• Show
Clear All
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

how do I check if pass window motor is bad

1988 wagoneer

all windows work except passenger front

it will not operate by either switch ( switch on driver or passenger door )

flex track is not broken

I have cleaned all connections in the harness with electronics cleaner, and all were shiny metal to begin with, no corrosion.

I just removed the flat connector behind the switch, the one with approx 6 wires that slides on the 6 pins on back of switch,....

I made a mistake and opened that connector ( opens like a clam shell ) and all but 2 wires came out of the enclosure, I guessed at their position, put them back, closed the clam shell cover

re connected and when I use the passenger or driver switch, you hear a slight click at the power window motor, and when at the passenger side with hand on end of motor, I feel the click when switch is activated, is that a good sign the motor is bad ?

P.S. I have changed the flex track on driver side when it went bad

and with flex track broken you can raise the/lower the glass with ease,....
    but if I have to remove the power window mechanism with out the flex track broken, and window in full up position
    how do you disengage flex track connection from glass because in up position, that screw is not accessible

dave in NC
    Last edited by SOLSAKS; 07-05-2021, 12:55 PM.
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

since you have the door panel off, just hook up a cheap battery charger with some wires to the motor and see if it goes up or down , you can change the polarity, if the motor works then its the body to door harness most likely, where it bends.....after a few thousand cycles the wires break....aint gonna be fun to repair
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• SOLSAKS
      304 AMC
      • Jul 25, 2016

tripwire

thanx

but I am so ignorant on that kind of stuff I have no idea how to do that.

and I don't have a charger.....

does the fact that I can hear a click each time either switch is used, and I can feel

a split second vibration along with the click in the end of the motor where wires

go in at,... mean anything, ( like its hopefully the motor ? )
      SOLSAKS - dave
      1982 J-10 Fleetside
      1988 grand wagoneer
      2004 RUBICON jeep
      Benson, NC

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

you can run some long wires from the battery and do the same test..... you need to keep 1/2 splitting the issue by ruling things out, i would start with the motor test, then clean the switches with contact cleaner, there can only be a few things wrong....the switches, the motor or the wiring harness....do some detective work, i should have a few good switches let if you might need them, my guess its the drivers side switch
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
          350 Buick
          • Feb 15, 2010

Take it to a mechanic. Electrical is not going to be easy fix for you.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
            304 AMC
            • Jul 25, 2016

to quote Lynyrd Skynyrd : " you got that right "
            SOLSAKS - dave
            1982 J-10 Fleetside
            1988 grand wagoneer
            2004 RUBICON jeep
            Benson, NC

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Do this, Dave. Use a couple leads directly off the battery and just hook directly up to the motor. As stated above, just reverse the leads to reverse the polarity to make it raise or lower:
              --Rob--
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

power seat wires are always hot too...unplug the connector and use them direct to motor.
                power window motors rarely fail, it's almost always a wiring issue.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by MysticRob
                  Do this, Dave. Use a couple leads directly off the battery and just hook directly up to the motor. As stated above, just reverse the leads to reverse the polarity to make it raise or lower:

Loving some clip leads. Very handy, and cheap.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 25, 2016

I did check the window motor using this method
                    motor worked fine,.....

then when I hooked power window harness back together

I tried the passenger and driver window switch, and now it works fine,....

what the heck ?, but I remember this happened once before

that time I pulled the widow switch out of the door shell, sprayed with electronic cleaner, wiggled it and checked for any obvious loose wires, and also un hooked and re hoooked the harness connector, and it worked again for a couple years until now,...

I wonder if it is due to me unhooking and re hooking the harness back up
                    and if there may be slight corrosion building, etc etc....

confused....
                    SOLSAKS - dave
                    1982 J-10 Fleetside
                    1988 grand wagoneer
                    2004 RUBICON jeep
                    Benson, NC

Comment

• oregonphil
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 17, 2020

Sounds like a bad/dirty/rusty/loose electrical connection. When you disconnected and then reconnected the wires it may have cleaned them off just enough to make it work again. Check those wire terminals to make sure they are clean and tight.
                      OregonPhil

77 SJ 401
                      72 Commando 304
                      07 Toyota Sienna
                      76 HD FLH

Comment

• MysticRob
                        350 Buick
                        • Nov 26, 2019

And inspect the harness wires closely. You've been moving things around as you work in there so it's possible there's a cut, nicked, or grounded, wire in there somewhere that might get jostled enough over a bump to lose enough voltage to kill that window circuit, and vice versa, enough to reconnect it during troubleshooting.
                        --Rob--
                        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
                        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 25, 2016

thanx all,.....

looked and could not see any culprits

but there could be one in driver door area

where it bends, etc, etc...

but i had already put that panel back on,...dang it....

but getting good at putting those panels back on !!!

cleaned all connections well in passenger door, cross your fingers.

dave in NC
                          SOLSAKS - dave
                          1982 J-10 Fleetside
                          1988 grand wagoneer
                          2004 RUBICON jeep
                          Benson, NC

Comment

• Runyouover86GW
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 03, 2020

If you message me, I can give you some troubleshooting tips. I have issues loading pictures on hear sometimes and if I can email them to you or if you have Facebook, I can give you a link to my business page on there. And I can message you some pics or you can also go through it and look at some trouble areas I have posted. For the time being though, two big trouble areas where you can do visual inspections if you don't have a meter (which I would highly recommend getting at least a cheap-ish one). It will help you greatly in troubleshooting. I give out free troubleshooting advice through my business and many other people here will help you with exactly how to set the meter up to troubleshoot your problem.

But back to it, two big trouble areas are the round terminals that go over the switch pins can expand a little bit over time, because they are split round connectors and not fixed in size. So after they are taken out time after time over the years, sometimes the round socket/terminal can expand and it needs to be closed a little bit, so it fits snug over the switch pins, but you need to be very careful doing this, so you don't flatten it out and make it unusable. One of the other big trouble areas is right where the wires cross through the door through that wire raceway by the door hinges. The insulation can dry rot over the years and the stress of opening and closing the door can cause the copper wire to become exposed. And actually I can't remember if you said if you opened up the switch itself to clean it out, but it can get very oxidized and corroded in there, and there are also pieces that can come loose causing a bad connection.

If all of your other switches are working, I would assume you have clean grounds. But it never hurts to double check those also. The grounds for your window switches all go through the driver's side door switches. If you have any questions feel free to ask here or message me.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 25, 2016

thanx "run you over", great offer, and great info.

I did open the round housing with the wires in a circular pattern
                              on the pass window switch, and I freaked out cause the wires jumped out

I replaced them hoping they were in right locations, and it must have been right.

still working for now,....I will keep all your info in mind.

many thanx !

dave in NC
                              SOLSAKS - dave
                              1982 J-10 Fleetside
                              1988 grand wagoneer
                              2004 RUBICON jeep
                              Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X