• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • got the willys
    232 I6
    • Oct 28, 2007

Carb for a 360

Need to put a new carb on my wife's 88GW and wondering what the recommendation is these days. GW is a driver with 140k on the clock. I'm trying to get it ready for colder weather and don't think I want to have the Motorcraft that's on it rebuilt; unless you guys think otherwise. I usually go with Edelbrock.
    Thanks for your opinion.
    Thanks,
    Victor
    88 GW
    79 AMX
  • bluehwy
    258 I6
    • Apr 28, 2014

I had an Edelbrock 4 barrel on my 79. Gave it to my niece for her Apollo. She ended up buying a new one because mine wasn't a match. I can check and see if it's still available. It was running when I took it off but I'd put a rebuild kit to it.

"And for those brave Right Wing Americans who say it's about... keeping America safe... if you want to fight against a country you need a F-15. You need a something a little more than a gun." ---Brandon

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

dirt cheap and stupid simple to rebuild the stocker.
      for a stock daily driver it'll get the job done easily.

the subject. about to be fully stripped for a carb dip. not all i'm doing is necessary for a general freshen up job. this one is going in the dip,so it sheds all it's clothes. i'd like to start by saying DO NOT REMOVE ANY BUTTERFLY SCREWS! either throttle or choke. it ruins the threads in the shaft and the bolts cannot be

My kiddo could rebuild one.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Brynjminjones
        258 I6
        • Jun 11, 2017

A second vote here for rebuilding the stocker!

I'd never touched a carb before rebuilding ours, and honestly found it incredibly easy. Very simple to tune too, and mine has been dead reliable since.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
        1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
        1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• inkedmonkey
          258 I6
          • Feb 12, 2021

Holey 500cfm 2 barrel on mine. Love it

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
            dirt cheap and stupid simple to rebuild the stocker.
            for a stock daily driver it'll get the job done easily.

the subject. about to be fully stripped for a carb dip. not all i'm doing is necessary for a general freshen up job. this one is going in the dip,so it sheds all it's clothes. i'd like to start by saying DO NOT REMOVE ANY BUTTERFLY SCREWS! either throttle or choke. it ruins the threads in the shaft and the bolts cannot be

My kiddo could rebuild one.
            +1
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• got the willys
              232 I6
              • Oct 28, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm cheap and stupid for sure. I've rebuilt so many carbs I just don't want to do it anymore. I want wondering if one of the newer Ebrock AVS models would be better, but if the old Motorcraft will work just fine, I'll have it rebuilt by a guy I knows who does them.
              Thanks again.
              Thanks,
              Victor
              88 GW
              79 AMX

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

By all means if you want throw a 4bbl intake and carb on there go for it.
                However, I wouldn't go through the expense or hassle on a stock engine.

You would be approaching Holley EFI Sniper 2300 territory if using a new intake/carb.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Bc409
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 21, 2019

Carb

I am using the Summit brand 4bbl 600 cfm vac secondary electric choke. Even after rebuilding the 4350 it was miserable. The new carb is great. My 1978 wagoneer starts great and runs even better now.

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by inkedmonkey
                    Holey 500cfm 2 barrel on mine. Love it
                    My experience - the Holley 2300 is a great carburetor on the street, but lousy on the trail. BTDT. The original Motorcraft works well on the trail (well known as an excellent off-road carb), and gets about as good a fuel economy as can be expected from that engine. The Holley has better performance, is more tunable, and gets significantly worse mileage.

Throttle body fuel injection would be an excellent upgrade. Economy, performance, drivability. The Holley Sniper is easy to install and well-liked.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• backroadin'
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 11, 2004

Well, I'm gonna be in the minority here, but...
                      I think a quadrajet is a good option. Small primaries for fuel economy and streetability, and vacuum secondaries for only as much extra oomph as your engine can use. Oh, and with center fuel bowl, they're great off-camber. I have one on my 6 and it works great. Actually had to richen up the primary side a bit.
                      Otherwise, I vote for edelbrock with vacuum secondaries. Easy to tune and simple.
                      1973 Wagoneer, 4.6L Jeep inline 6 stroker, t176/d300, offy dualport w/ quadrajet, pertronix, flowmaster

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads." -- Doc Brown https://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/cool.png

"When this baby reaches 88 miles per hour, you're gonna to see some serious shhttps://forums.ifsja.org/images/smilies/eek.pngt!"

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I replaced by Edelbrock with a Street Demon and it has worked well on the road [I havent been off road with it]. I did change the metering rods in it to minimize a Bog--they are like the Edelbrock and dont have power valves.

Comment

• 57farrell
                          230 Tornado
                          • Nov 12, 2009

Have Holley 4412-8 1818 2 barrel electric choke 500cfm I took off my Grand Wagoneer. Not stock carb.
                          Will take 100.00 for it.
                          Email me at [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                          X