• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • katelynrose269
    232 I6
    • Dec 06, 2010

Rocker Arm Help

So last night my engine started making a ticking noise that got more rapid as you accelerated. I figure one of the rocker arms is loose. Anyone have a DIY to tighten it? How to actually take the valve cover off? I figure its pretty basic, but I'm not quite familliar with the 360 v8s.

Its a 1979 Wagoneer with a 5.9L 360 V8.
    "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can loose"
    '79 Wagoneer, 5.9L 8 Cyl, AMC 360, TH400 tranny
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

'79 was non adjustable valvetrain from the factory, so something is broken or worn out.

oljeep.com has TSM (technical service manual) online.
    Do some reading in the engine section.

Could be a broken rocker arm bridge, could be a bent pushrod, could be a bad lifter, and the list goes on.
    Might be best to find someone in your locale to help you dig in and find the problem.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

How to remove the valve cover?

A few bolts and it pops off. It's harder to get at than it is to remove.

Torque spec is something like 19 ft-lbs. Just make sure the bridges don't get bent when torquing the bolt down.

But if it's just a ticking and you only hear it on acceleration, it sounds more like an exhaust leak than a valve issue.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
        360 AMC
        • Jun 16, 2010

Could be lifters, fairly common. Grab yourself a cheap mechanics stethoscope and start listening around to narrow it down.

Pulling the valve cover, as said above, is easy as removing 4 or 6 bolts.

You could go the route im taking to cure my knocks/rattles/ticks and just drop in a new engine, haha.
        Originally posted by FSJunkie
        Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
        The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
        1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• katelynrose269
          232 I6
          • Dec 06, 2010

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
          Could be lifters, fairly common. Grab yourself a cheap mechanics stethoscope and start listening around to narrow it down.

Pulling the valve cover, as said above, is easy as removing 4 or 6 bolts.

You could go the route im taking to cure my knocks/rattles/ticks and just drop in a new engine, haha.
          Might just need to do that. Ah, but money is an issue. A somewhat big one. And I need a dd.

And thank you everyone else. If I find out what it is, I'll tell yah.
          "Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can loose"

Comment

• andy d
            Shade Tree Shaman
            • May 06, 2000

Check the dipstick, before tearing things apart. A qt low or more will make the lifters tick.
            \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Am4wag
              327 Rambler
              • Oct 04, 2004

Check for exhaust leak before pulling the valve cover.Sounds exactly like top end ticking.
              88GW,360,3 angled valves,K8600,1406,TFI,MSD,727,<br />Hurst,NP229.D44\'s,3:31\'s,BJ\'s 4in.,31in.Generals,ProComp alloys.S-10 box,"Swissed" rockers"

Comment

• Walt
                350 Buick
                • Feb 24, 2003

Originally posted by Am4wag
                Check for exhaust leak before pulling the valve cover.Sounds exactly like top end ticking.
                x2. It's amazing how much blown exhaust manifold gasket can sound like a metallic tapping. If it gets louder under load and quiet when you back off, then it's likely the exhaust. Once the manifold gets warped, they LOVE to spit out gaskets...
                90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• katelynrose269
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 06, 2010

Originally posted by Walt
                  x2. It's amazing how much blown exhaust manifold gasket can sound like a metallic tapping. If it gets louder under load and quiet when you back off, then it's likely the exhaust. Once the manifold gets warped, they LOVE to spit out gaskets...
                  That actually might be it. I havent figured it out yet. I did an oil change to see if that helped. It didn't. BUT it did solve another problem. Ha.

I have a lot of exhaust problems, which is hopefully getting fixed this week. So wish me luck on that one.

Comment

• manimal
                    327 Rambler
                    • Oct 18, 2008

Try a better grade of fuel if you are running 87,try 91. If the noise goes awya you are having a pre-detonation problem. I have the same problem when I run cheap gas. Try it and post the results.
                    --------------------------------
                    -Lance

Originally posted by REDONE
                    Bring some wet-naps. I'm gonna lick everything you butt doesn't touch!!!!
                    Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                    Heck Yeah, I am an equal opportunity offender today and think we should all get bent.

Comment

• katelynrose269
                      232 I6
                      • Dec 06, 2010

Originally posted by manimal
                      Try a better grade of fuel if you are running 87,try 91. If the noise goes awya you are having a pre-detonation problem. I have the same problem when I run cheap gas. Try it and post the results.
                      Didn't help. It got quieter when I did my oil change and put the Lucas Oil Stabalizer in it, but it didn't fully go away.

Comment

• shakari
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jul 17, 2004

Originally posted by Am4wag
                        I've just had EXACTLY the same thing and was convinced I was running the cam..... JUST before I ordered a new one, my buddy suggested an exhaust leak....

I couldn't see, hear or feel any problems and as a last check took a piece of hosepipe, stuck one end in my ear and the other on various parts of the manifold and sure enough the manifold gasket is blowing.

I'm now in the throes of ordering a new set from BJs.

Might be worth you checking for the same thing.
                        Steve Robinson AKA Shakari

Comment

Working...
                        X