International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 12-22-2002, 11:36 PM

Well I should have known. I got the newly rebuilt carb on the GW last week, put the ski racks on this weekend.... (I loved the way the GW looked before, and it looks real good with a ski rack and a few paris of skis on it.) And I headed to the hills for a fun filled weekend of skiing. And let me tell you what the Wagg ran like a champ. Smooth, and nice. I went from getting 7MPG to 11! I was pumped. Yesterday afternoon I stoped at a place near the MTN for a few hours and when I went to leave my Grand Wag was dead.

I got in, turned the key and nothing... First thing I though was that I left somthing on, and killed the battery. But that wasn't the case. The dash lights came on, the radio came on, and the headlights worked fine.

What ever the problem is, it is between the key, and the starter. Does anyone have any Idea what this could be, and have an Idea of how I may fix it? I can only leave My Wagg where it is until tonight, then I have to get it towed. I woudl much rather drive it. Any Ideas would be really helpful. I am not real fired up about having to pay for a tow truck at this time.. (right before Xmas) Thanks.
Man I was bummed. The Wag hadn't run as well as it was this weekend since I got it 6 months ago. And 11 MPG.. that was like getting free gas. I hope I can fix this without too much trouble.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:56 PM
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally posted by olin18:
I got in, turned the key and nothing... First thing I though was that I left somthing on, and killed the battery. But that wasn't the case. The dash lights came on, the radio came on, and the headlights worked fine.
Could be your starter relay, under the hood, passanger side fender. If the relay doesn't click, when your turn your key, either relay is bad or in my case connectors are dirty and oxidized. I was able to clean the contacts and on my way. If the relay does click once then nothing, then could be your starter. I have heard that wacking the starter on the side does the trick sometimes. Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Isn't that the way it goes. We had a little snow on Friday and that night my alternator started growling real bad. darn thing. Oh well. Saturday I just swapped it with the one from my other.

I agree with Woody. Best place to start.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:15 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

uhhmn, sounds like what happened to me a few yrs ago. what happened was the wiring harness along the right exhaust manifold got too close to the exhaust and shorted. this blew one of the fusable links in a red wire between the alternator and the starter. i was able to revive it by hot wiring the coil, and jumping the starter. this eliminated the key and all the stuff between. i drove home with no lights. try this,MAKE SURE THE TRANS IS IN PARK!! cross the starter connections with the key in the run position. does the starter crank and the engine start? if yes, drive it home and the problem is just between the switch and the starter. if the starter cranks but the engine doesnt fire, the coil isnt getting juice. you will need to put juice to the coil. put a jumper between the coil and the battery. this would go from the positive terminal of the battery to the + side of the coil.the red wire. (im not real sure about this, i would get a 2nd opinion) make sure the key is in a position to allow the steering column to move before you take off. if you take a few basic things with you. 3' of 14awg wire, pliers, electrical tape. jumper cables and a known good battery. you should be able to start this puppy. a replacement fusable link may be a good idea too. goood luck
Old 12-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Banned

I hope this works....here is a diagram to bypass the ignition via the starter relay. I got my truck home 24 miles this way on Friday. You will not have any turnsignals or any electricals that need the key on. Nor will the battery charge. Take a full charge battery and use this bypass. It may not run as strong either due to not having electric to the fuel system. You can remove the two small wires off the relay to put the jumper wires on but make sure you re-connect them before trying to start it. They must be on to run the motor. This should get you home. Good luck. DONT USE THE HEADLIGHTS !!!
Old 12-23-2002, 12:39 AM
Banned

I'll try the image again.... Starter relay jump
Old 12-23-2002, 12:44 AM
Banned

If this dont work email me at awilliams22@wi.rr.com

and I'll send the pic.

Old 12-23-2002, 01:03 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick replys. Kyman, I was able to get that diagram.

From what I read above I would have to believe that the problem is the relay. Because there is no clicking noise when the key is truned. Every started that I have ever had go bad made a click noise when it just started to go. Does a started just die all of the sudden? Or do they die a slowly? Cause it was starting great all weekend. Having to get a new started would $$ Suck! $$.

It could also be that some wires melted, the GW did get warmer than it usally does. 4WD uphill, slow speed. Getting to the MTN. It did run a little warm for a while.

I Thank you for the diagram, It will be very helpful it trying to "Just get it home"
As far as fixing the prob. Sounds like new wires and a new relay are a good place to start.
Does anyone know what I could expect to pay for a new relay, and if they are easy to find? Are they hard to change?
Thanks.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:13 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

While you're under there, give your clutch fan a wiggle. That could be why you got a little warm at slow speed.
79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl
Old 12-23-2002, 03:10 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

uhhmn, the wiring can be repaired. if its a mitsubishi starter, the relays arent readily available, but another can be substituted. my problem was caused by the harness coming into direct contact with a hot exhaust. the insulation burnt off and shorted a hot wire to ground. this popped a fusable link which supplied 12v to the key and the dash board.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:36 AM
Sloppy Shifter

I am thinking you have a Mitsu starter, if you do the above diagram will not apply. I Forget the color of the wire but I think it is GREEN it will run with the large cable to the starter, it Plugs into the relay on the fender, where the battery cable and starter cable hook to. If you were to turn the Key on and put power to the Smaller wire that runs to the starter (possibly GREEN) the engine will turn over, unless starter is bad. This should start it unless the relay is realy fried and is not going to power the ignition as well.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:14 AM

If you are not getting power on the starter relay, your ignition switch on the steering column, up under the dash has either slipped position or is wore out or burnt up. Either way it is not making contact. This is a very common problem. Again, check to see if you have power on the starter relay.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:21 AM

Shift it to drive and back into park. That is the simplest thing to do first. If it isnt fully in park it will do what you are describing.
Richard
88 Wagoneer

Old 12-23-2002, 04:22 AM
Master Mechanic

A bad ground can very easily do this, happened to me twice. Lights come on, accessories work, but no starty or even clicky noises. I took apart the whole wiring harness before I figured it out the first time this happened. Check the ground first before you go through the pain I did.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:46 AM

Thank you to everyone. This information is really going to help me out. If it was just that the Jeep wan't in Park I am going to feel like a tool, But I would be a happy tool. And A bad ground would be a nice easy fix too.
Thanks again to everyone, and Merry Christmas.