the automotive relay will provide (+)12V to the window motor long enough for it to roll down.

Last edited by acct21; 10-12-2015, 06:48 PM.
      1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• iroc86
        258 I6
        • Oct 24, 2003

Originally posted by acct21
        Also wanted to add that I used the later Chrysler RF module 'trunk opener' to wind down my tailgate window. I figured since the button was there...
        Nice job! I'm glad to see someone else using the RKE trunk output to operate the tailgate window. I did something similar with "auto-down" modules from mid-'90s Ford cars. It automatically shuts off when it detects a stalled window motor (high current draw). You can also wire the RKE lock output to roll the window up, controlling both directions with the fob.

EDIT: If anyone tries this, I think you'll need to use a 555 timer circuit to pulse the auto-down modules. It's been a few years since I did it, but I seem to remember the trunk output holding the line hot for too long, causing the auto-down module to revert to manual mode.

Comment

• Cherokeeowner
          258 I6
          • Jul 25, 2010

iroc86, your video is marked private.
          Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

"Proud to be prissy."

1988 Grand Wagoneer

1986 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• iroc86
            258 I6
            • Oct 24, 2003

Originally posted by Cherokeeowner
            iroc86, your video is marked private.
            Thanks for letting me know. I fixed the link.

Comment

• dlopeman
              232 I6
              • Sep 09, 2015

I've added this to my WANT list!!!

Comment

Working...
              X