• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clem
    350 Buick
    • Jan 18, 2005

The official "MSD sucks" thread...

I started off to work today. Happy to be driving my truck. The darned thing dies just like turning the key off. I checked all the stuff I can while standing on the side of the road waiting on my wife. The stupid thing turned over but wouldn't catch... I've got fuel, I've got air. Fast forward to now... I check the dizzy to make sure I haven't eaten a gear. It's in good shape. I check the MSD box. Nothing. I check it again and it fires a spark...
    Just to make sure I am not missing any thing, does any one have any idears?

If I got it all, the ****ed MSD is coming off and being replaced with an HEI.
    Clem Harris. <br />My other car is a 293,500 lb. locomotive.
  • Desert Beast
    360 AMC
    • Oct 05, 2002

prabably a faulty box.
    as hard as it might be to grasp, they might have a few items in thier inventory that might not work.

they are pretty good w/ thier customer service, just call them and they should send a new one out.
    If it aint broke, fix it 'till it is.

Comment

• Spectre
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 26, 2004

Try a Jacobs Ignition. I've had bad luck (and heard about others having similar luck) with MSD 6-series boxes on Jaguar sixes.
      "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• dedelus
        232 I6
        • Aug 14, 2004

The one thing ive learned from my brother MSD is that they dont like heat. if yours was mounted inside the engine compartment that probably caused it to start being stupid.
        1979 J20
        burned AMC 360
        33" AT tires
        thourghly burned in a fire

rebuilt as a "Franken20" of a jeep.

Comment

• Clem
          350 Buick
          • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by dedelus:
          The one thing ive learned from my brother MSD is that they dont like heat. if yours was mounted inside the engine compartment that probably caused it to start being stupid.
          It is mounted to the passenger side inner fender well. It sits in front of the fresh air opening in the front of the truck (air for the carb). I am not being sarcastic asking this, but where is there a place that doesn't get too hot on a FSJ? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I think, if O'Reillys doesn't pitch too big of fit, I am gonna try to get my money back on it and go with one of Zach's HEIs...

Comment

• Spectre
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Nov 26, 2004

The only place I can think of is on the AC ducts. Speaking of which, I got mine working. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Comment

• Bob Barry
              Jeep Doctor
              • Apr 09, 2000

Is your MSD triggered directly from the distributor with a harness, or is the Duraspark II box still wired in-between? If the latter, the Duraspark II box can still fail and render the whole system dead.
              1987 J-20
              Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Most of the problems I've seen or helped people with is usually bad wiring. Incorrect gauge/quality of wire, poor connections, corrosion in old crusty stock connectors, etc. etc.

They usually just fail, since your problem seems to be intermittent I would bet it's in the wiring somewhere???
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Clem
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 18, 2005

I eliminated the duraspark stuff. I soldered up my own connection for the dizzy to the MSD. The wiring is all brand new. Soldered properly(heatshrink tubing and the like). I am the overkill guy on the electrical stuff. You can never be too safe with it.
                  All of the trucks electrical was ouot of the loop when I tetsed the box and got the one failure with it.
                  Usually, if it's fuel or an intermittent type of problem, I would think (bad thing to do late at night) that it would stutter and cough and back fire. This thing died just as simple as turning off the key...

Comment

• Clem
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by Spectre:
                    The only place I can think of is on the AC ducts. Speaking of which, I got mine working. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    I need to mess with my A/C system. No time and little money with a move coming up.

Comment

• Green Giant
                      360 AMC
                      • Jul 31, 2001

Buy it some flowers, and beg for forgiveness.....whoops, sorry that would be what I do when.... er.....nevermind.

Possibly a bad ignition switch? Honda recalled my wife's Civic because they had a few just die while driving. Recall was to replace ignition switches.
                      Todd Moon
                      78 Cherokee Chief
                      78 Chief
                      66 J-3600
                      69 J-3500
                      67 CJ-5
                      67 J-100 w/BARN DOORS

48 CJ2-A
                      Proud member of Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                      cfsjc.com
                      No part of this post, written or pictured, may be re-used by any individual or organization or publication without my express written permission.
                      (Thanks, Flint!)

Comment

• Spectre
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Nov 26, 2004

Originally posted by Clem:
                        I need to mess with my A/C system. No time and little money with a move coming up.
                        I got mine up and running from zero in about six hours total labor and $400. This is that whole Sanden conversion thing.

[ July 14, 2005, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Spectre ]

Comment

• Clem
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 18, 2005

It's new too... When I say I redid the electrical, I ain't foolin'. It even got a new dizzy pick up just to be sure when I redid it all . I tried beggin' it to go. I gave up and cursed it after a while...

Comment

• Clem
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 18, 2005

So that everyone can understatnd my frustration- the MSD box in question was purchased in February. It has been parked/started up until 500 miles ago. That is why the title to this thread is as harsh as it is...

Comment

• Clem
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by Spectre:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clem:
                              I got mine up and running from zero in about six hours total labor and $400. This is that whole Sanden conversion thing.</font>[/QUOTE]I'll check back with you on that when I get after that...

Comment

Working...
                              X