• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fireman91186
    350 Buick
    • Aug 26, 2008

Rear bumper help

Now that I finished my front bumper I am going to start on my rear bumper next and am out of ideas besides the plain flat looking bumper. I want it to look as clean as my front and not to out of place. I was also thinking of making it an air tank as well. Have any of you done this and is it worth it.
    79 cherokee W/T 360 T-18 trans dana 20 transfercase with custom 1.5 spring hangers in front 4" springs in rear 33" swampers
    78 cherokee chief W/T stock running but barely.
    2002 stock chevy 4x4 1500 hd
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

How about a safari style rear?

Tube bumper, jerry can holder, cooler basket, and swing out tire carrier...

Comment

• fireman91186
      350 Buick
      • Aug 26, 2008

I thought about that but I don't know if I want something that big or not?
      79 cherokee W/T 360 T-18 trans dana 20 transfercase with custom 1.5 spring hangers in front 4" springs in rear 33" swampers

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

Yeah, I dont..

Thats why I sold it...

Of course, I still havent found a reasonable way to ship it..

Comment

here's mine:

would have worked a lot better if i'd have had the bumper on before i smashed the crap out of the rockers tho....

Al
          79 Cherokee Chief "Kronk" - TBI350/SM465/NP205
          99 Dodge 2500 4x4 - Cummins 24v
          07 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Big turbo, 340whp

Comment

• Dmntxn77
            Hey watch this...
            • Nov 19, 2004

Did you build that Al??
            Last edited by Dmntxn77; 11-14-2008, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• fireman91186
              350 Buick
              • Aug 26, 2008

I like that but I do not have a tube bender. The other problem is P/O put on an after market gas tank that hangs down below the body and the rear bumper that is on there now. He put on a hitch which hangs down even lower then that. So the hitch has to go and some sort of receiver put into the bumper. And I really need to figure how to put in a skid plate for that stupid gas tank thats where the spare used to go. And some how if it is worth it I would like to make it an air tank but still undecided on that.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                Hey watch this...
                • Nov 19, 2004

You mean you have a super sweet set-up like this bad boy??

Mines comming off soon, along with both gas tanks

Comment

• fireman91186
                  350 Buick
                  • Aug 26, 2008

Something like that actually. What was the P/O thinking when he did that?
                  I do not plan on really towing with it but I do have quads and maybe locally I would do so. I would rather have it there then not but not hanging so low I drag on speed bumps.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                    Hey watch this...
                    • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by fireman91186
                    Something like that actually. What was the P/O thinking when he did that?

I havent a clue!!

I am yanking it all... I plan to buld a custom bumper with a receiver on it. However, the receiver will be IN the bumper, and the bottom of the bumper will not hang much below my frame rails.

I will just carry a long drop hitch for any towing. I wont ever tow anything bigger than a m-101 trailer (that I dont have yet) anyway...

Comment

• fireman91186
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 26, 2008

Ya that is along the same plan I had. And just make a skid plate for the gas tank. But more then likely if I do the receiver the bumper I will do away with the air tank idea.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                        Hey watch this...
                        • Nov 19, 2004

You can still make the bumper an air tank with a receiver hitch in it. It just gives you a few more welds that you have to take time on.

Just be sure to do the math to find out what volume of air you can fit in the bumper before you take the time to make it into a tank.

Comment

• fireman91186
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 26, 2008

Ya I still have to do that just to see if it is even worth it. But first I must come up with the final design then I will decide to make it am air tank or not. I was going to do the front bumper that way but it seemed more since to do the rear since there will be no winch so that should make it easier.

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                            Hey watch this...
                            • Nov 19, 2004

Its probalby not much help, but this is a quick drawling that I made a while back when I was trying to figure out a good way to support a heavy spare.

I have had a few better ideas since, but I havent put them to paper yet. Since, I have decided to put the receiver higher, and mount the spare at an angle.

Comment

• fireman91186
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 26, 2008

That looks ok but would the spare swing out. It looks like thats what the arm is in the drawing. The only thing i was thinking about is to have is go around the corners to also protect the rear quarters a little and give it a more stock look. And hey the more complicated the better right?

Comment

Working...
                              X