• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Harrinad
    232 I6
    • Jan 22, 2019

What gauges for a diesel swap?

Hello, does anybody have some tips for what the critical gauges might be for a 4bt swap? I thought of a bunch of gauges but dont really want the car to feel like a cockpit when Im done.
    Oil pressure
    Tach
    Fuel level
    Boost pressure
    Hour meter (not sure how to make the odometer work)
    Water temp
    Exhaust temp
    Tranny temp
    Voltage
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I added Fuel Pr, Manifold Pr and Ex Temp on the A-pillar my Dodge.

Where's the lift pump on a 4BT?

I'm kinda doing the cockpit thing on my project:
    Manifold Pr
    Tach
    Exh T
    Oil Pr
    Oil T
    Water T
    Fuel Pr
    Fuel Level
    Amps
    Volts
    Got a spare hole so maybe Air Pr
    Last edited by SJTD; 03-22-2021, 04:13 PM.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Tigger4X
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 16, 2001

I've been looking to do the same on my '79 J20. I haven't been able to figure out which A-pillar mount fits in an FSJ, but I remembered the dash panel overlay from BJs Off Road https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Gauge-Pan...eft_p_470.html and went looking for gauge options. Unfortunately for me I couldn't find any where they were all mechanical instead of a mix or all electric; just a quirk/preference. What I did find was a large speedo/tach combo, a large 4 gauge combo which left the 4 spots left to fill if I use the BJs overlay, although I would prefer larger gauges for the more important items I want to stand out/be easily visible. I did consider trying to make a dashpod of sorts to mount 2 1/16" gauges on top of the dash, but found this universal mount for 3 gauges. Something like this would bring those diesel specific gauges up into a more easily seen place. I'd like to find one that can have four though. Has anyone found other options?

Sorry for the ramble. Back to which gauges are critical. The line up of what I am considering is . . .

Speedo
      Tach

Volts
      Fuel level
      Coolant temp
      Oil pressure

Turbo pressure(boost) & temp(pyro)
      Fuel pressure
      Oil temp (?)

Having a manual trans I'm not sure if trans temp is a concern, or if it could be readily added on a T-18?
      Originally posted by will e
      Keep in mind. Getting old is easy. Being old is hard.
      Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Forgot Manifold Pr in my list so added it.

I've got a stick too so not bothering with Temp but seems like you could weld a port into the PTO cover if you wanted it.

How about Hyd Pr if you have hydo boost brakes or Vacuum if you have vac assist.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Harrinad
          232 I6
          • Jan 22, 2019

Thanks for the inputs, I wasnt actually trying to brainstorm more gauges to add, I was trying to narrow the list to whats most important. At this point your gauges are going to cost more than the engine!

Comment

• Tigger4X
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by SJTD
            Forgot Manifold Pr in my list so added it.

I've got a stick too so not bothering with Temp but seems like you could weld a port into the PTO cover if you wanted it.

How about Hyd Pr if you have hydo boost brakes or Vacuum if you have vac assist.

Manifold pressure? <brainfade> Purpose?

I hadn't thought of using the PTO cover. Excellent idea! Thanks

I don't have hydroboost as of yet, but that might be an add I'll consider when I do. Vac assist? <insertmorebrainfadehere>

Comment

• Tigger4X
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by Harrinad
              Thanks for the inputs, I wasnt actually trying to brainstorm more gauges to add, I was trying to narrow the list to whats most important. At this point your gauges are going to cost more than the engine!

I think what we are listing is what we think are necessary. Apologies if you thought we hijacked your thread. Have you checked 4BTswaps yet? Or any other diesel forum? I also belong to CumminsForums which has been helpful.

And I agree with you on cost. I had no idea how much they cost until I started researching for my diesel project. I have considered used gauges, but haven't found what I'd like either size wise or quality wise.

Comment

• scout4bta
                258 I6
                • Apr 26, 2018

The 2 important gauges for a Diesel are the EGT and Boost.
                You need to mount the probe for the EGT just before the turbo and centered if you can.
                The boost port can be placed at the turbo or all the way around to the intake. I prefer next to the intake. Incase you get a leak it will show on the gauge, mounted at the turbo not so much.
                1989 GW/91.5 Dodge W250 CTD flatbed/ 06 Ford Crown Vic Police Intercepter/05 Jeep Liberty Diesel.

