International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > General FSJ Tech

Old 11-29-2000, 02:33 AM
brdshootr

The NP229 in My 84 GW bit the dust and now I need some suggestions on what to do. Do I replace it with a rebuilt? Is there a better case that will fit easily? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2000, 02:39 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Do a search on NP208. More parts for this case and lots of people are swapping them in. I just bought one yesterday to replace my NP229 and am rebuilding with some parts from this site. http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2....ss=Mil&cat=DRI Like I said search the forum for NP208 and you will get specifics on this swap.

Well I gave you the wrong link! This is the link for the part time kit for the 1339 case which will not work for you. Will look for the link for the rebuild kit some more. Sorry bout that. I might add that the main reason Im doing this swap is because I got the case for free! I also had a driveshaft from a Jeep with the 208 so no worries for me on lenghtening the driveshaft.

------------------
JeepFreak

[This message has been edited by JeepFreak (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 02:49 AM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Here is another link talking about this swap. http://www.ifsja.org/tech/tcase/np228knowledge.shtml I dont know if this is the best thing to do but it seems to work for some. Im sure you will get lots of opinions on what is the best so just figure on what you will be using your rig for and go with your gut.

------------------
JeepFreak
Old 11-29-2000, 06:05 AM

The 208 would be a good swap. It's a lot less prone to problems and a lot less complicated x-case. When you find a donor get the drive shafts with it if possible. Couple things to remember if you're not familiar with the 208 is that it's a part-time x-case so you can't drive in 4WD on dry pavement anymore like you could with the 229. And it's a mechanically(floor shifeter) operated so there is no need for vacuum controls "except" you'll still need a vac source and switch to the front axle. 83-84's with 229's have a vacuum actuated front axle so you'll still need to engage/disengage it via vacuum or leave it locked in all the time.

------------------
Regards,
-joe
63 2-dr Wag, 73 J-4000, 82 CJ-8
Old 11-29-2000, 10:37 PM

depends on your intended use of the jeep. as joe said,you wont be able to use 4wd on pavement any more,so if your truck is a daily driver that sees alot of snow/ice/or other inclimate weather useage,it meybe worthwhile to have a 229 profesionally rebuilt,or at least buy one thats in good working condition. keep it full,and change the fluid regularly.there are alot of folks with properly working 229s that are happy with them,and in all fairness,prolly alot of failures are due to neglect and improper mantenance.

having said that,the 229 is useless for off road use.the low range is locked like a conventional part time xfer,but the full time high range makes limping home on the front shaft not an option if you have rear driveshaft trouble.unless of course,you live close enuff to the trails to get there in low range

the 208 is a much simpler design,and much less problematic.you will be eliminating the vaccum thingamajig that frequently give 229 users trouble. it is a completely bolt in swap.you will need a longer rear shaft(if the 208 comes from a chero or wag its rear one will work) and the shift linkage from the little flag lever to the xfer lever.

just about any NP case will swap.a nice one IMO for a street truck would be the 242 found in xj cherokees.it give you 2wd,locked 4hi,full time 4hi,and locked low range. it bolts right to the tranny,but shifter mode will be needed,and the rear driveshaft on an xj is a slip yoke,rather than a fixed yoke,yo yoll need a completely new driveshaft.

the 219 will fit also.it will directly replace the 229,use the same driveshafts,and will eliminate the vaccum thingamajig.the 219 is a nice case also,giving you a full time 4hi and a high lock.the only bad thing is no 2wd.

hope this helps.any other ques?

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

T18/dana-spicer 18 with drum E brake and PTO swap very soon
searching for offset QT rear and PTO winch
Old 11-29-2000, 11:35 PM
brdshootr

Cool

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was thinking about the 208 swap when you guys pointed out that I will no longer be able to use 4WD on dry pavement. My truck is my daily driver and sees very little off-road use, just during deer season which it missed this year. Thanks to the IFSJA web page I have located a rebuilt NP229 transfer case and it is on it's way as I write this. The price is 750 which hurts but it has to be done and I'll have no problems with the transfer case for a long time. The company offers a 12,000 mi./1 yr. warranty.

Hey Scotty, we need to get together so I can see your truck. The description sounds like it will handle anything. Also there is a J-10 for sale on Brandt pike near Valley if your looking for another project. Like we all don't have enough of them already.

------------------
Carl
84 GW PITA-Pain In The A$$
Old 11-30-2000, 09:16 AM

cool!right now shes not much to look at,theres prolly still bout 300 lbs of mud clinging to the underside and some of the interior,but i do have a nice collection of parts to install. will let you ride shotgun sometime on a future trip,if youre interested.

i think ive seen the truck youre talking about,the guy wants $1200 for it.hes got extra parts,and it is super clean-i couldnt find any rust on it anywhere.it pretty much needs some tlc and put back together. is it the one thats sitting on a trailer? like you said,ive got plenty of projects.even if i had $1200,id prolly spend it on the GW.i need to build an engine,in addition to the long list of other stuff...

anyway,send me some email,or stop in an see me at work. i work at superpetz on shoup mill.

$750 would hurt me too,but its real nice to have a warranty

later,

------------------
scott
85 grand wagoneer
258 with motorcraft 2bbl/904/twin stick dana 300/dana 44/welded amc 20
38x15.5 gumbo mudders
snorkel/dual batteries/onboard air/"custom" convertable
3 inch body lift/mostly stock suspension/"modified" fender openings
custom front/rear bumpers and brushgaurd

T18/dana-spicer 18 with drum E brake and PTO swap very soon
searching for offset QT rear and PTO winch