International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-09-2004, 03:02 PM

I've got a 68 J3700 with a closed knuckle D44 front and D53 rear and would like to upgrade to an open knuckle D44 and D60. I think this should be a fairly easy swap, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious before I go looking for axles.

1. The J3700 has 2" springs and most donor vehicles will have 2.5" springs (right). I should be able to swap the perches from my J3700 axles to the new ones right? The perches are just on the tubes, not on the differential housing like on my CJ.

2. Brakes should be easy. But I am looking for disc brakes (at least fronts), will I need to get a bigger master cylinder? If so, how do I know what vehicle's master cylinders will work on my truck?

3. Wheel bolt pattern. I'll probably have to get Ford axles because of the bolt pattern right? Unless I want new wheels, which I may end up doing.

So, has anyone done the swap? What are some good vehicles to look at for axles? I was just going to goto the yard and look at Ford and Chevy (and whatever else they have) 3/4 ton trucks.

Should I stop asking questions now?

Thanks for any and all help, this is a great forum
-Andrew
Old 03-09-2004, 03:13 PM

i used a 79 wags d44. it was relatively easy. brake lines were a little different. I swithched out the rear too to have the same gearing that way. the center pumkin was further offset then the older that i had, so i might have used my older axle and re geared it highter if i had it to do again. i was looking for faster down the freeway. i don't go four wheel all the time and i will grunt it in first gear on the hunting trails with chains if need be the way i am.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:55 PM

Aren't wagoneer axles more narrow than J truck axles?

There aren't many FSJs in the local junkyards so I'm really looking only at Ford/Chevy/GM/Dodge axles.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:00 PM

i pushed mine in a little i have put 4000 miles on them and the bushing's still look fine. i got to say i hope to open my perches up the inch or so i need but it's working.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Master Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by crazandy:
Aren't wagoneer axles more narrow than J truck axles?

There aren't many FSJs in the local junkyards so I'm really looking only at Ford/Chevy/GM/Dodge axles.
Waggy's are narrow track,all J-trucks and W/T Chero's are wide track.
You would want wide trak for a J-truck.
Chevy,Ford and Dodge axles are all wider than the wide track axles,but to my understanding
alot of the axles from the "BIG -3" are direct bolt ins.
Hope this helps.

Adam
1980 Jeep J-10<br />AMC 360 (stock except some chrome)<br />Dual exhaust<br />Dana44 front AMC20 rear<br />4\" inch Trailmaster susp.lift<br />Chevy shackles front,extra leaf rear=5\"inches total lift for now<br />35x12.50 15(no fender triming)<br />body lift coming up soon<br />SOA not far off<br /><a href=\"http://www.fsjworld.com/BigBlueJ10/\" target=\"_blank\">\'80 J10 BigBlue</a><br />\"It\'s not that life\'s to short...<br />It\'s just that your dead for so long\"