• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • '89_Wagon
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2019

Newish Wood Trim peeling off

The PO had the vinyl trim redone, and unfortunately it looks like it wasn't done quite right. It's peeling off in a few places. It's in very good shape otherwise. I'm hoping it's salvageable with the right kind of adhesive. Is it worth trying to get this stuck back on or am I better off replacing it? It looks like a 3M product that was cut to fit. Any idea what would cause it to lift off the surface? Recommendations on tape/adhesive?

'89 Grand Wagoneer
    AW4 Swap
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

I would try this:
    3 Heavy duty Super Strength molding tape

I used this to hold my Chief S medallion on my truck and when I removed the emblem, it took paint with it.
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Yep 3M molding tape. Comes in 1/4 to 7/8 widths. You want to pick widths that will cover the whole backside, ie, 2, 1/2" or 7/8 and 1/2. Cut the moldings off with a putty knife, without gouging the woodgrain panels. Remove all the tape on the molding and body with an adhesive remover. 3m makes one. Use an adhesion promoter on both the molding and body before putting the tape on the moldings.
      A nice warm day, or a heat gun will help the moldings conform to the body undulations. Let them get pliable before installing.
      All this is available at any auto paint store or parts house that deals in paint. Other brands of tape out there, never had any luck with them. Body shop rolls of the tape are around 60', rather than the smaller 12-15' rolls for the guy on the street. Little better buy per foot basis.
      Last edited by goldhammer; 06-02-2021, 07:03 PM.
      Art
      ASE Master Collision Tech
      "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• '89_Wagon
        232 I6
        • Jan 01, 2019

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll let you know how I make out.
        '89 Grand Wagoneer
        AW4 Swap

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Looks like the trim is shrinking causing it to pull away from the body. Doesn't look like it was made from the right material.
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

i did mine- it may not have been warm enough ( heat gun) to mold it to the correct shape so it returning back to its original shape? also the miters may have been too tight? you need a 1/16 inch min clearance between the joints, yes the 3m is a very good choice, prep is everything and you only get ONE chance to do it....so remove it , shape it, let it cool, re-shape if needed , then stick it on.....

I have the Damn T-shirt...
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• '89_Wagon
              232 I6
              • Jan 01, 2019

I think you're right about the miters being too tight. The trim pops out from the body on all the corners.... on all the trim.

I took the really bad fitting trim pieces off with the recommended paint scraper (thanks for the tip). Looking at it now, I'm debating whether it's worth salvaging. The corners weren't cut right and there' some micky mouse stuff going on. Some of the trim was placed to hide a section were the vinyl panel had sheared off. I also noticed some of the film had not been peeled back on the double sided tape... so that would never stick.

I might just replace all the trim. What's the best trim set out there?
              '89 Grand Wagoneer
              AW4 Swap

Comment

• Brynjminjones
                258 I6
                • Jun 11, 2017

From what I've read, the best trim out there is from Wagonmaster. They now sell it with the proper contours like the original, but it's not cheap!

Closed-Style Molding Kit is avilable for 1987-1991 Full-Size Jeep Grand Wagoneers. Use with Wagonmaster Marine Teak Woodgrain One of the most critical features on your Grand Wagoneer is the woodgrain and the Molding that surrounds and highlights it. The original product was discontinued in the late 1980's, and the entire dealer inventory was used and gone by the early 90's.  This is the replacement kit you'll want (and need) to complete your Wagoneer update or restoration. Professionally manufactured, highest quality production. Secured with 3M double-sided tape. No more rust causing rivets.  WE HAVE A SET OF PICTURES PUTTING ON THE WOOD MOLDING. BE SURE AND LOOK THEM OVER BEFORE YOU BEGIN. IT'S WORTH THE LOOK!   BACK ORDER DELAYS! May be 4-6 weeks! APRIL ‘24! Also, check out the install video by our friend and customer, Luke Conley: Wood Molding install on Jeep Grand Wagoneer - YouTube https://youtu.be/8qHOLjBxmBs Please note: We recommend warming up the trim to around 80 ° prior to removing it from the box and during application. This product is almost rigid at low temps, and quite pliable and soft at temps above 80 degrees. Use caution when cold to avoid detaching a corner or other pre-cut pieces.   Once the trim has been warmed to room temperature or above, gently dump the entire box upside down on a flat clean surface.    
                1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
                1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
                1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

Working...
                X