• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Fuel pump recomendations.

I'm sick of this stupid noisy frame mounted fuel pump I have and have decided I'm going to replace it.

I'm looking for any recommendations from you guys who run fuel injection. It needs to be capable of 43-52 PSI. I'm capable of running either an on frame or in tank pump but I need one that won't make a ton of noise like the one I have. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were reasonably priced either.

So what kind of recommendations do you guys have?
    '72 J4500
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

never experienced one myself...
    how is it mounted?
    rubber isolators? used on bolts and bracket around pump?

the one i used on my 90 was for 90's ford mpfi engines and very quiet.
    was mounted on frame right under driver seat.
    very slight whine/hum but any road noise or radio and you'd never hear a thing
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Crankyolman
      350 Buick
      • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by babywag
      never experienced one myself...
      how is it mounted?
      rubber isolators? used on bolts and bracket around pump?

the one i used on my 90 was for 90's ford mpfi engines and very quiet.
      was mounted on frame right under driver seat.
      very slight whine/hum but any road noise or radio and you'd never hear a thing

Yes, it's mounted in a bracket that has rubber around the pump and has rubber isolators. I've never been happy with how noisy this pump is but after driving it out to my son's place and back the other day it began this horrible high pitched whine that drives me crazy and embarrasses me because it sounds so terrible.

I have next week off and will be low on gas by then so figured it might be a good time to switch back to a tank mounted pump...or not...

I've been looking at Walbro pumps, thinking maybe they won't have such issues and think I've settled on either the frame mounted GSL394 ( https://walbrofuelpumps.com/walbro-g...fuel-pump.html )
      or the tank mounted GSS350G3 ( https://walbrofuelpumps.com/ti-autom...universal.html ) unless someone has some better recommendation.

I was actually considering mounting a Y connection in the tank with a check valve that would allow me to switch to a frame mounted pump in the event of another pump failure without having to remove the pump but it's just a thought. My luck the check valve would fail open causing loss of pressure and requiring me to drop the tank yo fix it.
      '72 J4500

Comment

• Heep-J4000
        350 Buick
        • Feb 09, 2014

Walbro makes fuel pumps to that work with a pressure sensor ,so it doesn't run al the time but only when needed.
        Maybe that could be a option so you don't have the running noise all the time and saves on electricity and wear of the pump.
        Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
        73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
        80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
        70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
        85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
        83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

And you better go for in line pump and not for a in tank pump.
          What you already mentioned when it gives trouble a in line is easy access.
          Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
          73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
          80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
          70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
          85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
          83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Crankyolman
            350 Buick
            • Sep 27, 2017

I made the decision last night to go back to in tank. I like how quiet the in tank pump was and hopefully the walbro pump will last longer than the previous pumps.
            '72 J4500

Comment

Working...
            X