• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MysticRob
    350 Buick
    • Nov 26, 2019

Overdrive Transmission Options?

Being a fan of originality and believing you can improve upon that which already exists, I've been looking into ways of improving mileage on my stock drivetrain 88 GW.

Obviously fuel injection is a good way to ensure proper operation, but being that I want to continue using the original 360 engine, I know doing a transmission swap is the best way to lower RPMs and save on gas over our 3-speed 727s.

Problem is, there isn't a lot of info I've seen on fitment and retrofitting of more modern overdrive transmissions in our rigs. I know there's a 360 block used in some 1998 Grand Cherokees and Durangos, so will those 4-speed overdrive transmissions work behind our rigs or are the mounting holes different? Or is that a different block (aka Chrysler vs AMC) altogether?

What other four or even five speed tranny is available, what's "easy", and what else would need done to swap?
    Can the NP229 I have be reused? Is there a better xfer case option with an overdrive tranny option?

I'm looking for "as plug and play as possible", wouldn't mind going with a resized drive shaft, but don't really want to swap out much else or have things fabricated.

Any good info out there beyond the search function not really showing me much?
    --Rob--
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
    https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Isn't that the Chrysler LA 360? A '98 ZJ could come with a 318, and the Chryco 360 is an upsized version of that. Different. As I recall, some have used the AW4 from an XJ. The WJ Grand Cherokee used the 42RE, a 4-speed overdrive descendant of the 727, with the 4.0L which should be the same bell pattern as your 360. You'd need to work out a flex plate to fit and balance the 360, and the 42RE is electronically controlled - so you'd need some kind of controller. The 42RE in the WJ does not have a stellar reputation for durability, but apparently they can be built to remedy that.

Last edited by tgreese; 12-11-2020, 01:42 PM.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• MysticRob
      350 Buick
      • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by tgreese
      Isn't that the Chrysler LA 360? A '98 ZJ could come with a 318, and the Chryco 360 is an upsized version of that. Different. As I recall, some have used the AW4 from an XJ. The WJ Grand Cherokee used the 42RE, a 4-speed overdrive descendant of the 727, with the 4.0L which should be the same bell pattern as your 360. You'd need to work out a flex plate to fit and balance the 360, and the 42RE is electronically controlled - so you'd need some kind of controller. The 42RE in the WJ does not have a stellar reputation for durability, but apparently they can be built to remedy that.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4/
      I just know there's a spec'd up ZJ that came with a 360 in 98 (and special awesome hood vent extractors, LOL), but figure it's the mopar unit, and not an AMC.

I've read the A518 / 46RH is a 727 with an overdrive gear on it, and doesn't require a controller, but would require a different length shorter drive shaft.

I did see a couple mentions of the AW4, which apparently works well, but requires some adapters, etc.

I can see why many people just completely swap out the engine and transmission both, doesn't seem like many easy tranny options to improve mileage.
      --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• J20 project
        304 AMC
        • Dec 27, 2000

1998 Grand Cherokees and Durangos, so will those 4-speed overdrive transmissions work behind our rigs or are the mounting holes different? Or is that a different block (aka Chrysler vs AMC) altogether?

Yur kidding right?..you believe a 70 dodge tranny will bolt onto a 360/5.9 AMc?
        \\\\

Good luck sir.
        BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
        775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• MysticRob
          350 Buick
          • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by J20 project
          1998 Grand Cherokees and Durangos, so will those 4-speed overdrive transmissions work behind our rigs or are the mounting holes different? Or is that a different block (aka Chrysler vs AMC) altogether?

Yur kidding right?..you believe a 70 dodge tranny will bolt onto a 360/5.9 AMc?
          \\\\

Good luck sir.
          I don't believe anything, hence the word "will" I used in the form of a question.
          I know our GWs came with a 727 transmission, which was a Mopar unit, correct? If that tranny worked behind both the AMC And Mopar engines, would a later model Mopar overdrive unit also work behind our 360s?

EDIT: I found this pdf site that specifically mentions the AMC/Jeep 727 not being interchangeable with Mopar engines, so sounds like the later Mopar overdrive units likely won't work on an AMC 360. Too bad, but will do more research.

"The reader should be aware that the AMC versions of the 727 transmission will not interchange to Mopar engines. The bolt pattern *looks* quite similar, but is not."
          Last edited by MysticRob; 12-11-2020, 08:54 PM.
          --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• crazydog
            350 Buick
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by MysticRob
            Being a fan of originality and believing you can improve upon that which already exists, I've been looking into ways of improving mileage on my stock drivetrain 88 GW.

Obviously fuel injection is a good way to ensure proper operation, but being that I want to continue using the original 360 engine, I know doing a transmission swap is the best way to lower RPMs and save on gas over our 3-speed 727s.

