• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by bkilby
    There are set screws. Go back to that link and click on "Questions and Answers". They mention a part number to the mirror you can search for too.

OK thanks, Sorry I didn't even notice the questions tab the first time.

Comment

• Strode
      1st Chair, Cowbell
      • Nov 08, 2011

Looking great. Looking forward to see what you have planned for the dash!
      Brad
      (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Still working on it when I have time. Got the radio in the other day, waiting for other parts before I cut the panel proper. This is just a scrap piece that I used to check fit.

Trying to find a dash mount dual USB with a 1 foot cable. Haven't found one yet! What a PIA! This is a 3 foot that is way too long.

1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
          350 Buick
          • Jul 09, 2009

COOL!
          You did get that insane deck for the Chero!

In Burbank not to far from you is Pacific Radio (PACRAD). They sell all kinds of proaudio, broadcast stuff.
          Look for a Neutrik "D" serries USB panel mount connector. Neutrik also has covers for the connectors so dirt and road debris wont get in there.

Part #
          Neutrik NAUSB-W-B Reversible USB Panel Mount Gender Changer (Black)

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• bkilby
            350 Buick
            • Jan 10, 2016

Cool. I know right where they are. I'll go check them out and see what they have. I haven't been there since they moved.

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

More dash parts are showing up. Finally! Speedhut makes some nice gauges!

Got some Vintage Air stuff in too. They said there wasn't a connector pigtail for their switches. Well, I bought them off Ebay today after seeing who made their switch. Btw, 1985 AMC Eagle is the application I found out.

If my research is correct, this should be the right pigtail.

Last edited by bkilby; 03-08-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                Administrator
                • Oct 31, 2016

Holy crap, Brad! Those gauges are PERFECT for your rig! The green is almost a perfect match!
                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks! Funny thing is, I was on Speedhuts website trying to build out the gauges and was farting around with the different designs they had when the wife (Lori) walked by. She said she LOVED the palms. So, I figured I'm spending nearly $900, I better get something she likes too. Ok, I like palm trees too. These remind me of the 3 in my back yard. And the 2 in my front yard. Lol! And of course, they gotta be green.

Can't wait to really get started. I'm still a week away from getting everything but I'm gonna try to go in tomorrow to start laying more stuff out so I can figure out how the gauges are getting mounted. Lots of idea, just not enough time during the week to mess with it.

Comment

• toddthewelder
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 30, 2010

I like what you are doing with the dash, those new gauges look sweet too.
                    80 cj 5
                    87 GW
                    Another 87 GW
                    88 GW
                    99 Wrangler
                    07 Dodge 3500
                    67 Chevy SWB
                    2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• bkilby
                      350 Buick
                      • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks Todd! It's a bit of work but should be nice when it's done.

I went to the shop today after running errands. One of the errands was to grab the AC unit from the J truck at the junk yard where this tan dash came from. I'm going to see if I can add more ducting to bring 4 vents closer to the top of the dash instead of the knee freezers. Heck, I might keep them too if air volume is there. Working on a bench is soooo much easier than laying on your back under the dash. If I can route the ducting off the top of the AC unit and still get good volume, I'll cut the holes and add vents. If the volume is too low, I might just cap off the knee vents. Dunno yet.

Besides that , I started on the CAD drawing for the gauges. It's not done and not perfect but I have plenty of scrap steel so I went to work on it. I had to space the gauges a littler further apart so the little nipples on the nuts ( ! ) don't collide. Also, I wanted to get the basic layout and decide if I'm going to cut up the ugly plastic bezel or just try to remake one from sheet metal.

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

Back to work on the dash today. I made a couple of changes as usual. I decided to split the panel in 3 sections. I cut a bunch of samples from 18 gauge to check fitment, move the holes etc but cut the final panels out of 12 gauge. Then I went to toss a couple of items in to take these pics and found out I moved the USB port to far to the right. It hits the frame the panels are getting mounted to. Doh! Oh well, I'll cut another one Monday.

The frame got welded in too today. Now the fun part. Marking and drilling the holes for the mounting screws. The frame will get rivnuts.

Oh yeah, I added AC vents too.

Last edited by bkilby; 03-16-2019, 04:02 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

So as I get into work the following Monday after my last post, I realize in my rush on Saturday that I forgot to allow room for the transmission temp gauge. Lol. I was going to have to re-cut the right plate anyhow as the hole for the USB port was too close to the right. Then I got to looking closer at the AC vents and thought I might have to move them as well but the AC vents weren't showing up until Thursday. So, I just put everything on hold (again) until the vents showed up. Well I was right, they needed to be moved slightly so they aren't hitting the frame.

I went in yesterday for a bit to redo the plates, again. This is what I came up with. Everything clears, this is the last time I'm cutting them. Lol.
                          I also changed my mind on the rivnuts and I'm going to use PEM nuts. I've started the holes, just need time this week to drill the frame and press the nuts in place. What a bunch of wasted time just to get to this point. Lol.

Last edited by bkilby; 03-24-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

I spent the past few weeks working on my Challenger, getting ready for a road trip, but did find time today to work on the gauge cluster. Let me tell you, it wasn't fun. Lol. It's almost done, just need to do some final tweaking and drill the mounting holes. It turned out good except the part where the welder tried to burn through. I might be able to weld but I'm sure not a weldor.

The steel used is approx 18 gauge, 2 pieces formed and welded together. Getting the proper radius on both upper corners wasn't too bad after experimenting with scrap pieces. It was the final fit and finish that takes work. The dash frame had to be massaged in a few places to make it more user friendly. A little hammering here, a little cutting there.....

Comment

• toddthewelder
                              258 I6
                              • Dec 30, 2010

It's looking sweet! don't be surprised if one somewhere in Southern Oklahoma ends up looking a bit like yours
                              80 cj 5
                              87 GW
                              Another 87 GW
                              88 GW
                              99 Wrangler
                              07 Dodge 3500
                              67 Chevy SWB
                              2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks Todd. Go for it. A little modernization on the dash is a good thing I think.

So, the top speaker area.....keep it or cut it out and put a tray in there? Again, there won't be a dash pad so it'll be exposed.

Comment

Working...
                                X