International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 03-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Rear brake hardline.....need to remove fuel tank?

Hey there everybody.

My hard line to the back exploded on the way to the office yesterday. I ordered the stainless steal kit from bj's offroad and I'm waiting anxiously. I started removing the old line and I disconnected the back from the soft line at the crossmember and disconnected the other side from the proportioning valve and the brackets that hold the hardline up until the gas tank.

Do I need to remove the fuel tank to get to any more retaining brackets for the line? I really would like to avoid that mess and have even considered running a new line that avoids the tank.

If anyone has install/removal notes I would really apreciate them. Thanks!

-Nick
Old 03-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

I just used standard line from the part store, but I've done it twice now without removing the tank. When the line failed on my '88, I pulled the one I made for the '89 and moved it over.

I was able to snake it in into approximately the original location. I don't remember the exact details - it was not easy, but it was a lot easier than removing the tank. I used at least two main pieces of line spliced together. I believe I fed the rear piece in from along the driver's side frame rail after putting a rubber cap over the end to protect it. And of course you should get a decent tubing bender from the parts store.

Funny, I just did one on my Ranger pick-up today!

Last edited by GWChris : 03-21-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 AM
Shade Tree Shaman

the last 2 RBLs Ive done, I ran the line on the outside of the frame rail.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Master Mechanic

I put in a new line to the rear a couple of months ago and left the tank in place. I did use 2 pieces though. I was able to reach all of the brackets that held it in place.

edit: I did this in my 79 which has a different tank and skidplate from you. Although I still think you can do it.

79 cherokee chief
2" Body Lift
33"X12.5"

79 Wagoneer limited
Restored

78,79, 82, 87 all rolled up into one.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Yes, your rear brake line runs inside the C channel of your frame rail. Just what you wanted to hear, right?

Dropping the tank isn't so bad, as long as it's reasonably EMPTY. Otherwise, it's REALLY HEAVY.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:55 PM

OK, maybe I'll give it a shot by making my own and try through the C frame. If not...outside of the frame rail! I've run my fuel lines there anyways. How many attachments are there for the brake line behind the tank? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1224
OK, maybe I'll give it a shot by making my own and try through the C frame. If not...outside of the frame rail! I've run my fuel lines there anyways. How many attachments are there for the brake line behind the tank? Thanks for the help guys.

Several. They're designed to hold the line tight to prevent abrasion (and eventual failure) from vibration.

I'd drop the tank and do it right since you took the effort to order new lines from BJ's.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.