• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crankyolman
    350 Buick
    • Sep 27, 2017

Just need to rant a bit

This afternoon I had to stop at my local Safeway on my way home from work for a few things, which is pretty common. As I walked up to the door someone walked out quite fast with one of those little half carts. As he walked out the shoplifter alarm went off and the brake on the cart locked up almost flipping the cart and spilling stuff out. The guy ignored the stuff that fell on the ground and began casually loading the groceries into a car that pulled up with thumping music. Some old man trying to be a good seminarian picked up the stuff that fell on the ground and set it in the cart. I walked inside and some employees were gathering to watch the guy. In a few seconds a manager walked up, I said "He's right there loading it into his car." The manager walked out and sort of confronted them but the guy just ignored him, got int the car and it drove off.

After getting the stuff I needed I was driving away when I noticed a wheelchair behind the Sub place across the parking lot. There was someone in the wheelchair bent over with his hand on the ground. He looked like he may need medical help so I pulled over and asked if he needed help, he sat up a bit and replied "No I'm fine" even though he certainly didn't look fine, what he looked like was a junkie on heroin. So I left.

On my way out of the parking lot a guy was crossing in front of me holding a rotisserie chicken with no bag which usually means it's stolen but he stopped and told me how much he liked my truck, which is always nice to hear but this has just gone too far! I'm so tired of watching everything around where I live deteriorate. Nobody does anything to stop anybody from stealing. There is a place down the street from this Safeway where I sometimes pick apples and plums where I often find stolen purses that have been thrown into the bushes after being emptied of any valuables, I've even found a laptop computer there.

The other day I stopped at the auto parts place for some transmission fluid. There was one other customer in there and while I was looking at the fluid options one of the two people who work there walked up and started talking to me about the truck. He saw the other "customer" walk past the window and casually told me "He didn't pay for any of that." The guy just took stuff and walked out and the employee told me they aren't going to do anything about it, it happens all the time and they just let them do it. I asked if that meant I could have the transmission fluid for free but paid for it anyway.

I'm thinking about sitting outside Safeway from noon til 3 and film all the people shoplifting and posting the videos on my Youtube channel. When I was in Detroit in '05 I invented a game I called "Hooker Spotting" where you drove around certain neighborhoods to spot hookers and rate them based on various characteristics like plumage, aggressiveness, apparent expense...etc. I wish I had made a youtube channel doing that but I'm thinking I might do a rating system something like that for the shoplifter and start posting videos of it.
    '72 J4500
  • conehead
    232 I6
    • Apr 24, 2006

To add insult to injury people like you and I are paying for those stolen item with higher prices to cover the loss.

Comment

• Heep-J4000
      350 Buick
      • Feb 09, 2014

There is some channel on YouTube that posts clips from the streets of Philadelphia.
      Did have a watch and realise that it's happening these days its very depressing!
      Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
      73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
      80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
      70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
      85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
      83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

• SJTD
        304 AMC
        • Apr 26, 2012

Problem is people are afeared to do anythin lest they wind up in court.

Local Vons has a guard wandering around. I wonder how much good it does and whether he'd do anything in those situations.
        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

Anymore, store policy is not to confront, for fear of the employee getting hurt, or getting sued. They either let it go or turn over any video (if any) to police.
          Art
          ASE Master Collision Tech
          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

like that here but just not limited to goods, assault, drugs, camping just being a dick in general.....country has gone to the dogs in most places
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

same here in SF

the police is not doing anything because our DA is a progressive and does not believe in locking up the offenders... Recall is on the way!

the police will not chase other cars... see above

Walgreens has closed 17 stores because of the same situation

the situation has become so bad... we are wondering what will be the next drama...

But if you injure an offender, you are more likely going to be dragged to the court... Welcome to the wild west
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                350 Buick
                • Sep 27, 2017

The fear of an employee getting hurt is legitimate. Back in the late 80s when I was going through school in Tulsa I worked in the automotive department of Sears. One day one of their security people chased a shoplifter into the parking lot and the guy pulled a gun and nearly shot him. It's still ridiculous to just let them walk in and take whatever they want and not even bother reporting it but around here the police do very little about it so why bother. Hell in Seattle proper they made it legal to shoplift so it's not even a crime.

