• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jumpin_jumpin
    232 I6
    • Feb 03, 2018

Broken Door Hinge Pin?

Pics of what I'm looking at. When pushing on the button to open the rear drivers door, the rod skips above the plate, and therefore doesn't spring back. Only does so once the inside handle is used.

I disassembled the whole thing and it all looks fine enough. But I *think* what's happening is that the downward movement of the door caused by this broken hinge is what's causing the rod to skip off the plate.

But I cannot tell what's happening here. I imagine there should be a hinge pin going through but in the close ups it looks like a solid piece. Can't even find definition that there is/was a pin here. New hinge needed? Is there a pin that should run through there that's just perfectly seared off?

Last edited by jumpin_jumpin; 05-14-2021, 08:15 PM.
  • SlowGear
    232 I6
    • Jan 12, 2013

For sure that pin has sheared and it looks like the bushing and pin are fused together, giving the appearance of being one piece.
    Mike

88 Grand Wagoneer
    Bone stock - except the missing stuff

Comment

It sounds like you're talking two different issues.

Yes, hinge pin is sheared, probably better off looking for a hinge, don't know if pins and bushings are available.

The other thing you've mentioned is the outer door handle button not releasing until the inside one is cycled. Been a long time since I've been in one, but check for slop in the handle mechanism or something bent in the lock assembly. The broken pin creates a bind on the latch and striker. The plate the outside handle contacts might be bent back just enough to let it slide over.
      Art
      ASE Master Collision Tech
      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

Working...
      X