• Show
Clear All
  • Carleysjeep
    350 Buick
    • Apr 06, 2009

Originally posted by zmjeep
    I Personally, I think this shot looks bad @$$:

Heck Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    With something like that you don't even need a grill.
    Dan Rowe

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
    I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.
    84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
    77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
    89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5

Comment

• zmjeeps
      304 AMC
      • Jun 14, 2000

Originally posted by Carleysjeep
      Heck Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      With something like that you don't even need a grill.
      Just to keep the birds out...

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I didn't mean for Hankrod's stuff to get posted and then put down. Anyone who can do a set up like that is OK in my book. I'm sure there is a reason for the 2 intercoolers, hopefully we find out what that is.

Mikel, Couple more questions for you. You have a 'hump' hose on the turbo side of the intercooler, should there be one on the other side too? The reason I ask is, the set up I took off a 6bt only had one hump hose and it was on the engine intake side. Didn't know if one side or the other was right, or if it should be 2...

Just me in uncharted waters again...

Still turns my stomach that I have to do all the cutting on the NOS sheetmetal.

Zack
      Zack Heisey
      Z&M Jeeps
      419.893.4JEEP (4533)
      www.zmjeeps.com
      [email protected]

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by zmjeeps

Mikel, Couple more questions for you. You have a 'hump' hose on the turbo side of the intercooler, should there be one on the other side too? The reason I ask is, the set up I took off a 6bt only had one hump hose and it was on the engine intake side. Didn't know if one side or the other was right, or if it should be 2...
        I put that there to compensate for a bit of misalignment in the piping. The rubber elbows didn't give me the exact angles I needed. I may add one in the other side, to help dissipate some of the engine vibration and keeping it from stressing the intercooler too much.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• zmjeeps
          304 AMC
          • Jun 14, 2000

Originally posted by Mikel
          I put that there to compensate for a bit of misalignment in the piping. The rubber elbows didn't give me the exact angles I needed. I may add one in the other side, to help dissipate some of the engine vibration and keeping it from stressing the intercooler too much.
          That's what I was thinking, one in either side for engine vibs. I got a piping 'kit' with a bunch of straight pieces, 90s and 180s of alum pipe and a bunch of silicon connectors so I'm going to try to pipe it all together witout having tig the alum pipe. We'll see. It also has some 90 deg and 45 deg silicon hose pieces. Here's a pic of the kit...

Zack
          Zack Heisey
          Z&M Jeeps
          419.893.4JEEP (4533)
          www.zmjeeps.com
          [email protected]

Comment

• zmjeeps
            304 AMC
            • Jun 14, 2000

I used 90 deg silicon elbows to go from the ends of the intercooler through the radiator support. Should be straight shots to the engine and the turbo after that...

Zack
            Zack Heisey
            Z&M Jeeps
            419.893.4JEEP (4533)
            www.zmjeeps.com
            [email protected]

Comment

• budojeepr
              350 Buick
              • Feb 02, 2006

I don't have room for an intercooler in front of (or behind) the radiator, since I moved my rad forward to clear the GM 6.5. I like that angled one in front of the axle though. Any thoughts on its effectiveness? I assume the airflow would be much less...
              Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• zmjeeps
                304 AMC
                • Jun 14, 2000

Originally posted by budojeepr
                I don't have room for an intercooler in front of (or behind) the radiator, since I moved my rad forward to clear the GM 6.5. I like that angled one in front of the axle though. Any thoughts on its effectiveness? I assume the airflow would be much less...
                Got any pics of what you did? How far forward did you have to move the radiator? I've got room for the 3" thick intercooler, the A/C condensor, and an alum rad and none of it sticks out past the stock radiator mounts. I was actually surprised how much room was between the grill and the radiator mount.
                If your are using a full width grille (razor or later) you can cut out some of the sheetmetal on the front valance and move the intercooler even further forward than I have it. I was just trying to do it wthout cutting the front valance.