Comment

• devildog80
                  327 Rambler
                  • Apr 13, 2022

Bumping this thread back to life

Just brought home a 1984 Grand Wagoneer, and like the idea of the A pillar gauge set, but asking if there is a mod for the FSJ pillar yet?

Mine will not be a diesel conversion, but want some accessory gauges for transmission temp, vacuum draw, possible (2) axle temp gauges, and really like the A pillar look.

Anybody found something like this yet, or do I find someone with a 3D printer to make one for me?
                  '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Comment

• DieselSJ
                    304 AMC
                    • May 19, 2003

I used one of these pods in my Waggy. I have boost, pyro and oil pressure in there. Under dash I have coolant temp, trans temp and oil temp. Plus all my stock gauges work.

GlowShift Universal Black Triple Dash Gauge Pods with a Dome Lip Can Be Installed to Virtually Any Car or Truck’s Dashboard and Hold (3) 2-1/16” Gauges.
                    -87 Grand, 6.5L diesel, MHI TE06H turbo, Water/air intercooler, Art Carr 700R4, CS-130, hydroboost. 21/24mpg, dead 229 [Custom 242 on the way]
                    -99 XJ Limited.
                    -Jeepspeed 1717 -Built 4.0, FAST EFI, Rubicon Express, Bilstein, Rigid Industries, 4 Wheel Parts, G2 Axle, Currie Enterprises
                    -Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• devildog80
                      327 Rambler
                      • Apr 13, 2022

Thanks, but looking for A pillar mount.

I did Google search, and looks like most pillar mounts are universal, with ability to customize with a heat gun to fit.

Thought I would ask to see if one brand is perhaps preferred over another, as they really seem to be very similar, and can even get in TAN color to match my interior.

Also need to redo my complete head liner, and thinking of adding a console up there when I do. One with a compass and clock would be a nice addition.
                      '81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift

Comment

• Heep-J4000
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 09, 2014

Never found a A pillar gauge pod for the full size jeeps.
                        The pillars on the jeep are small and could be a problem with going in and out of the truck with the gauges sticking out to much.

For my 73' j4000 12 valve Cummins conversion I'm going with speedometer
                        Oil pressure
                        Coolant temp
                        Fuel level
                        Voltage

And a diesel rpm gauge on the steering column.
                        Thinking about a egt ,boost and fuel pressure gauge set from glowshift.
                        Probably making a custom pod that mounts on the underside of the dash near the shift stick.

And probably also putting the hour gauge back on somewhere!
                        Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
                        73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
                        80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
                        70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
                        85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
                        83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• devildog80
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 13, 2022

Ok, so if I can get one figured out, might be interesting.

Here is one I was thinking of trying, as the video's online show fitting these with a heat gun for mold-to-fit the pillar. Runs about $65 for this one in TAN, but some are only $20.

Google search shows these for near any make or model cars and trucks from mid '90's to present. Sure there is one that would work.

Will be awhile, but will post results when done, as I think I will give it a shot

41zRwsv3SnL._AC_SL1000_ by Scott Weckerly, on Flickr

Comment

• SJTD
                            304 AMC
                            • Apr 26, 2012

Originally posted by Tigger4X
                            Manifold pressure? <brainfade> Purpose?

I hadn't thought of using the PTO cover. Excellent idea! Thanks

I don't have hydroboost as of yet, but that might be an add I'll consider when I do. Vac assist? <insertmorebrainfadehere>
                            I see I never elucidated.

Manifold pressure would be "boost".

Vac assist would be your typical power brakes.
                            Sic friatur crustulum

Comment

• Tigger4X
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Nov 16, 2001

Originally posted by devildog80
                              Ok, so if I can get one figured out, might be interesting.

. . .

Will be awhile, but will post results when done, as I think I will give it a shot

I for one would like to know how this turns out!

Comment

Working...
                              X