• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brynjminjones
    258 I6
    • Jun 11, 2017

Air Conditioning Control Module/Thermostat

Hi all,

I'm looking for the AC control module for my 1991 GW. It's a little black box made by Genelco that goes under the dash, with (I think) an 8 pin connector.

The only trouble is that I'm in the UK, so I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me get my hands on one!

Should look something like this, although this one is from a different car:

AC Control Module (Similar) by Brynjaminjones, on Flickr
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
    1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
    1974 Ford F100 390
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

where exactly is it located?
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Brynjminjones
      258 I6
      • Jun 11, 2017

Mine has always been missing, but I found the connector on top of the AC unit, roughly underneath the HVAC controls.
      1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

give me a few days, i can yank the one from my rig as it no longer has AC
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• Tripwire
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jul 30, 2000

i actually found time today to have a look, i'm buggered if i can find it...but i dont want to pull the car apart looking for it...hopefully someone else has a rig they are parting out - keep a eye out on e bay or in the forum
          Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• babywag
            out of order
            • Jun 08, 2005

I probably have a few of them somewhere buried in garage.
            They were also used in vw's and land rovers, probably other vehicles as well.
            VERY likely XJ's used the same ones, since they share many parts with the SJ.
            Tony
            88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• jpcoutts
              304 AMC
              • Jun 28, 2002

I believe that is called a thermister. I found one a few years back at a place that sells factory parts they bought. I can look for the info if you can't find one.
              Jim C
              '67 J3000 Dually
              '86 J20
              '79 CJ5(in pieces)
              '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
              Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• Tripwire
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Jul 30, 2000

i dont think so, the thermistor is a tiny probe that sits between the coils on the inside AC coil....looks like a very tiny pencil, he needs the actual module, i have sold two or three of the from parted rigs

steve
                Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

Comment

• jpcoutts
                  304 AMC
                  • Jun 28, 2002

AC Thermostat FSJ by Jim Coutts, on Flickr

Tripwire you are right! It's been a while since I was messing with the A/C on my truck.

Here's a pic of the one I bought 2 years ago, the part # is on the box. I think I found it on Ebay.
                  Good Luck!
                  Jim C
                  '67 J3000 Dually
                  '86 J20
                  '79 CJ5(in pieces)
                  '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
                  Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• fsj454
                    Long time member
                    • Jan 02, 2015

1990 GW

I see that one black box has 7pins and the other has 8 pins . I will look in my piles to see what I come up with . My 1990 GW that is my Dd has great ac
                    1982 cherokee nt. 454. nv4500 .205. dana 60 f+r. twin stick.hydroboost.hydrolic clutch.rock ram.traction bar.warn 12000 winch.4 wheel disc.flip kit.soa.high steer.cross over steer.4.56 detroit locker.35 spline rear alloy axles. 37s .1990 grand wagoneer aka trusty rusty

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                      258 I6
                      • Jun 11, 2017

Thanks for the help everybody, I'm really struggling to find one!

I never thought to look for one from an XJ, I will see if they share a part number.
                      I've been searching by part number so far but had no luck.

The box I posted at the top (7 pins) isn't the right one, it was just the closest picture I could find!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                      1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

I'll dig around...very likely I have several if I can find them.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Runyouover86GW
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 03, 2020

I knew I remembered seeing someone needing one of these somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. I found my spare in my garage while I was attempting to organize it last weekend. When I get home today from work I will look to see which one it is. I want to say that I put it in a new to me cabinet with other spare parts, so I would be able to find it easier.

Comment

• Runyouover86GW
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 03, 2020

Originally posted by Runyouover86GW
                            I knew I remembered seeing someone needing one of these somewhere, but I couldn't remember where. I found my spare in my garage while I was attempting to organize it last weekend. When I get home today from work I will look to see which one it is. I want to say that I put it in a new to me cabinet with other spare parts, so I would be able to find it easier.

Here is my spare one. It looks like it is in almost new condition, but that could be because of where it is located at in the vehicle. And if you want to send me a message, I can email you a picture. I can't get the picture to upload because the size is too big. I keep decreasing the size and it's still too big, so I am done trying. Been a long week and I don't have the patience. Lol

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                              258 I6
                              • Jun 11, 2017

That sounds great! I'll shoot you a PM.

P.S. Sorry I keep missing posts in here, I always forget to look this far down on the forum!

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                              1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                              X