I think the most frustrating thing it the lack of willingness by the police to do anything. That was the most frustrating part when my credit card number was stolen and used at two Wal-Marts in Texas within 20 minutes of each other. The second time it was used my bank was on the phone to me and had the card shut down before the 3rd time. I called the Wal-Marts and they were nice enough to look it up and had good clear pictures of the people and said they would save them for the cops. My next call was to the cops nearest the Wal-Marts and they could care less. Told me I had to file with my local police who told me the cops in Texas weren't going to do anything. That was exceedingly frustrating because if they did that to me they were also doing it to other people who's banks may not have been as on the ball as mine and they had the opportunity to catch them but just didn't care.

I actually live in a nice area south of Seattle and hate to see things going the way they are.
                '72 J4500

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

I have a very close friend that is Highway Patrol in Central CA. He has arrested the exact same guy, twice, in one day...for stealing two different cars.

None of the DAs here really go after the criminals and they know it. He said there aren't anymore more high speed chases because the criminals know if they just pull over, the fuzz will take their picture, and send them on their way but if they run, they might have to spend the night somewhere.

He has also said that since they are not really prosecuting Grand theft (auto), so why would they prosecute someone that just stole $500 in steaks and liquor? or car parts? or cigarettes? He has also been told when he parks at work (right next to the CHP Station ), it is best to leave your car unlocked and empty because if it is locked, the crack heads will break the window to see what is inside vs. just opening it and looking inside.

Your rant is valid. Your feelings are verified. Things are not going to get better.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

yep, it will get uglier

keep your ash tray and glove box empty and open, install a club ... (a local PD captain recommended the club... no need to lock it, it is a enough of a deterrent...

Local photographer was chased down by potential robbers... after the photographer put his gears in his car... they tried to force him off the roadway... He needs to buy an FSJ...

A few months ago a tesla driver stopped at a red light, spotted a passenger exiting a nearby car with a large object in his hand, ready to hammer it to break the back window... the rearview camera alerted the driver... and fortunately the light turned green... and pedal to the metal...
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Crankyolman
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 27, 2017

I live in a nice area and really hate seeing things going down hill as a result of the city just to the north losing it's mind. My wife is now afraid to open the sliding door for the cat at night due to an incident a few years ago but I will say Seattle SWAT conducts the nicest most polite raids I have ever witnessed.
                      '72 J4500

Comment

• iapexl8r
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 06, 2018

If they are not prosecuting crimes makes one wonder if vigilante-ism will be prosecuted??

A .457 wildey magnum is a shorter version of the African big game cartridge... it makes a real mess.I'm going out for some ice cream... this is America, isn't it?

-chris
                        1976 Cherokee chief
                        1970 AMC rebel THE MACHINE
                        1969 AMX
                        1965 mustang fastback
                        1972 international travelette
                        Yes I have a problem that?s why Iam here

Comment

• Crankyolman
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 27, 2017

Originally posted by iapexl8r
                          If they are not prosecuting crimes makes one wonder if vigilante-ism will be prosecuted??

A .457 wildey magnum is a shorter version of the African big game cartridge... it makes a real mess.I'm going out for some ice cream... this is America, isn't it?

-chris
                          Around here vigilantism would be prosecuted with a vengeance.
                          '72 J4500

Comment

And get twice the time as a criminal doing the same thing during a robbery
                            Art
                            ASE Master Collision Tech
                            "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• Bc409
                              232 I6
                              • Sep 21, 2019

Rant

Noticed several of these post are from the Pacific Northwest. As an Oregon native I can tell you, the local government and liberals in general are most of the problem. I moved to a red state 6 years ago. It is a breath of fresh air! Wife is also Oregon native and says she will never move back. I miss the scenery and outdoor rec but high cost of living, low wages and all the above mentioned garbage are not worth putting up with. We only get 1 life, why spend it with the dregs of society.

Comment

Working...
                              X