International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Grease Monkey

Sell the Wagoneer, or not?

Hey Fellas,
I need some quick advise. I'm getting ready to buy a new pickup in the next couple of days. My trade in is a 2wd. I bought my '88 Wagoneer to drive in bad weather and for hunting trips. I've added a BJ's 4" lift and a new reman 360 engine. It's mechanically sound, but it needs some body work and the usual FSJ attention.

In a perfect world, I'd buy a new 4wd pickup and keep the Wagoneer just for fun, but that's tough to justify. My current plan is to trade my old 2wd pickup for a new 2wd pickup and keep driving the Wagoneer in the snow. But, if I could get at least $4000 for the Wagoneer, that would pay for the 4wd upgrade on the new truck.

Is there any chance that I could get that much for the Wagoneer or should I go with a 2wd pickup and hang onto the Wagoneer? Thanks.

John
Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Ph.D in Redneckology

Waggy prices are like the stock market. My advice...if it's paid for then keep it. With the body issues you can take it off road and if you happen to bump into something then you will be less likely to loss your lunch.
lllllll0
_(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)___

1983 Cherokee Chief Laredo W/T 360/auto

1982 Cherokee Chief W/T 360/4 speed

I now have an official Muslim name...Ochroma Bin Polishin.

Click link for pics of restored Full Size Jeeps (on last page)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/363842\
Old 03-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Dont sell the Wag ... I have sold two in my past (almost three) and regreted it both times.

----------------
1994 Cherokee, the daily driver ...
1976 Wagoneer, 401 complete with original vacuum disaster and electrical nightmare, both of which have been fixed prior to the sale of this rig
1978 Cherokee, " Roadie " recently driven back from Phoenix to Texas ... no trailer involved!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyhutch
Dont sell the Wag ... I have sold two in my past (almost three) and regreted it both times.

Yep, cant agree more. One day you'll wish you hadnt. Ever feel like you have bought the same parts/upgrades more than once?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:25 AM

Yup, I believe that is the way it is on all the trucks ... plugs wires and the regular - then all the sudden you are looking at carpet options etc. etc. !

----------------
1994 Cherokee, the daily driver ...
1976 Wagoneer, 401 complete with original vacuum disaster and electrical nightmare, both of which have been fixed prior to the sale of this rig
1978 Cherokee, " Roadie " recently driven back from Phoenix to Texas ... no trailer involved!
Old 03-13-2008, 06:51 AM
Grease Monkey

Thanks for the reenforcement guys. We're keeping the Wagoneer. I just wanted to make sure we were making the right decision. We ordered the new truck last night. It's a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd Ext. cab SLT. It's by far the nicest truck that I ever had. It's only a couple of options short of a Denali. It should make a very cushy daily driver. I'm excited!

John
Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Gear Head

Congrats on the keeping the Waggy!! oh, and the new truck!!
Exploration ready!!
sold
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Grease Monkey

You work too fast! I was just getting started convincing my wife it was a good idea to make you an offer. Enjoy the new truck!
Jeep Pictures and Advertising
Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Grease Monkey

Earl,
Offer away! If the deal is good enough, I might still be interested. What did you have in mind?

John
Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 AM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIL
... if I could get at least $4000 for the Wagoneer, ...
John

John:

I'm gonna presume that you misplaced a decimal. So what's four hunnert bucks in the grand scheme o' things? Congrats on the fancy new truck! I'll bet that owning an old Jeep on the side makes for a lot of fun when you can just drive the snot outta the thing and not have to worry about it getting you to work in the morning!

I rode in a bran-dam-new pickup oncet. It even had the new, as yet unproven, slushbox transmission and automatic windshield wipers. It was purty durn nice, but I wouldn't care to bet on it when the chips are down.

S.J.

'83 Wagoneer
360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Grease Monkey

Serious,
No misplaced decimal. It costs about $3500 plus taxes to go from a 2wd to a 4wd. New trucks are expensive! That's why I didn't just jump to a 4wd in the first place. I've got a little over $6000 invested in the Wagoneer, so far. If I could get about $4000 out of it, I would be out about $2000. But, I've driven it for two years. We'll just call that $2000 "depreciation". It is nice to have the Jeep as a play vehicle. I try not to beat it too much, but the dents and dings don't bother me either. Just for the record, I've been driving the Wagoneer to/from work every day for a couple of months to keep miles off my trade-in pickup. So far, the Wagoneer has been pretty reliable. Even when it's not my daily driver, I try to drive the Wagoneer to work once a week, usually on Fridays, just to keep it exercised.

John
Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
350 Buick

If they bend that far backward to give you $4k in a trade for your Waggy, then you'll just be bending that far forward in the price for the new truck. If ya know what I mean.

CJ truck project
'18 Jeep Renegade
'15 Jeep Cherokee
Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Grease Monkey

I know exactly what you mean. But, I'm not going to trade in the Jeep. I was hoping to sell the Jeep out right to help fund the 4wd upgrade on the new truck. As it is, I think the new truck will be a 2WD and the Jeep will remain the bad weather 4wd.

John