Zack
                Zack Heisey
                Z&M Jeeps
                419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                www.zmjeeps.com
                [email protected]

Comment

• Hankrod
                  Banned
                  • Jun 22, 2005

The reason for the two intercoolers is, intercooler flow restiction. A good or effective intercooler will cause a pressure drop. Pressure drop requires more pressure at the compressor and causes more heat, do you see a repeat of events? The correct answer is to provide enough surface area for the compressed air to flow through with a allowable pressure drop. I calculated that my 401 needed 72 sq. in. of intercooler flow surface area to allow < 2lb. pressure drop @ 6K rpm. Been allmost three years and I feel its setup correctly. Hankrod

Comment

• zmjeeps
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 14, 2000

Originally posted by Hankrod
                    The reason for the two intercoolers is, intercooler flow restiction. A good or effective intercooler will cause a pressure drop. Pressure drop requires more pressure at the compressor and causes more heat, do you see a repeat of events? The correct answer is to provide enough surface area for the compressed air to flow through with a allowable pressure drop. I calculated that my 401 needed 72 sq. in. of intercooler flow surface area to allow < 2lb. pressure drop @ 6K rpm. Been allmost three years and I feel its setup correctly. Hankrod
                    Like I stated before, I wasn't throwing rocks are your design or setup, just didn't understand the thinking behind the 2 intercoolers. Just out of curiousity, what formulas did you use to get the 72 sq in at 6k rpm? Is it base soley on air flow to the engine or ??? Thanks,

Zack
                    Zack Heisey
                    Z&M Jeeps
                    419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                    www.zmjeeps.com
                    [email protected]

Comment

• Hankrod
                      Banned
                      • Jun 22, 2005

Zack, no problem and I know that I'm a bit short on my replies. The formula I used was from Corky Bell's turbocharging book. I would restate it now, but I loaned it to someone...... and now its gone. I recall it to be a basic formula based on the internal fin count of the intercooler tubes and there flow rate. Hankrod

Comment

• zmjeeps
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 14, 2000

I was playing around with these:

For your 401 assuming 85% VE, 6000 RPM CFM= 591.75 CFM
                        For the 4BT (3.9L) 238CID, 90% VE, 3000 RPM CFM= 185.94 CFM

So we know how much air it needs, but I'm not having much luck finding the formulas for temp drop vs core size or pressure drop vs core size of an intercooler. I know PV=nRT, so I know the two are related, just trying to double check what I've done. I've been searching around the net without much luck. (Any one else can chime in here too).

Zack
                        Last edited by zmjeeps; 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM.
                        Zack Heisey
                        Z&M Jeeps
                        419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                        www.zmjeeps.com
                        [email protected]

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

Zack, if you don't already have it, that book Hank mentioned is the turbo charging & intercooling Bible. I got mine for about $10 on ebay a while back. If you don't have one and don't want to buy, I can dig mine out and find the formula for the intercooler if that helps.
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]
                          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• zmjeeps
                            304 AMC
                            • Jun 14, 2000

Thanks man, I'm trying to make this thread a good resource for anyone looking to do an intercooler on an FSJ, for whatever turbo motor they would be using, so if you could post the info in this thread, that would be great. Thanks,

Zack
                            Zack Heisey
                            Z&M Jeeps
                            419.893.4JEEP (4533)
                            www.zmjeeps.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

• Hankrod
                              Banned
                              • Jun 22, 2005

Hi Zack, I have the answer from ' Maximum Boost' by Corky Bell. Basically for every 500 cfm of air flow you will need 25 sq. in. of intercooler core flow area. Now at 14.7 psi of boost a engine can double its displacement flow. So if my 407 can flow 1400 cfm @ 14.7 psi it will need 70.65 Sq. in. of flow area. Many more veriables involved but thats about it. Hankrod

Comment

• JeepinPete
                                304 AMC
                                • Dec 09, 2003

I was going to use an intercooler out of a Dodge Sprinter van:

It fit in between the outer facia and the inner sheetmetal. It is rather thin, maybe an inch thick, but spans the entire opening. The 90* turns are part of the intercooler itself. It has to be mounted low to clear the hood latch.
                                Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
                                Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
                                Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

Working...
                                X