• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bradleylindseth
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 05, 2015

Doors Rattling 1981 Wagoneer.

When driving I get quite a bit of rattle from inside the doors. Does anyone know of any specific fixes or causes before I start going through them?
    www.bradleylindseth.com
    1981 Wagoneer Restomod Build
  • backroadin'
    350 Buick
    • Aug 11, 2004

Hows the window channel felt? Is the front channel post loose when you try to wiggle it? Are the windows loose in the channel? Are the wiper felts loose?
    Taking off the door panel isn't too hard, and then you can double check the tightness of bolts/screws and stuff and make sure nothing is actually rattling around in the bottom of the doors.
    If it's a general door rattling sound, it could be that the striker / latch assy. needs to be adjusted, but you'd probably also notice a loose fit when you open and close the door.
    If it was me, I'd start with looking behind the door panel for anything obvious. Wiggle everything you can get a hold of.
    1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

Comment

• Bradleylindseth
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 05, 2015

Originally posted by backroadin'
      Hows the window channel felt? Is the front channel post loose when you try to wiggle it? Are the windows loose in the channel? Are the wiper felts loose?
      Taking off the door panel isn't too hard, and then you can double check the tightness of bolts/screws and stuff and make sure nothing is actually rattling around in the bottom of the doors.
      If it's a general door rattling sound, it could be that the striker / latch assy. needs to be adjusted, but you'd probably also notice a loose fit when you open and close the door.
      If it was me, I'd start with looking behind the door panel for anything obvious. Wiggle everything you can get a hold of.
      Doors have new seals and latch tight. Windows are tight when rolled up. It the same noise when they are up or down. I'm thinking maybe latch assembly stuff on the inner part of the door. I'm also going to try the Door lock spring removal that is on a sticky thread her as the door lock actuators don't pop or down as the should.
      www.bradleylindseth.com

Comment

• Brynjminjones
        258 I6
        • Jun 11, 2017

I have the same problem, and it was down to several different things.

First of all, take the panel of and cable tie all the wires in there. Mine were all flapping about and rattling horribly.
        Also check that all the bolts in there are tight.

I'd also look at the window wipes at the base of the glass. Mine were loose and made a horrible noise. Taking them out and bending the clips a little fixed that.

I also found that the plastic moisture barrier under the door panel can buzz. Make sure it's stuck to the door well (also prevents water leaks!).

That sorted most of the door rattles in mine.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Bradleylindseth
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 05, 2015

Originally posted by Brynjminjones
          I have the same problem, and it was down to several different things.

First of all, take the panel of and cable tie all the wires in there. Mine were all flapping about and rattling horribly.
          Also check that all the bolts in there are tight.

I'd also look at the window wipes at the base of the glass. Mine were loose and made a horrible noise. Taking them out and bending the clips a little fixed that.

I also found that the plastic moisture barrier under the door panel can buzz. Make sure it's stuck to the door well (also prevents water leaks!).

That sorted most of the door rattles in mine.
          Great thank you, I will report back once I get to it this weekend!
          www.bradleylindseth.com

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

dried up and shrunk window channel, the vertical ones, let the glass rattle in the door channels
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

Working...
            X