• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 83 chif
    327 Rambler
    • Sep 01, 2005

FSJ clutch master cylinder placement

Okay, I was about to start dilling away at my fire wall to mount my clutch master cylinder, but I had trouble deciding where I should place it. It is a GM master cylinder from a full size K5 blazer, which master cylinder did the FSJ's use? should i try and find one of them and rebuild it, or should I just drill holes up for the GM one? Could anyone give me some advice, or better yet, a photo of where the master cylinder is mounted in relation to the clutch pedal? It was an auto and I'm putting in a manual trans. I already installed the stock FSJ clutch pedal assembly, just not the master cylinder. thanks....

- doug
    - Doug

MY HEEP:
    daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K

FSJs never used hydraulic clutches (nothing modern anyway...WAAAAY back when there was something I think). As far as placement...I would check out the chebby it came from and try to make it similar. It's got to go near the clutch pedal, obviously. I really want to run a hydraulic setup as well, just haven't been able to get to that project yet. I'm betting hydroboost brakes would help a lot with placement. I know it opens up TONS of space right there.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• JeepinPete
      304 AMC
      • Dec 09, 2003

Doug, does it look like this? If so, you will have a hard time fitting it in between the firewall to dash bracket and the bulkhead wiring connector.

Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• 83 chif
        327 Rambler
        • Sep 01, 2005

yup

oh yea, i should have known that FSJ's would have a mechanical clutch set up....

hey Pete, i knew i could count on you to chime in....it does look like that, not exact, but same basic shape. i put in the pedals and then got an idea of where it should be, then I drilled a small hole large enough for the plunger to fit through, but not the large rubber boot at its base, just so I can't get an idea of where to go from there. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get the clutch master cylinder mounted quite high enough because of the brake booster, so I was thinking that maybe the FSJ clutch cylinders would be a different design, but apparently there aren't any.

how did you set yours up?

thank you guys....
        - Doug

MY HEEP:
        daily driver 83' Chero Cheif WT, 3" lift, 6.2L diesel, Getrag 5-speed, NP241, 33" TSLs (scratch that, i sold them to get money to finish the diesel swap), a Superwinch 9K

Comment

• JeepinPete
          304 AMC
          • Dec 09, 2003

One word, hydraboost Seriously, you will have a hard time fitting it in with the stock booster. You are going to want to do this anyway, since your diesel isn't going to make any vacuum. Elliot can set you up for less than $100...

I ended up using a corvette clutch master cylinder which I got new off of ebay for $45. The centerline of the cylinder is 1" above the centerline of the lowest brake pedal bracket to firewall bolt. The boss that goes through the firewall is up against the brake pedal bracket. The rubber boot will not fit. Take a look HERE, post 13 and below...
          Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
          Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
          Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• 83 chif
            327 Rambler
            • Sep 01, 2005

hydroboost

Hydroboost doesn't seem like a bad idea. My 6.2L came with the hydroboost power steering pump and most of the lines, so I've got that part taken care of. I'll read up on all the posts and hopefully they will answer all my questions.

thanks again....
            - Doug

MY HEEP:

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

You can find some info here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=69468
              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Working...
              X