• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tzummie
    232 I6
    • Aug 19, 2006

windscreen chrome strip mounting

anyone tips & tricks on mounting the strip (on the rubber) around the front windscreen?

thnx in advance!
    T.
    1982 Wagoneer ltd.
  • addicted
    Big Meanie
    • Dec 11, 2004

The sides and bottom are pretty easy to mount it's the top piece that needs a second set of hands. A little dish soap and water in a spray bottle will help to lube the rubber so the metal pieces slide into place easier.
    Originally posted by Ristow
    i bet it was Simon....
    he's such big meanie that way...
    please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Tzummie
      232 I6
      • Aug 19, 2006

thnx! Any problem with finding the holes where the screws should go?
      1982 Wagoneer ltd.

Comment

• addicted
        Big Meanie
        • Dec 11, 2004

Not really. Once you get the trim lined up where it will sit the holes pretty much line up. If I remember correctly the screws are self tapping so if it doesn't line up perfectly you might not even know.
        Originally posted by Ristow
        i bet it was Simon....
        he's such big meanie that way...
        please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Tzummie
          232 I6
          • Aug 19, 2006

ok, cool. tnx. Guess soaking the rubber with soap is the trick..
          1982 Wagoneer ltd.

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

two extra sets of hands help alot - it took us all day to do mine with a new seal
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tzummie
              232 I6
              • Aug 19, 2006

yep. upper strip took me half a day; "secret" is to make sure the strip form fits the weatherstrip as good as possible. The lower ones are the ugly ones; Due to the somewhat larger size of the underside of the windscreen rubber, also the strips don't fit too well.

Finding the original screw holes is nearly impossible, and the original screws are NOT self-tapping (in fact, they're the most blunt screws I've ever come across..).

So need to think of a solution for that. (when trying to "find" the orginal hole, there's so much scratching on the paint going on, that I'm afraid new rust spots will come up there..).

Swapping the front wind screen + re-installing the strips is a REAL challenge and by far my least favorite..
              1982 Wagoneer ltd.

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

I recall it was a struggle. I used silicone spray to help slide on the pieces. I was able to do it with no help.

If I had know it was going to be a struggle, I would have recorded my steps. All I recall is there is was specific order in which the pieces must go on. Also, by looking at the parts, it's surprising that they would stay in place - but once installed, they are all held down tightly.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Tzummie
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 19, 2006

yes, it's indeed surprising the installed strips hold real tight, even without the screws. Going to mark the screw holes with marked tape, so I know where to screw (somewhere)..
                  1982 Wagoneer ltd.

Comment

Ice pck can help line up and locate your holes as well.
                    Art
                    ASE Master Collision Tech
                    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

Working...
                    X