International Full Size Jeep Association
Home Forums Reader's Rigs Tech Library Trail Stories FSJ-List
International Full Size Jeep Association  

Go Back   International Full Size Jeep Association > Tire Kickin' > Diesel Swaps

Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Arrow Realistic sounding Trucker's air horn

My new to me '79 J20 w/'94 12v 6BTa has no horn in it whatsoever. I would like to have a solid city horn along with a trucker's sounding. The numbnuts PO had a cheese-mo air horn mounted under the bed facing the passenger rear and it doesn't work anyhow. I've seen some advertised in social media, but I don't trust the reviews any farther than I can spit. And the audio in the commercials sounds dubbed. Does anyone have any firsthand experience with a good unit that won't break the bank? I sure don't want to sound like a dying goose or anything

TIA!
Post #14 ~ http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=1#post1580206
Old 09-17-2021, 10:27 PM
350 Buick

IMO, a good sounding air horn starts with a good air system. Trucks are running 120psi systems with large air tanks, which give the horns the oomph and lasting power. I would think you'd need a resevoir air tank to make the horn sound good and decent pressure. Any factory roof mounted air horn from a salvageyard / classified adwill do. Stay away from the inner fender mounted horns (usually made of plastic) found on lots on later model Internationals and such, they are tinny. I wouldnt even consider anything aftermarket from china - not because its from china, but because its cheap. The material the horn is made of will affect the sound, stay away from.plastic horns. You probably dont want to spend the money for a new Hadley or similar, so I'd look for used factory stuff. But start wit the air system. A little line off a cheap compressor will.make even a Hadley soind wimpy.

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Thanks Backroadin'

I like the idea of the air horn, but a roof mount isn't quite my speed on a J truck. Although I imagine it could be mounted elsewhere, then there is the sizable compressor and reservoir tank. I do however know what you mean about the Internationals first hand I guess I was hoping to find a decent downsized unit or an electric driven model that wasn't tinny or like a strangled goose.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:24 AM
350 Buick

Yeah, I didn't mean to mount them on the roof, but just that I've never heard a bad sounding roof-mount horn from the factory, even on run-of-the-mill fleet box trucks. I have no idea how available they are used.
As far as the electric driven ones - isn't that what the IH's have with the air horn button on the steering wheel? I wonder if you put that through a good quality metal horn if it wouldn't sound better? Maybe a longer and wider one than what fits under the fender?
You could try searching opinions on the dodge ram cummins sites and places like that too.

BTW, thanks for spelling "reservoir" right - I knew I had it wrong but was too lazy to look it up!!

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious sht!"

73 Wagoneer - 4.6L Stroker (yeah baby!!) t176/d300, 3.73's, 33" muds, 4"spring lift, 2" body. Offy dualport w/ Quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:51 PM
AMC 4 OH! 1

Gotcha. I've never laid eyes on the IH so I don't know for sure. Thanks for the suggestion to poke around the Cummins forums. And I will be looking into your idea of the hybrid electric driven with the metal horn. I still have the small air tank the PO mounted under the bed. Maybe I can find a small electric compressor with enough CFM? Of course nothing spendy like an ARB.

TBH - I didn't even catch the typo