X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

727 rebuild. SEVERAL pics.

rebuilding a TC-727 for the GW. seems people ask about rebuilding these a lot. there is nothing to be afraid of in these,pretty simple piece of hardware. this one is getting a TCI Truckmaster kit. pretty much the same as the Pro-Super kit,but without the race type valve body mods,which are not needed in this app.

the victim,pan removed and drained.

to start,remove the T/Case adapter housing.the park pawl is in this part.

next,two circlips holding the governor in place. thick one is at the rearmost position. you'll need snap-ring pliers for this one.

there is a rod running through the governor and output shaft,pull the E-clip off one end,remove the rod,and pistons. the whole governor assy. will lift off the output shaft now.

loosen the front band adjuster,fully from the case.

remove the shifter and throttle (kick-down) arms.

remove the filter,then remove the 10 bolts holding the valve-body.3 in front,3 in back,and 4 on the side above the accumulator.it should lift off easliy at that point.sometimes it can get hung up on the neutral safety switch if it wasn't removed.

this is one of the reasons i like the 727. the valve body is removeable,so you can get rid of an undesired shift kit-or keep one-simply by swapping the valve body.

remove the bolts holding the front pump. when they're all removed,you can firmly smack the output shaft to push the pump out of the body.

now we pull the guts. remove the front band linkbar,and swing the band around and out of the case.

pull the input shaft,the clutch baskets come with it.

pull the planetary and output shaft next.

pull rear drum. loosen the adjuster on the arm first.

push the rear band arm pin out to remove the components,will need to tap it with a hammer.

pull this plug from the front,in the bell,lower corner. 1/4" square drive.

pull the front band pin out to remove the components,should slide out easy.

almost done stripping the case. here i'm using a C-clamp to depress the spring in the front band piston,to allow the spring clip to be pried out with a small screwdriver. the center accumulator simply lifts out,the rear band piston uses a light spring,you can hold it back with your thumb.

the front band piston can get wedged up. lightly tap it with a hammer and it'll come shootin' out.

the governor housing does not need to be removed in a lot af instances,but it's held on with 4 bolts,comes off easy.

off to the wash bay for an acid wash for you....

next,rebuilding the innards.
    Last edited by Ristow; 07-12-2014, 07:23 AM.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...
  • FloridaFSJ
    232 I6
    • Sep 26, 2008

Comment

• andy d
      Shade Tree Shaman
      • May 06, 2000

Great write up. Could you please fix the thumbnail issue or make a Braille edition for us blind guys. TIA , old fart
      \'88 gwag,pure stock

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

i will fix the thumbnails. i think i'll have to reload them and put new links in. i'll try to get to it tonite.

i'll be doing some improvements to this transmission to increase torque capacity,and firm the shifts,in addition to the shift kit.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• ne715
          350 Buick
          • Mar 16, 2006

Originally posted by Ristow
          i will fix the thumbnails. i think i'll have to reload them and put new links in. i'll try to get to it tonite.

i'll be doing some improvements to this transmission to increase torque capacity,and firm the shifts,in addition to the shift kit.
          Bravo!!!Bravo!!! That post is a keeper. Can't wait to see the rest.

Comment

• 4x4marine
            232 I6
            • Oct 05, 2008

This will be a great help to me in the not to far future. Thanks for the great post and pictures.

Comment

• shadowjeep
              304 AMC
              • Apr 09, 2000

this is great. keep up the good work. keep the pics coming.
              Rick C.
              87 GW/360/727/5.22/6.72/46s(ShadowJeep)
              coming soon stak 3 speed, rocks
              www.kymc.org
              shadowjeep
              2003 Chevy Silverado
              "WHEN IN DOUBT, THROTTLE IT OUT"

Comment

• gte901m
                350 Buick
                • Jun 24, 2007

Originally posted by Ristow
                *** Tad,you can kill this if it's too big o' thread with all the pics. ***
                The more pics the better
                Where are we going and why am I in this basket?

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

take the input shaft and clutch basket assembly,lift the front clutch up and off the input shaft.

note the fiber thrust washer between the two,seen at the base of the input shaft on the left. it's dark red on this tranny.there are different thicknesses available. make a note of it and set it aside.

pop the outer ring free with a small screwdriver and dump the clutch & pressure plates out.

the next step can be tricky. you need to compress the spring pack with 2 C-clamps,so you can remove the circlip to release them.

you'll find the disengagement springs,different number of springs found in various transmissions. some builders put 'em all in,it provides faster release of the clutch. what is important is they are spaced evenly. the spacer is also the piston,it can be removed from the clutch retainer as i have in the pic.

rear clutch. as with the front unit,pop the snap ring out,dump out the clutch plates. on this one there is an inner snap ring as well.pop it free,there will be a black plastic spacer in there,remove it.

the rear clutch retainer can be removed from the hub now.i have also removed the piston from the input shaft hub,and removed the lip seals as can be seen in this pic.

Last edited by Ristow; 10-12-2008, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• baybilly
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 10, 2004

Great job Mike on the post, well done i could have used this last week when i was knee deep in tranny fluid on my trans.
                    I'll keep my guns, money and freedom, you can have the change !!!!!
                    baybilly = dave
                    1980 cherokee 401, TFI,msd, 4", 35's, The money pit!!!!
                    77 cherokee S ,parts
                    78 j10 , one day i'll get to it.
                    84 J10, parts
                    51 Willys
                    88 XJ, DD
                    92 XJ, the other half claimed it, DD
                    1966 GT-350 mustang/ project

Comment

• j20brett
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 05, 2006

Yeah...ill be bookmarking this...!!!

PS...i have one here if you want to do another tutorial!!
                      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• J10Mike
                        Delightfully Incompetent
                        • Jun 04, 2003

Great write up Michael. Keep it coming.
                        www.j10mike.com
                        Former - 1982 J10 Sportside, 360, TFI, 727/208, J20 axles, D44HD/Detroit TruTrac, D60/Detroit Locker, D60 disk brake conversion, 4.10s, 5 inch Superlift, 35x12.5x16.5 BFGs on AR767 Wheels. Procomp Super Seats. MileMarker 9000 on Cliffhanger front bumper. Dozer II rear bumper. Rhino Grill conversion. NP208 floor shifter conversion.

Comment

• mattmopar440
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • May 17, 2007

Good right up mike did it give up the ghost or was it just slipping real bad ?????

Also are you doing any upgrades need to beef that thing up for the new motor
                          87' Grand Wagoneer
                          401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                          84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                          80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                          74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                          Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                          Inferior Chevy

Comment

• janie
                            • Aug 11, 2001

Most excellent, most excellent, most excellent! This one will definitely be saved in the archives.
                            He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• NVJEEPER
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 24, 2006

AWESOME!!! mine needs a "tune" it has some quirks like taking a nose dive shifting into 2nd an a little slooww into 3rd. Thanks for the great tech!!!
                              Damon
                              '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X