Problem is, there isn't a lot of info I've seen on fitment and retrofitting of more modern overdrive transmissions in our rigs. I know there's a 360 block used in some 1998 Grand Cherokees and Durangos, so will those 4-speed overdrive transmissions work behind our rigs or are the mounting holes different? Or is that a different block (aka Chrysler vs AMC) altogether?

What other four or even five speed tranny is available, what's "easy", and what else would need done to swap?
            Can the NP229 I have be reused? Is there a better xfer case option with an overdrive tranny option?

I'm looking for "as plug and play as possible", wouldn't mind going with a resized drive shaft, but don't really want to swap out much else or have things fabricated.

Any good info out there beyond the search function not really showing me much?
            As has been said, the 727 used in FSJ's has a specific case to bolt to the AMC block. As does the TH400 used in the 70's.

Here is how @ristow adapted a Mopar OD transmission to an AMC block.

i started this project a couple months ago,was going to give it to Zack for a few articles in FSJ magazine,but since that magazine is gone,and the new regime doesn't want multiple feature tech articles,i thought i'd share it with you guys. i've been wanting an o/d tranny for a while in the wag,and i dislike the turbo700,it's

If you want an overdrive automatic transmission you can use adapters from Novax to attach a 700R4 to the AMC block and the stock NP transfer case.

1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Ah, very bueno post, thank you!
              I'd seen mention of Novak in another thread, but had no idea how much stuff they had available. I'll research them and do a cost analysis. Likely will stay with the ancient 727 and NP229 for a while till they need rebuilding/replacing.
              --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• SC/397
                Administrator
                • Feb 01, 2010

Like mentioned above...
                A dodge/cryco 360 is NOT an AMC engine no more than a ford 360 is a AMC engine.
                Any transmission that will bolt up to the 4L AMC Jeep engine will bolt up to the AMC V8 engines.

The two automatic overdrive choices for direct bolt up to the AMC V8 and go are the Aisin AW4 or the chrysler 500SE.
                I am a believer in the AW4. It is the best automatic transmission I have ever ran.
                I have one in my Javelin that works great. Other than these two transmissions, you will have to use an adapter kit.

AW4 Aisin Warner Aluminum 4 oil/water 242 (4.0) 1987–2006 Jeep

500SE (42RE) Chrysler Aluminum 4 oil/water 242 (4.0) 1993–2004 Jeep
                The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• '89_Wagon
                  232 I6
                  • Jan 01, 2019

I have a AMC 360/aw4/np229 setup with 3.31 gears and it works well. Also running a GM style TBI. I have not measured the mpg. I did the swap for similar reasons the OP did it for. One thing I don't like about it is the shifter situation. Unlike GM transmission swaps, there's no off the shelf solution so I just used a u-clamp to hold the shifter linkage together. So far, it's fallen apart once. I'm sure there's a better way though. I have a AW4 swap thread on here if you're interested.

With all that said, I'm pretty sure my engine has piston slap so faced with rebuilding the 360 or going LS, I'm going LS with a GM 4 speed.
                  '89 Grand Wagoneer
                  AW4 Swap

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by MysticRob
                    I've read the A518 / 46RH is a 727 with an overdrive gear on it, and doesn't require a controller, but would require a different length shorter drive shaft.
                    I would expect any of these swaps would need new driveshafts. If not mentioned, it's because it's so obvious. More speeds implies more guts in the case and a longer case. Plus the car companies have no reason to make different transmissions the same length.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 80Limited
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 19, 2015

I have done the AW4 it is worth it.

Comment

• MysticRob
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 80Limited
                        I have done the AW4 it is worth it.
                        It's funny I'd never heard of an AW4 before buying my GW, so imagine my surprise when I discovered it's short for Aisin-Warner, both of which I've heard of separately.

I shall research this some more and see if I can figure out how to economically swap at some point.
                        --Rob--

My build thread:

Comment

• 80Limited
                          232 I6
                          • Feb 19, 2015

I have a thread here on the site of what I used.

Comment

• 80Limited
                            232 I6
                            • Feb 19, 2015

I think the thread is: AW4 swap complete.

Comment

• fastjeep
                              232 I6
                              • Nov 20, 2009

Has anybody looked into the 6L80 from GM. Has chevy bell pattern so adapter to AMC engine thru Novak or AA. Novak has adapter to Dana 300 or NP 208 in fsj transfer. There is a controller now to operate the electronic valve body that only needs a rpm and tps signal from any engine so with Fitech injection I have on my J10 will fill those signals. The 6L80 has a 4.02 first gear for great starting torque and 5th and 6th gears are overdrive lowering cruise rpms. The trans are found in 07 to 14 various models as silverados and escalades and corvettes ( are rear mounted to transaxle ) I have one from a caprise police unit that was crashed. Will need to go to a floor shifter as column will not have the required detents. You can also use paddle shifters if you want to. The over all length is only about 2 inches longer than 727 trans.

Comment

Working...
                              X