• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NO6YHY
    258 I6
    • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
    Its real easy to damage the seals or knock them out of square when pulling or installing the transfer case, is the output shaft grooved where the seal rides? did you replace the bearings in the case?, is the output shaft bent slightly? I "bench press" the transfer case in and out as I have better control as it goes in. and can keep it square. just some things to think about...
    Yep, I "bench press" it too. Usually takes a few seconds to find the hole. But in the few times I've had it out, the seals were always in place and looked good. Did not check whether output shaft was grooved. I also don't recall replacing bearings, or where those bearings are located in the case.

If all fluid is kept in by the seals, what is the function of the gasket between transmission and t-case? Does any fluid come out of the transmission?

Anyone have thoughts on whether putting two gaskets there would be ok?
    \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Get some long bolts and cut the heads off to use as guide pins. I believe you want 7/16-14 by 4" long. The FSM will confirm.

Originally posted by Driftwood
      Does anyone have any tips or experiences to share with me? I need to create a jig to properly level the transfer case and jack it back up into position and reattach it to the transmission. I'm a one person show and there are no extra hands to assist.
      1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• Driftwood
        350 Buick
        • Jun 12, 2000

After installing the fuel tank, I noticed I may need to remove it to allow for the installation of the Borg Warner transfer case. The front end of the tank doesn't seem to allow much clearance for installation of the BW.

Can anyone with transfer case installation experience share their advice?

It wont be to terribly difficult to drop the tank. None of the fuel lines are connected and the tank is only loosely installed with 3 bolts.

Here some ramblings below.

Sealed the fuel tank with J-B Weld SteelStik. New Sending unit, new pick up tube, all new fuel lines. There were many.

1"
        3/4"
        5/16"
        1/4"
        3/16"

Installed the tank this morning with the three bolts, 2 on the front, 1 on the rear.

Haven't installed the crossover strap yet. It is secured in place with 5/16 bolts and 11/16 nuts.

The J-B weld patch can be seen in the below pic near the RH end of the tank.

Last edited by Driftwood; 08-17-2017, 10:52 AM.
        1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
          350 Buick
          • Jun 12, 2000

I also did some patch work on the Heater core box. A couple holes needed attention. Also removed about 2 lbs of leaves.

Last edited by Driftwood; 08-17-2017, 10:54 AM.
          1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

It can be very tight, if tank is easy to remove go ahead and do it. It'll make job easier vs. fighting around it/lack of space.

I've done it all too many times w/ tank still in, sucky job.

Be sure to use guide bolts/threaded rod cut length etc. to reinstall case.
            Don't nick/scratch/look @ those QT seals wrong, or very high probability it'll leak.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Driftwood
              350 Buick
              • Jun 12, 2000

I figured the space would be limited. I'll drop the tank.

I'll remember to look at the Borg lovingly and whisper sweet nothings to it to prevent seal damage during installation.

I'm doing all this work on my back with the wag up on jack stands. This will add to the stress of maneuvering the "heavy as hog" borg.

I'll buy a transmission jack to lift the Borg into place.

I want to install the Borg with the low range unit installed and all fluids topped off.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by babywag
              It can be very tight, if tank is easy to remove go ahead and do it. It'll make job easier vs. fighting around it/lack of space.

I've done it all too many times w/ tank still in, sucky job.

Be sure to use guide bolts/threaded rod cut length etc. to reinstall case.
              Don't nick/scratch/look @ those QT seals wrong, or very high probability it'll leak.
              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2000

Any thoughts on reinstalling the Borg with the front drive line attached?

I removed the Borg with the line attached because the driveline hardware was impossible to reach for removal.

1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

I removed the Borg with the line attached because the driveline hardware was impossible to reach for removal.
                  that's how I did it...
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Driftwood
                    350 Buick
                    • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                    that's how I did it...
                    So tell me about the reinstallation
                    1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                      All Makes Combined
                      • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by NO6YHY
                      Piggybacking on this thread, does anyone know if it is alright to put two gaskets between the t-case and the transmission? I have had this thing off and on three times and can never seem to get rid of a little leak right there. I think the mating surfaces aren't entirely true. Will putting two gaskets in throw off anything critical?
                      This is extremely common, but don't put two gaskets together. Use one of the gaskets and trace it onto 1/32" custom gasket paper. Cut it out and there's your new, thicker, custom gasket. You will reduce, or in my case, completely eliminate that leak you're talking about.
                      Rob
                      1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                      Click for video

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                        All Makes Combined
                        • Jun 30, 2003

I remove and install the transfer case without the front driveshaft installed.

First, make sure the rear driveshaft is installed, and then mark the position of the joint and yoke with white paint/chalk/etc.

When loosening the bolts that hold the double-cardan joint to the transfer case front output yoke, I will push the Jeep forward or rearward in order to rotate them into an easier position to get a wrench on the head. Assuming you have a few feet to play with, and are not on a slope, it's easy. Installation is the reverse of removal.

In your case, if you're having difficultly reinstalling it with the front driveshaft attached, I would simply remove the shaft and reinstall it using the above procedure once you have the transfer case in and the rear driveshaft back on. Let us know how everything goes!
                        Rob
                        Click for video

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                          All Makes Combined
                          • Jun 30, 2003

By the way, I would highly recommend replacing the double-cardan joint if you aren't sure when it was last replaced or greased. I have personally seen one split an entire TH400 in half and destroy a QuadraTrac when it let loose on the freeway.
                          Rob
                          Click for video

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

I pushed the front drive shaft up and over the crossmember, bolted the Xfer case to the trans adapter, then assembled the front drive shaft to the front pinion. Last thing for me was bolting the reduction gear assembly on, speedo cable, etc.

I have a part time kit installed. Not sure if that makes a difference....
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Driftwood
                              350 Buick
                              • Jun 12, 2000

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                              I pushed the front drive shaft up and over the crossmember, bolted the Xfer case to the trans adapter, then assembled the front drive shaft to the front pinion. Last thing for me was bolting the reduction gear assembly on, speedo cable, etc.

I have a part time kit installed. Not sure if that makes a difference....
                              I may attempt your procedure first. If it's a no-go, then I'll follow Robs instructions.
                              1979 Wagoneer

Comment

• Driftwood
                                350 Buick
                                • Jun 12, 2000

I am making a pattern for a glove box . Many years go I had done this for my 85 wag. I have since lost the pattern. The aluminum glove box I created conveyed with the 85. It was sold in 1996. I found this old cardboard glove box in a junk yard. I carefully pulled the super strong staples apart and soaked the entire box in water and laid it out flat. After it is dry, I will make a pattern of it. It won't be a perfect pattern. Some of the box's corners are in poor shape.

1979 Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                                X