X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • temps425
    327 Rambler
    • Nov 16, 2007

So the up direction (tan wire) at the tailgate switch shorts when it should swap the ground for power. It provides the constant ground of course... I have tested 3 switches and they all do the same thing. I would have bypassed the tailgate switch long ago but I love having it.

Comment

• temps425
      327 Rambler
      • Nov 16, 2007

My conclusion is the window switch on an 88 is not compatible with the tailgate switch on a 91...and it looks like the instrument panel isn't either ...

Comment

• men in black
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 08, 2006

Originally posted by temps425
        My conclusion is the window switch on an 88 is not compatible with the tailgate switch on a 91...and it looks like the instrument panel isn't either ...
        Are you using the driver/passenger rear door window switch?

The front dash switch is grounded on both wires when centered
        (A13 ground splice) So both wires coming from the plug are grounded.

If you use the dash switch it gets its power from 15 12VT/RD
        and one wire stays ground to the A13

If you use the tailgate switch it get its power from the 22 12RD/YL
        and one wire gets its ground from A13

The 12 RD/YL wire coming though the bottom of the tailgate maybe
        chaffed and grounding out.

Last edited by men in black; 07-02-2014, 10:22 AM.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
        Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
        Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
        Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• temps425
          327 Rambler
          • Nov 16, 2007

I used a switch from the rear drivers side, rear passenger side I believe. Does drivers/pass make a difference?

Also I tested at the switch harness with 2 pieces of wire and manually threw power the way the switch was supposed to....with a ground through on one side and jumped from the red power on the other and it worked so its not a grounded wire...definitely a switch issue. also I flipped all 3 of the switches and always had the same problem. Also I took the switch harness apart and cleaned it.

Would it make a difference which window switch is used?

Comment

• men in black
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 08, 2006

Does drivers/pass make a difference? no

The rear door window switch is the best, the paddle is shorter but works.

If you ground out T2 12 TN and T1 12BR at the plug (under center of body)
            can you make the window go up and down with the tailgate switch?

Originally posted by temps425
            I used a switch from the rear drivers side, rear passenger side I believe. Does drivers/pass make a difference?

Also I tested at the switch harness with 2 pieces of wire and manually threw power the way the switch was supposed to....with a ground through on one side and jumped from the red power on the other and it worked so its not a grounded wire...definitely a switch issue. also I flipped all 3 of the switches and always had the same problem. Also I took the switch harness apart and cleaned it.

Would it make a difference which window switch is used?
            Last edited by men in black; 07-03-2014, 03:09 AM.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
            Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
            Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
            Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

Working...
            X