• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

9" stronger than D70?

Check this out:

According to them, a 9" with 35 splines would be "far" stronger then a D70...

Rebuttal?
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)
  • jeepsr4ever
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Dec 28, 2002

ah......... These guys are from my neck of the woods. I would like to know what part is stronger than a dana 70
    AMC/Jeep Forum
    Custom machined AMC/4X4/Race Parts...www.Bulltear.com
    ///
    "We offer performance, reliability and customization for your AMC V8"

Comment

• KaiserMan
      I got the Willys....
      • Jun 21, 2005

What the heck are they smoking?
      Thomas Russell
      1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
      1971 Gladiator
      J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
      1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• jode
        JB Welder
        • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by jeepsr4ever:
        I would like to know what part is stronger than a dana 70
        Read the link in the link - it explains what parts they say are stronger:

The Hartford, Wisconsin's 4x4 and Performance store on-line! Tons of great info, products and thousands of incredible photo's. You've NEVER seen anything like this...

[ September 28, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: jode ]
        No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Dec 28, 2002

Doesnt mean much when the shaft area of the pinion is rated only slightly higher in load for the load of the tooth contact. Sure you can make a huge pinion and wide ring gear and then your snapping pinions so to make up for that you add a boss at the end of the pinion that rides on a bearing and this keeps the gears from shearing off and gives the pinion stem a slightly higher load rating........BUT Ford never used any 9's in larger trucks and for good reasons.
          AMC/Jeep Forum
          ///

Comment

• jode
            JB Welder
            • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by jeepsr4ever:
            .......BUT Ford never used any 9's in larger trucks and for good reasons.
            That's cause Ford didn't have the "truhi9" 3rd member

Just playing devil's advocate here - would like to see some good discussion positively refuting the claim.

Comment

• jeepsr4ever
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Dec 28, 2002

I understand that....yeah the true high 9 is the BEST high pinion 3rd member ever made.
              AMC/Jeep Forum
              ///

Comment

• Stuka
                • Jan 21, 2001

The ring and pinion arent everything. The D70 has much larger tubes that are thicker, the shafts are bigger, and as I recall, a high pinion differential used in back is weaker, as it drives on the coast side of the R&P, rather than the drive side. Unless they have reverse cut the gears to make up for this. This is why people never run a high pinion in back. I can see why the did it, the 9" has a VERY low pinion in standard configuation and it gets caught by everything.

[ September 28, 2005, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Stuka ]

Comment

• zmjeeps
                  304 AMC
                  • Jun 14, 2000

If you guys really want a two page chapter and verse on why that whole page is BS, I could give it to you (I work at Dana designing axles). Long story short, he's comparing different ratio gears. Ring gears get thicker/thinner when the ratio changes. Likewise the head of the pinion gets larger and smaller. And the tooth contact ratio? All manufacturers try to get as many teeth in contact as possible, espically when the pinion gets small. That article takes little pieces of knowledge from the industry and bends it to say the 9" is better than everything else, and its just not true.
                  Zack Heisey
                  Z&M Jeeps
                  419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                  www.zmjeeps.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

• KaiserMan
                    I got the Willys....
                    • Jun 21, 2005

That page is definitely a bunch of BS. 9" inch rears are decent little axles, but there no way they are as strong as 70's, even modified.

[ September 28, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: KaiserMan ]
                    Thomas Russell
                    1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                    1971 Gladiator
                    J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                    1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• blt2krl
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by zmjeeps:
                      If you guys really want a two page chapter and verse on why that whole page is BS, I could give it to you (I work at Dana designing axles). Long story short, he's comparing different ratio gears. Ring gears get thicker/thinner when the ratio changes. Likewise the head of the pinion gets larger and smaller. And the tooth contact ratio? All manufacturers try to get as many teeth in contact as possible, espically when the pinion gets small. That article takes little pieces of knowledge from the industry and bends it to say the 9" is better than everything else, and its just not true.
                      I was thinking the same thing.
                      Paul Hartman
                      79 waggoneer
                      AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                      DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                      39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                      www.cbioffroadfab.com
                      WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Stuka
                        • Jan 21, 2001

That had crossed my mind, but I thought who would actually bend words that way? But looking again, it doesnt look that way. One bad thing about the net, ANYBODY can post stuff up, and people believe it. whether it is ring or wrong.

Comment

• gsmikie
                          Auto Trannie God
                          • Feb 18, 2001

go to the hemi cuda board im pretty sure those guys would much rather run a 9er then a 60/70 but then i never had snap-on tell me to go buy mac tools cause they were better either seems what im selling is always better than what im not selling
                          I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

• Stuka
                            • Jan 21, 2001

A 9 inch is much prefered for a muscle car for quite a few reasons. A: Its a semi-full float, so they can use normal wheels with a normal lug patern. B: They dont have to run big tires in back to clear the big pumpkin of the 60/70. C: The 9" weighs WAY less. D: Its easy to swap in and out gears for different runs.

The 9" is the perfect axle for most muscle cars. Its NOT the perfect choice for offroad. A full float axle will almost always be stronger than a similar sized semi-full float.

Comment

• gsmikie
                              Auto Trannie God
                              • Feb 18, 2001

if it would only hold up to the 426
                              I\'ve seen gsmikie\'s video for the TH400 and thought it was just awful.watching a guy tear down a greasy pile of metal in a junkyard. it dosent have to be surrounded by water to be an island

Comment

Working...
                              X