• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YJason
    232 I6
    • May 19, 2001

GW Power Window problem

1988 GW power windows don't work. Took the door pannel off and pealed the plastic back. The window is on the track and you can push it up and down, just don't push it all the way down b/c it won't come back up. The motor is working fine and the gear is turning. The plastic thing that pushes and pulls the window along the track has broken. Therefore, when the window is rolled down the gear keeps turning and the plastic track keeps going until it runs out of gear. You can push it back to the gear and it will grab and push the window back up. It is broken near the window and will not pull it down.

Does anyone know where to get the plastic track? What else do you take off to get to it and put a new track on the metal runner and connect it back to the window?

------------------
    Jason
    ------
    1988 Grand Waggoner & 1990 YJ
    Jason<BR>------<BR>1988 Grand Waggoner & 1990 YJ<BR>http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...mallemboss.JPG

jeep has them but you can go to the junk yard (85 and up) im not sure how to get the track off while the regulator is in the door...

------------------
    John Z.
    My 82 Larado
    [email protected]
    "Yes that is a Real Jeep, yes the Jeep is older than me."
    1982 Cherokee Larado
    Edelbrock cam
    Edelbrock intake manifold
    Holley Projection
    31? BFGoodrich

Comment

• tuckers89GW
      304 AMC
      • Oct 17, 2000

YJason, you can get new flex tracks for under $20 from the dealer, or autoparts stores I believe carry some also.
      easy fix.
      OH AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM. It is a great place to learn about your jeep and from a great bunch of people.
      ------------------
      Mike
      <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
      <LI>'89 GW
      completely stock
      <LI>'99 Windstar
      under WARRANTY
      <LI>see MY JEEP[/list]

[This message has been edited by tuckers89GW (edited May 23, 2001).]

Comment

• wagdriver
        350 Buick
        • Oct 14, 2000

It is a standard Chrysler part, that can be obtained from the dearler for $12. You may find one from an Auto Parts dealer, NAPA, AutoZone, Discount Autor Parts etc. Once you have the parts, remove the speaker, remove the screws that hold the regulator(they are torx head)I think there are about 8 of them. Once there are out you will have to do some creative wiggleing to get the regulator out, it will come out of large hole in the bottum of the door. After it is out remove the broken piece of track and use the motor to run the remainder of the track off. Clean the track with what ever it takes to get it clean, wire brush and kerosene. Lube the T track that platic track runs on with silicon dry slide. Use the motor to run the new track on. If you inspect the door you will see that there is a stratigicaly placed round hole. Run the track up to that hole and lower the window to match. Reach inside the door with one hand and insert the screw fastener with the other. Tighten securely, it would not hurt to use some lock tite blue on this fastener. Then all you have to do is put all the suff back togather and you will be back in business.Good Luck
        ------------------
        wagdriver
        88 Grand Wagoneer
        135k and still going
        K&N everything else stock
        95 Dodge Ram 2500 360 stone stock

[This message has been edited by wagdriver (edited May 23, 2001).]
        wagdriver<br />88 Grand Wagoneer<br />145k and still going <br />K&N everything else stock <br />95 Dodge Ram 2500 360 stone stock

Comment

• ARJeepman
          258 I6
          • Dec 04, 2000

Dealer is cheaper in my area! The zone didn't have em in stock here. It's easier to take out the regulator to change it out. Just install slowly as the new can break if it hangs up. With the window position fully up,cut off the excess.
          86 GW<BR>360/727

Comment

• YJason
            232 I6
            • May 19, 2001

Thanks guys, I am starting to like this FSJ stuff. Lots of small things to fix, though, before I take on the major problems. I have had my YJ and done lots of stuff to it over the years, so typical Jeep stuff isn't new to me, just FSJ stuff. In fact my YJ will have part of the running gear of a badly rusted out '84 GW pretty soon that I got about 2 years ago. 360, D44, & AMC20HD to be exact. I am going to build the 360 on a stand before shoehorning it end. It will go with my NV4500 and either a 4:1 tera 231 or Atlas.

But first to make the GW a good solid vehicle for the time that the YJ will be down. Then after getting the YJ where I want it, the SJ will be getting the whole treatment too. That sure will be nice to be able to pull the travel trailer to college football games, instead of borrowing one.

------------------
            Jason
            ------
            1988 Grand Waggoner & 1990 YJ
            Jason<BR>------<BR>1988 Grand Waggoner & 1990 YJ<BR>http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads_u...mallemboss.JPG

Comment

Working...
            X