• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robselina
    304 AMC
    • Feb 26, 2003

rear QP mod conclusion

A while back I cut off my rear quarter pannels and welded in some 3/16" steel to cover up the hole. I was always hitting these things and they where getting pretty ragged.
    Anyway, after cutting them I hadn't had any real problems. The additional clearance pretty much made the 3/16" plate rather unecessary. I never hit anythign hard with them until last weekend. I came down full force on the drivers side skid comming off a rock ledge. The whole back end of the vehicle was resting on this skid. It left a good scrape mark on the skid but I had no body deformation, which is somethign I had been worried about. Anyway, just thought I'd pass on the info since it's one of those things that's worked out rather well for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

For those of you who have no idea what the heck I'm talking about, here's a pic of the skids:

[ October 28, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: rselina ]
    Rob
  • rockjeep44
    The Advisor
    • Oct 15, 2001

That's pretty bling. I did something similiar with some bars that attatched to my rear bumper and wrapped around. They were great rock protectors and supported the weight of the vehicle like you said. Nice work.
    -Andrew
    Buggy Buildup

Originally posted by welchct
    There are about 5 trails that actualy have section that are upwards of 85* and climb 40-50 feet at this deg.
    "The combination of fine split tail and fine whiskey will make any man lose focus." -FSJeeper

Comment

• blt2krl
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Apr 03, 2001

Welcome to the club.
      Paul Hartman
      79 waggoneer
      AMC360/TH-400/203/205
      DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
      39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
      www.cbioffroadfab.com
      WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• Will Morris
        350 Buick
        • Nov 24, 2002

So were those skids welded to the body only, or were they somehow tied into the frame? Am I correct in understanding that you just cut your 1/4 panels, then welded a 3/16" plate to the bottom, then beat the hell out of them and they survived with no body deformation? If so, I know what one of my first mods when I get home will be.

Will
        '78 Cherokee NT in GA
        '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

• robselina
          304 AMC
          • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by Will Morris:
          Am I correct in understanding that you just cut your 1/4 panels, then welded a 3/16" plate to the bottom, then beat the hell out of them and they survived with no body deformation?
          Damn straight!
          Rob

Comment

• Will Morris
            350 Buick
            • Nov 24, 2002

Originally posted by rselina:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Will Morris:
            Am I correct in understanding that you just cut your 1/4 panels, then welded a 3/16" plate to the bottom, then beat the hell out of them and they survived with no body deformation?
            Damn straight! </font>[/QUOTE]Well then, guess I know what I'm doing over Christmas break, among other things.

Will
            '78 Cherokee NT in GA
            '79 J10 Golden Eagle in UT

Comment

• Merc69
              304 AMC
              • Sep 03, 2002

I was thinking about what to do in that area. Thanks for the pic and the idea...Another thing stolen from this board.

Thanks.

PS. Got any more pics?
              Merc69/ Bruce AKA G.O.D. (Grumpy Old Dude)
              "PsyOp" 87 Grand Wagoneer, 360, Powered by Propane, NP-208 t-case, Dana 60 front 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker, Corp 14 bolt 4.56 gears-Detroit Locker. Alcan Springs up front, Chevy 63", Hydraulic Steering

Under Construction: 4 link rear suspension, Klune-v and Ford 205 transfer case

Comment

• youngjeeper
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jan 24, 2003

ah thanks man! been looking for a good way to get rid of those holes!
                88' GW Stock & Mint
                77' CJ-7
                http://gfsj.org/forums
                Choptop/Crew Cab Build-up
                http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=93389

Comment

• scotty
                  • Jun 12, 2000

i mainly clicked on this one cause i couldnt figure out what you meant by "QP"

nice work,tho. id do somethin like that if i still had any of my quarters
                  scotty
                  85 grand wagoneer
                  258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
                  38" TSL SXs
                  chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• bvibert
                    304 AMC
                    • Aug 12, 2002

Originally posted by scotty:
                    i mainly clicked on this one cause i couldnt figure out what you meant by "QP"
                    At least I wasn't the only one, I feel better now [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cool looking mod! Glad to hear it works good I would have thought the body would buckle...

[ October 30, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: bvibert ]
                    Brian
                    78 Cherokee S, 360, TH400/QT, 61K orig miles

Comment

• robselina
                      304 AMC
                      • Feb 26, 2003

Thanks guys!

Merc - I'll try to take a couple more pictures of the area this weekend for ya.

As for QP, I could have sworn I'd seen the abreviation before! I'm probably just making this up as I go like usual

One note to those of you who try this, I made one significant mistake - I cut the panels as high as I could and just did a 90 degree weld to the 3/16" plate. It would probably be a lot stronger to leave 1" and fold it back and then weld it.
                      Rob

Comment

VERY NICE!!! very clean looking as well... nice job...

I would caution you on something I noticed on the above pic.... STRAIGHTEN OUT THAT LEAF on the the rear left!! I have seen tires shreaded like that... just giving you a haeads up...
                        Todd
                        www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• robselina
                          304 AMC
                          • Feb 26, 2003

Originally posted by River Beast:

I would caution you on something I noticed on the above pic.... STRAIGHTEN OUT THAT LEAF on the the rear left!! I have seen tires shreaded like that... just giving you a haeads up...
                          Thanks Todd. The overload spring moves every damn time I drive the truck. I'll loosen the u-bolts, move it back to straight position, re-torque u-bolts and 10 minutes later it's like that again. I don't think I"m torquing to spec, I broke my torque wrench and need another to make sure it's not loose u-bolts.
                          Rob

Comment

• Bob Barry
                            Jeep Doctor
                            • Apr 09, 2000

You need to torque-down that center-bolt, and maybe add some spring-clamps! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            1987 J-20
                            Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

what he said... spring clamps are the way to go... and also tighten the centerpin... TIGHT
                              Todd
                              www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X