• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrFurious
    258 I6
    • May 05, 2005

Lift Kits: BJ's vs. Rusty's

Was looking at lift kits today on BJ's site, and noticed there's a big difference in price between their 4" kit and Rusty's (both 4" spring kits with shocks).

Now I know they both get their springs from the same manufacturer, but are the spring rates the same or different? Also, what's so special about the BJ's kit to justify the $170 price difference ($670 vs. $500)? The braided ss brake lines are a nice upgrade, but definitely not $200 worth.

Rusty's 4" Spring Kit w/shocks:
    - 4 new leaf packs
    - 4 new shocks (Rusty's Hydro)
    - Grade 8 U-bolts
    - Brakeline Extensions

BJ's 4" Spring Kit w/shocks:
    - 4 new leaf packs
    - 4 new shocks (ProComp ES3000's)
    - Grade 8 U-bolts
    - Extended SS Braided Brake lines

[ June 02, 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: MrFurious ]
    God, Guns, & Jeeps....what else is there?
    Jim B.
    1979 CJ-5
    304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20
    D30/D44 Wide-Trac axles w/4.10 gears
    Ox Locker in rear & rollin on 35's
  • Matty
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 01, 2002

Uh, I believe that they get their springs from different manufacturers, unless something changed that I didn't hear about. If its still as I remember, the spring quality of BJ's is superior to that of Rusty's.
    1977 wagoneer - \"Sarg\"<br />401cu of AMC rice eating power

Comment

• trailsforus
      327 Rambler
      • Sep 05, 2002

I also hear some not too good things about Rustys customer service. If you are on here for any period of time you know that despite their name BJs customer service doesnt suck...sorry. I had to do it. I will stop talking now.

-Dillon
      1974 NT Cherokee
      AMC 360 V-8
      Auto tranny
      rust was an option this year.

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

BJ's uses the spring maker that rusty's used to use. BJ's switched after having so many bad springs made. Yes BJ's has better customer service. But my dealings with rusty's has been fine.

Comment

• Pman
          350 Buick
          • Apr 24, 2004

I've never heard about any "difference" in the quality of the springs, just the shocks. I think the shocks BJ's offers have a better ride apparently.

I can't say anything about Rusty's customers service, since I never called them, but I did curse them for sending me several mismatched U-bolts.

Summary: I like the Rusty's springs, but hated the shocks, and had to pony up another 280 bucks for RS9000's. Soooo, if the BJ's Procomp shocks ride smoother, you'll come out ahead going with the BJ's kit IMHO.
          Pearsall Smith
          82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
          88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
          81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
          82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• tufkiller
            232 I6
            • Jan 12, 2005

bjs also sent extra hardware and ubolts. I reckon there for people with the amc 20. Since I was lifting a 74 instead of 76+ I had extra ?s and rusty provided me with very wrong info. Bjs knew alot more and honestly said on some of my ?s they werent positive. Bjs customer service was far better and more honest over rustys IMHO. Bjs also offered rancho shocks when I ordered but said the procomps rode alttle better.
            74 wagoneer<br />koenig pto/winch<br />360/t18/d20<br />4\" lift<br /><br />77cherokee <br />360/th400/qtrac

Comment

• Stuka
              • Jan 21, 2001

oh yeah, rusty's shocks suck @ss. BJ's has rancho or pro-comp shocks. Much better. Rusty's shocks are good quality, just WAY under valved.

Comment

• MrFurious
                258 I6
                • May 05, 2005

Well, as far as shocks go I'm a huge fan of the Bilstein 5150's. They're a little pricey, but I've yet to find a better shock and have tried several (including the Rancho RS9000's which are a close second IMO).

That being the case, I will most likely get a kit w/o shocks if possible. BJ's offers their kit w/o them, so that's likely the road I'll take. Now just to find someone besides Rusty's who stocks the Bilsteins and I'm set.
                Jim B.
                1979 CJ-5
                304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20

Comment

• Manhattan
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 30, 2000

I have heard that BJ's switch manufacturers (to a better spring) Not sure on that. I've never dealt with Rusty's because all I've heard is that their customer service is &@$*ing pathetic - wrong parts, late parts, missing parts...

Ryan & Brent (at BJ's) are awesome to deal with - Ryan actually brought the springs to a club member's house and spent the day with me (and 4 other club members) and helped install the kit! That's customer service!

I've since sold the Jeep, but it rode amazingly nice - springs and shocks seemed very well balanced.

My vote - BJ's by a mile.

Oh, Ryan is at the East Coast Invasion right now. I'm sure he'll weigh in on this Sunday or Monday and clear up the spring manufacturer thing...
                  Mark

Comment

• MrFurious
                    258 I6
                    • May 05, 2005

So Ryan, now that you're back from ECI what's the skinny here?
                    Jim B.
                    1979 CJ-5
                    304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20

Comment

• billyrb
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      • Aug 15, 2001

Originally posted by MrFurious:
                      Now I know they both get their springs from the same manufacturer
                      Man, first the Skyjacker comment, now this? Man, you sure are wrong a lot! j/k

We use a different manufacturer than Rusty does for our components. Our springs are similar to Rusty's. Rusty's kit has the Hydro shocks, our kits offer a choice of shocks. Also, our kit comes with the braided stainless steel brakelines. Rusty buys his springs by the truckload, so his prices for springs are a bit lower than ours. But, with our upgraded parts compared to his kit, plus better customer service, I think you'll be pleased with what you get from us.
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      [email protected]
                      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• MrFurious
                        258 I6
                        • May 05, 2005

Ryan, how do the spring rates/ride quality compare between the two springs? I know shocks make a huge difference in ride quality, but the spring rate does as well.

And don't worry, either way I decide to go I'll be ordering my stuff from you guys. I'd gladly pay a little more knowing I'll get quality customer service over saving a few pennies and having to deal with some @$$hat that won't give me the time of day if I have a problem.
                        Jim B.
                        1979 CJ-5
                        304 V8 - T150 - Dana 20

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

Spring rate is just about the same. You'll never tell the difference between the two rates by feel.
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]

Comment

• Spectre
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 26, 2004

Is there a current IFSJA special price on the lift kits?

[ June 07, 2005, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Spectre ]
                            "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• billyrb
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              • Aug 15, 2001

IFSJA discount doesn't apply to lift kits, transfer cases or sale items. Sorry.
                              BJ's Off-Road
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X