• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gambler68
    Rabble Rouser
    • Feb 29, 2004

First teardown of the new 79 Cherk, fun stuff

So since I'm still sorta braindead and sleep deprived from the megatrip to Nebraska, I decided to focus on the interior of the 79 Flint and I brought home yesterday. It's got a title and is going to be a driver, so I can save the big blue 79 I got this spring for fun stuff.

Carpet looked good so started removing it, then saw the horror underneath. Complete drivers side floor deletion, everything else rusty passed the hammer test. Weatherstrip rails are perfect, under cab frame is fine, veh. frame is SOLID. Very impressed.

ewwwww pretty skanky. No mice though, it was a cat house. Cats eat mice. Good deal. No cat poop either!

after I whacked on it with a hammer. Ended up chiseling out the rest to clean it up.

pass side really isn't that bad. Will just rust convert that

back is NICE, cleaned it up after that shot. Even the rubber mat is salvagable. Little bit of rust at tailgate. Pulled the panels off the sides and it's mint.

Going to try and start the piggy tomorrow

it's a 2bb 360 with FoMoCo carb, QT with LR, D44 front and rear. AAL in rear, stock front, leaky tranny to qt, etc. Looking for an aftermarket 4bb intake for it if anyone has something gathering dust, some 2" blocks for the rear too. Going to put in some 2.5" front lift springs I have so I can stuff 33" inchers on it.
    Last edited by Gambler68; 05-01-2007, 01:40 PM.
    1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
    1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    Hunter S. Thompson .

• JeepBountyHunter
    GrimJeeperReaper
    • Jul 08, 2002

Sniff sniff, I had one exactly like that once......
    Good finld though...Good luck getting it prepped and ready.
    Aaron
    1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• chrisnsarah
      360 AMC
      • Sep 24, 2000

Whew ! I feel much better about my floor rot.
      '64 J200 thriftside
      '67 J2000 townside custom cab
      '68 Jeepster Commando
      '69 Super Wagoneer
      '75 J10
      '79 Cherokee S WT
      '75 Cherokee
      '61 Aristocrat Lil Loafer

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by chrisnsarah
        Whew ! I feel much better about my floor rot.
        It didnt look that bad till I hit it with a claw hammer to find out. Shoot, the carpet looked good enough to save...uh uh.

As much as I'd love to buy a set of garys floorpans, I can't swing it now, so it's scrap steel to fix that. Got some nice Celica panels that would work...

I plan on sanding and primering the outside and repainting the metalflake silver and black. Plus black out the flares of course. Rattlecan of course

Thinking of stabbing the 4OH1 in it if this engine has any issues. Out of the 3 jeeps I own that it could go in, odds are this one will get the most driving.
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• grand_wag_85
          Murphy's Law Poster Child
          • Dec 03, 2003

No fair! 2 79 W/T's with black interiors!?!?! YOU SUCK
          You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
          '88 GW
          '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by grand_wag_85
            No fair! 2 79 W/T's with black interiors!?!?! YOU SUCK
            The exact same interior, actually :P Except the blue cherk had the neat southwest design on the panels and seats, this one didnt.. the blue cherk looked like this before a Bj's carpet kit, etc. This new one was basically left unmolested from stock.

I'm really boggled at the rust..it's bad where its bad, but thats it. Basically it was from water pooling, it didn't spread. Still has factory frame paint underneath under the grime..magnesium chloride actually. Kinda sticks on like cement, water wont wash it off, but a wire wheel or brush will.

All the rubber is good too
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
              • Feb 10, 2003

Now you know why we used the J20 cab to build Crom the 76 Cherc. body was shot!
              charlie
              KB0HXA
              "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
              congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
              How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
              Robert A. Heinlein
              The birth of CROM is recorded here
              http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by bigun
                Now you know why we used the J20 cab to build Crom the 76 Cherc. body was shot!
                indeed :P You need to rattlecan Crom this year!

I have a set of 78 Cherk doors to swap on here. The drivers door on this got opened a little too far and messed up the fender and door where it met the fender..little stuff. If I was better at bodywork and knew how to use my welder I could probably just fix it on the vehicle, but I'm better at turning wrenches then goofing with welders :P I wanna get it running and DD for for a while and see if its worth building up.
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• janie
                  • Aug 11, 2001

Ryan, if it's any consolation Peso's floor pans were so bad, they make yours look new. I've still got some pic's from when Bill cut out all the rust and welded in the floorpans if you'd like to see them.

Even if weldin ain't yer thang, I'd still give it a whirl. The weld's don't have to be perfect and we wound up herculing everything on the cab floor to cover up any boo-boo's.
                  He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Gambler68
                    Rabble Rouser
                    • Feb 29, 2004

I have a rustfree J10 cab I can scab a drivers pan from..the fun part will be drilling out the spot welds from the cab frame

yeah, if the little powermate 100 welder I have works, I'll give it a shot. It was a freebie

sure, postem up so I can see something worse than this :P
                    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• bigun
                      • Feb 10, 2003

indeed :P You need to rattlecan Crom this year!

I have a set of 78 Cherk doors to swap on here. The drivers door on this got opened a little too far and messed up the fender and door where it met the fender..little stuff. If I was better at bodywork and knew how to use my welder I could probably just fix it on the vehicle, but I'm better at turning wrenches then goofing with welders :P I wanna get it running and DD for for a while and see if its worth building up.
                      Unfortunatly it ain't going to happen this year the job fiasco last month has put a seriouse cramp in my funding to the point that right now the trip to Ouray looks grim. Crom will have to settle for the tank leak to be fixed and a lube job this year.
                      charlie
                      KB0HXA
                      "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                      How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                      Robert A. Heinlein
                      The birth of CROM is recorded here
                      http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• janie
                        • Aug 11, 2001

Ryan, Here's a few to give you an idea.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

wow! Yeah that was a pretty big hole

The 79 has dual exhausts and the mufflers sit right under the seats close to the rockers, going to have to add in some heatshielding over the new pan. I like how they did in on a M715 in JP magazine..durabak the floor, put in a layer of heat bubbletin, and coat over that.
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                            Murphy's Law Poster Child
                            • Dec 03, 2003

Janie-Nice What are those seats out of?
                            You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
                            '88 GW
                            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                            X