• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Jeeper
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2019

Help-How to open hood on older FSJ?

My in-laws have an older Cherokee or Wagoneer, early 1970's. I tried to open the hood, but I didn't see an interior hood release handle under the dash. I presume that there is a release that is reached through the grill, but I couldn't find it. The Jeep is in a field with other old vehicles and it is hard to access the hood area. Can anyone tell me how to open the hood? Any photos of the release?

David
  • threepiece
    350 Buick
    • Sep 17, 2005

Unless it has been modified there is a lever that is accessed through the front. There are a few variations but they are near the center.
    FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
    We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
    We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
    Resistance is not futile yet.
    Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• mwood65
      258 I6
      • Jul 17, 2017

Where it's at on a 74' Cherokee.... mine at least.

In the hole on top at center, lift up

Comment

• Heep-J4000
        350 Buick
        • Feb 09, 2014

Did a Google search and the other jeep forum shows a couple pictures of the hood latch mechanism from the full size Jeeps.
        Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
        73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
        80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
        70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
        85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
        83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• tgreese
          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Heep-J4000
          Did a Google search and the other jeep forum shows a couple pictures of the hood latch mechanism from the full size Jeeps.
          https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13135
          That link won't help the original poster. It shows the later style with an inside cable release. The earlier models have a release lever that's between the hood itself and the "hood bar" that is located above the grille. See MWood65's picture. On my '77 it hinges out, not pushes up.
          Last edited by tgreese; 12-01-2021, 10:33 AM.
          Tim Reese
          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Heep-J4000
            350 Buick
            • Feb 09, 2014

Originally posted by tgreese
            That link won't help the original poster. It shows the later style with an inside cable release. The earlier models have a release lever that's between the hood itself and the "hood bar" that is located above the grille. See MWood65's picture. On my '77 it hinges out, not pushes up.
            Yes I know , but from the pictures you can see how everything is in place and get the idea how it works when doing this without a view
            Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
            73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
            80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
            70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
            85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
            83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
              232 I6
              • Sep 08, 2019

Thanks Everyone,

I should be good at this point.

I'll try this out next time I am at my wife's work place.

Dave

Comment

• mwood65
                258 I6
                • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by tgreese
                On my '77 it hinges out, not pushes up.

That's interesting. Wonder why they changed it, makes no sense to me if it works why change it?

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 08, 2019

Thanks Everybody, I got the hood open today. The latch was in the center of the hood and I lifted up on it.

It is a 1976 Cherokee I believe. I think it has a 360 but not sure of what a 401 would look like. No A/C. It has a 4 speed manual and 4WD. Almost 100k miles.

I have to finish fixing up our 89 Grand Wagoneer before I think about getting the 76 running.

Dave

Comment

Take a look at the Vin, if it has a "Z" engine code, it's 401. Also can check on the side of the block above the motor mount. Displacement is cast in. Even if the code says it is, check the block anyway. I looked at a Z code once, crawled underneath and found a 304.
                    Art
                    ASE Master Collision Tech
                    "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Dave Jeeper
                      232 I6
                      • Sep 08, 2019

Is the displacement on the driver side or pass side of the block?

There were no Z's on the firewall nameplate.

It is an 8 cylinder.

Comment

Driver side for sure, maybe both. If no z, And a V8, most likely a 360. Never used the 304 in SJ's, though I've seen engine swaps....block externals are the same for all three.... straight bolt in.

Second digit is the year, for a ' 76, would be a 6. Seventh digit is engine code....N-360, Z-401.
                        That coding is good from 72-80.
                        Last edited by goldhammer; 12-06-2021, 09:23 PM.
                        Art
                        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Dave Jeeper
                          Is the displacement on the driver side or pass side of the block?

There were no Z's on the firewall nameplate.

It is an 8 cylinder.
                          Displacement is cast into both sides of the engine block, look behind engine mounts brackets can't miss it.
                          amc 304/360/401 engines look virtually identical
                          Tony
                          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Originally posted by mwood65
                            That's interesting. Wonder why they changed it, makes no sense to me if it works why change it?
                            Probably because you can get more leverage than the lift style, maybe easier to access, since they were becoming more mainstream vehicles.
                            Art

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Dave Jeeper
                              It is a 1976 Cherokee I believe. I think it has a 360 but not sure of what a 401 would look like. No A/C. It has a 4 speed manual and 4WD. Almost 100k miles. ...
                              Most of these Jeeps were automatics. A 4-speed is particularly appealing to some of us, and avoids some of the issues that the automatic examples can have. They are all 4WD. Note that they also came with a 3-speed floor-shifted manual, which you should not mistake for the truck 4-speed. The 4-speed compound low first - "granny gear" - is a long throw forward, and reverse is to the right and forward.

A 304 was available in '71-72, gone from '73 on. The 304 has an H in the VIN. Almost all of these Jeeps got the 360, either a 2V (N-code) or a 4V (P-code). The transmission type is also in the VIN. Post up the whole VIN and we can advise. If you worry about posting a VIN online, leave off the final 6 digits, which are the sequential serial number.
                              Last edited by tgreese; 12-08-2021, 09:59 AM.
                              Tim Reese
                              Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                              Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                              Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                              GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                              ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
                              X